Posted 2015-September-16, 14:22

A3
AQ54
Q9642

KQ92
AJ652
A3

1D 2C 2D 2H 2N 3N

Lead: s7 (2/4th). If you choose to duck RHO plays the J.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#2 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-September-16, 14:52

We need some luck and assuming either minor (or both) break 33 it seems better to attack clubs since there is a 50% chance of establishing 4 clubs with only 1 loser and only a 25% chance of doing the same in diamonds. 4c 3s 1d 1h and with a lot of luck we have a heart finesse for an overtrick and a 4th spade for another overtrick)

trick 1 win the K (at least give the delusion east has the Q since if w wins the club K we prefer a spade continuation vs a heart switch)
trick 2 club ace
trick 3 club toward the Q and hope and hope some more that they split 33 and lho has the K. If the Q holds play another club and pitch a dia (trying to encourage anything but a heart shift)

If clubs will not come in for 4 tricks it seems best to fall back on hoping rho has the KQ of diamonds.

The opening lead may make it possible for you to win 4 spades so avoid tossing those willy nilly. It might also be feasible to use the 4th spade as a throw in against east.

Umm keep your expectations low when anticipating making this one:)

#3 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2015-September-17, 20:12

Clubs seem pretty obvious to establish but today diamonds were 33 and clubs were KT9x over the Q.

Naturally the PIQ worked on diamonds which just makes the Q that much larger.
Hi y'all!

#4 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2015-September-17, 20:32

If this was online, report it as suspicious, which it is if declarer is even semi-competent. If in real life, with a director or recorder, report it.

I am more than a little concerned that all of the publicity about cheating is going to result in a LOT of very dubious rumour-mongering. Even good players are allowed to make offbeat plays from time to time, and to get lucky. It takes a pattern of consistency to indicate cheating. Hyper-vigilance may end up destroying the game even more than does cheating.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#5 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2015-September-17, 20:37

mikeh, on 2015-September-17, 20:32, said:

If this was online, report it as suspicious, which it is if declarer is even semi-competent. If in real life, with a director or recorder, report it.

I am more than a little concerned that all of the publicity about cheating is going to result in a LOT of very dubious rumour-mongering. Even good players are allowed to make offbeat plays from time to time, and to get lucky. It takes a pattern of consistency to indicate cheating. Hyper-vigilance may end up destroying the game even more than does cheating.

Mike, I'm more amused than angered by things like this in an online game (which I didn't mentioned).

If this player feels the need to hold his place and ruin his reputation in the process, then thats his prerogative.

If this game was the least important then I'd record it.

PM if you want more details because there's a humorous (at least to me) side to it.
Hi y'all!

#6 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-18, 03:26

mikeh, on 2015-September-17, 20:32, said:

I consider your statement contradictory and I happen to agree with the second half.
I also consider myself "semi-competent", but it is anything but obvious to me how to tackle the hand.
Sure in isolation clubs offers better prospects than diamonds.
But you can not look at a suit in isolation.
Entry considerations are always important to someone who is "semi-competnent".
If you attack clubs you would probably have to play ace followed by a low one to the queen. (But low to the queen without cashing the ace is another option, but both black suits are then blocked.)
Even if that works opponents can counter with attacking diamonds and dislodge your last entry in hand and your spades tricks are blocked.
By the way Suitplay gives the chance for 4 club tricks as 17.76% a far cry from 50% mentioned above. The chance for 3 club tricks is 63% and 47% in diamonds
This hand is very complex and I doubt I would find the best line at the table.
But I would find no reason for reporting anything if a "semi-competent" declarer started with ducking a diamond.
For me reporting here is more proof of general paranoia fed on recent revelations and unwillingness of people accepting bad results with good grace.
For some the next cheat is always round the corner now.

Raner Herrmann

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users