Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Hello and a couple of questions

#1 User is offline   oryctolagi 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-September-19, 13:57

I signed up for BBO some years ago but returned to the site only a few days ago.

I've not played bridge 'properly' since I was a student, nearly 40 years ago, so I've probably forgotten a lot. Since then, I've not had contact with any fellow-players. I was never a very serious player even then, so I'm looking for something very informal.

I've had a browse around and I'm thinking of using the 'join a table at random' facility, but I've got some questions.

Some online third-party reviews of BBO, say you have support for Rubber Bridge but I don't see any. I've found some older posts which say this is not supported. Is this still the case? I would prefer to play Rubber, with the additional feature of being able to bid from a part-score, but if it's not available I can live without it.

I only know ACOL, and I would be very much at sea if I found myself bidding with players using another convention - even the popular SAYC would quickly get me 'lost'. If I join a table at random, how can I limit myself to ACOL users?

Cheers.
Pete.

#2 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-September-19, 16:57

Hi Pete, welcome to the forum!

I believe rubber bridge is still possible in the downloaded windows version of bbo. With the web version you can play total points which is a bit similar. Most play IMP and if you play that you can use the same strategy as when playing total points.

Go to the Acol club (select list all tables, then public and private tables, then acol club). It is a very beginner friendly club, much better than joining a random table. People their mostly play modern English Acol, i.e. longest suit first and 1nt with all balanced 12-14 hands. If you are uncomfortable with modern treatments like weak two-openings and transfers, you can tell your partner that you don't play those.

If you have questions about bidding and play strategies then this forum is the place to ask.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#3 User is offline   oryctolagi 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-20, 02:12

Thanks Helene, I'll have another look around the BBO options.
Pete.

#4 User is offline   jandrew 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-20, 08:53

Hi Pete
You will be very welcome at the Acol Players' Club on BBO.
We are a public club - so no joining, or pack-drill.
You are sure to find a table to welcome you - enjoy.

Why not have a look at our website - just click here

jandrew (webmaster)

#5 User is offline   oryctolagi 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-28, 11:32

Thanks (belately) JAndrew, for your encouragement.

I have joined in a few tables now, played a few hands: some successful, some rather less so :( . I've made many mistakes (don't we all?!).

I now have a bit of a dilemma.

I got a rather hostile private message from another member, after I'd made a poor bid. That individual has also added content to his/her profile, which may or may not have been there before, I don't know, but which I interpret as decidedly unfriendly. I've put that person on my 'ignore' list and will endeavour to keep clear of them, I don't want to get into a slanging match.

Have I done the right thing? As I understood it, looking at the FAQs, it is 'not on' to engage in heavy criticism of other BBO players. Especially newbies - even if they're wrong.

#6 User is offline   jandrew 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-28, 12:52

I am sad that you got an adverse reaction from another player.
The information you give is not sufficient to make relevant enquiries or take action. Indeed, the appropriate thing to do if you feel aggrieved is to complain (with full information) to abuse@bridgebase.com
I trust that you will find better times by avoiding players who upset you - there are very few.

#7 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-September-29, 08:34

Welcome to the Internet, that's the way things are. It's like nasty comments below YouTube videos -- people like to crap on others.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users