• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How to bid and play this 4H at the edge

#1 User is offline   zdedo 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-September-18, 04:10

In this hand is E had to bid game? or how is the right bid?
2- how to play the hand after the K lead followed by Q over took by A and club ruff - exit with Spade 5?
Thank you

#2 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-September-18, 04:43

W needs to bid 3 on his second call. His 2 bid is consistent with Jxxx xx xxx KQxx, so E was being quite ambitious in even raising to 3.

[ETA] West might just pass 2 with this to avoid encouraging his partner to continue, but make it Jxxx xx xx KQxxx and he'd have to bid as in the OP.
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#3 User is offline   zdedo 

• PipPip

Posted 2015-September-18, 04:50

View PostJinksy, on 2015-September-18, 04:43, said:

W needs to bid 3 on his second call. His 2 bid is consistent with Jxxx xx xxx KQxx, so E was being quite ambitious in even raising to 3.

So you mean both are wrong bids 2 and 3 ?

#4 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-18, 08:06

2 is definitely wrong. He'd have been better raising 1 to 2 on his first call, which at least shows 3-card support (but shows about 5-9 points, so still understates this hand slightly).

E's third call in the auction (assuming W's 2 bid) is tougher. If he passes, he might find they make game when partner has a good 9-count. If he bids 3, he's really suggesting a 6-card suit (since P might only have 2 hearts), so might find himself uncomfortably high on a 5-2 fit. If he bids 2N without a club stop, the opponents might run the club suit against him in 2N or 3N (or he might just find partner with a misfitting 6 count and have no play to make even on a non-club lead). Personally I would pass 2 since my jacks don't look like they're pulling much weight without some intermediates to back them up, but I doubt that will be a universal choice on the forum.

If the bidding goes - as it should - 1 1 / 2 3, now E has an easy raise to 4.

#5 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2015-September-18, 09:28

(The following assumes you are playing 5-card major openings.)

If you are too weak to invite, you must show your support for partner's suit immediately, hence 1 followed by 2 denies as many as 3 hearts. I do consider West's hand to be strong enough to invite, but to show this he must bid 3 rather than 2. East even gave him another chance to catch up by bidding 3 - at this point bidding 4 should really be automatic for West.

From East's point of view, given that 2 denies 3-card support, 3 is surely the wrong call. I do understand his desire to invite, but the bid for that must be 2NT.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#6 User is offline   kuhchung 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-September-18, 11:31

lol I could see myself bidding 1H 2H all pass

Might be a pickup against 4H -1 :)
Videos of the worst bridge player ever playing bridge:
https://www.youtube....hungPlaysBridge

#7 User is offline   zdedo 

• PipPip

Posted 2015-September-18, 16:09

I suggest the biding can go like this
1-1-2-3-4

now every replay is ignoring the play- but fyi it makes but How?

#8 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-18, 17:46

View Postzdedo, on 2015-September-18, 16:09, said:

now every replay is ignoring the play- but fyi it makes but How?

Well, I didn't quite understand how you said it started. On the third round of clubs, what did we do? Ruff and get overruffed? Discard something?
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#9 User is offline   cheers OvO 

• Pip
  • Interests:always apologize to your p for any foolish mistake. never cheat too much on your level. no name-calling nor arrogance with ignorance. otherwise you deserve no respect.

Posted 2015-September-19, 01:37

1S isn't a bid worse than 2H/3H because west may find a better fit if east has 4support. After east bids a new suit to show a good hand which is not so strong, west has to stop at 4H immediately with not so good distribution but 3support and 10hcp only and to indicate that you have 4H(he knows you have 25+pts) but he has no interest in slams. So I suggest the process:1H-1S-2D-4H. Some readers may dislike 2D weaker than a general reverse because 3jacks are the most useless honors, but it's more acceptable in relaxed discussion.

After north plays the 3rd round club, south seems to have another doubleton. If you ignore the trumping, you will get down if you can't draw HQ or DK. We must try a safer play. And we have to think about the distribution of trumps:
(1) There is no hope for you with 5-5-3-0
(2) With weird hand like 5-4-3-1(especially Qxxx&x on opps) and void spade and void diamond, it will go too far in this relaxed discussion. But you can go to advanced+ area to ask for more perfect plays.
(3) With 5-3-3-2, it's much easier to draw all the trumps. But it doesn't say it's so easy to make 4H. Here we take 4 situations into account. (south/north)
a. Qx/xxx b. xxx/Qx c.Qxx/xx d.xx/Qxx

As I have said you had best not ignore the trumping of 3rd round club, I suggest you play HJ. If south trumps by HQ in situation a and situation c, you will make 4H however they defend. Otherwise north has HQ in situation b and situation d. And then I suggest you play HA and then H10. In situation d, HQ becomes your 3rd loser but then you can play SK, SQ and then play the cross on trump to dummy for spades. But in situation b, HQ becomes your 3rd loser and then north may play the 4th round club for one more possible trumping by south. At this position the only hope for you is to play H8 and then you will get down with H9 on south;Otherwise you will still make it. The pholosophy of my play is to save a cross on trumps to dummy to prevent the distribution of spades is 5-4-2-2 with 10xxx/xx on opps and so you can't run away the possible loser on diamonds unless you draw DK on north. Some players may play HA and then HK, but in situation c and situation d they will get 3rd loser immediately and so they will be more likely to get down unless they get 5-5-3-3 spades or 5-4-4-2 with 10x/xxxx on opps.

#10 User is offline   Trump Echo 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-19, 05:04

I agree with Jinsky

#11 User is offline   fourdad 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Football, Coaching, Family, Writing

Posted 2015-September-19, 13:53

While I understand that this may overlook a possible 5-4 spade fit, I have found that chasing a second fit once you know you have a fit is more often counterproductive than not.
Hence the most straightforward bid by W is an immediate jump raise to 3. E bids 4 and the auction is done.

As to the play, if I understand correctly, Declarer has lost the forst 3 tricks and is in with a spade?

#12 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-19, 17:31

View Postfourdad, on 2015-September-19, 13:53, said:

While I understand that this may overlook a possible 5-4 spade fit, I have found that chasing a second fit once you know you have a fit is more often counterproductive than not.
Hence the most straightforward bid by W is an immediate jump raise to 3. E bids 4 and the auction is done.

Only if you use stone-age bidding methods. For pretty much all strong players 3 would show 4-card support, and for many it would be a preemptive raise, denying this many points.

#13 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-19, 23:11

View PostJinksy, on 2015-September-19, 17:31, said:

Only if you use stone-age bidding methods. For pretty much all strong players 3 would show 4-card support, and for many it would be a preemptive raise, denying this many points.

FWIW that particular stone-age method works reasonably well and I have agreed to play it in a pickup partnership as recently as 2015. ;) But yes, serious partnerships will obviously play a different method, such as 1-2 = 3-card limit raise.
    -- Bertrand Russell

#14 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-20, 02:32

View Postmgoetze, on 2015-September-19, 23:11, said:

FWIW that particular stone-age method works reasonably well and I have agreed to play it in a pickup partnership as recently as 2015. ;) But yes, serious partnerships will obviously play a different method, such as 1-2 = 3-card limit raise.

Most stone-age methods work passably (whether or not you happen to have played them) but they are still neither optimal nor standard, and shouldn't be advocated as such in here.

#15 User is offline   zdedo 

• PipPip

Posted 2015-September-20, 05:26

Here is the full hand and how it makes 10 tricks
The q now how can declarer tills the 4-1 split?

#16 User is offline   zdedo 

• PipPip

#17 User is offline   zdedo 

• PipPip

#18 User is offline   fourdad 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-20, 05:45

View PostJinksy, on 2015-September-20, 02:32, said:

Most stone-age methods work passably (whether or not you happen to have played them) but they are still neither optimal nor standard, and shouldn't be advocated as such in here.

And I have found that most do not have std partnership agreements and claim to be adv experts when they are not and do not fully understand the systemic "ripple" effects of the so called "non-stone age" agreements.

A bidding system must fit like a glove and what arrogance refers to as stone age can just as easily be referred to as solid, proven basics.

#19 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-20, 06:23

Stone age methods have ripple effects too, and you can't expect them to be some universal default. Few decent players would expect to find a hand with 3 hearts for an undiscussed 3 bid. Most of the time you'll get away with it, but it's a poor use of the space, and will occasionally lead to silly contracts (including when you don't bid it, because of aforementioned ripples).

If you're going to bandy around accusations of arrogance, don't jump into a thread announcing that your way is the 'most straightforward' and therefore implicitly the best one. Especially when it isn't either.

#20 User is offline   fourdad 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-20, 09:05

View PostJinksy, on 2015-September-20, 06:23, said:

Stone age methods have ripple effects too, and you can't expect them to be some universal default. Few decent players would expect to find a hand with 3 hearts for an undiscussed 3 bid. Most of the time you'll get away with it, but it's a poor use of the space, and will occasionally lead to silly contracts (including when you don't bid it, because of aforementioned ripples).

If you're going to bandy around accusations of arrogance, don't jump into a thread announcing that your way is the 'most straightforward' and therefore implicitly the best one. Especially when it isn't either.

Was not taking a personal shot, rather a general comment...and did not say that my suggstion was "better" or "worse"....I always believe that these issues come up because of no partnership agreement the vast majority of the time.

Having said that, the suggestion I made works here. I will continue to make what you view as "stone age" and they will continue to work.

Feel free to pint out when they do not!

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users