BBO Discussion Forums: A bid about limli raise - BBO Discussion Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

A bid about limli raise

Poll: A bid about limli raise (22 member(s) have cast votes)

Which bid would you choose?About the first responce of east

1. 2s (2 votes [8.70%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.70%

2. pass (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. 3s (14 votes [60.87%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 60.87%

4. It needs agreement with your p (7 votes [30.43%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 30.43%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   cheers OvO 

• Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:always apologize to your p for any foolish mistake. never cheat too much on your level. no name-calling nor arrogance with ignorance. otherwise you deserve no respect.

Posted 2015-September-16, 00:15

http://tinyurl.com/qbrzy5p
As you all can see now, rd bid 3s and I tried slams. He then answered 5c after we agreed to play his rkcb0314. Althought I stopped at 5s, I still got down because I failed to draw QJX on opp.
Just after the lead, I said "5pts???" and then he explained it as a limit raise. He kept on to say I should have bid a double rather than the overcall. What's more, he said "wd idiot p" when he found the contract was going down.
Anyway, his answer should be 5d due to clubA and I preferred 2s to 3s. But now I want to listen to more constructive advices.

#2 User is offline   akwoo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-September-16, 00:25

View Postcheers OvO, on 2015-September-16, 00:15, said:

http://tinyurl.com/qbrzy5p
As you all can see now, rd bid 3s and I tried slams. He then answered 5c after we agreed to play his rkcb0314. Althought I stopped at 5s, I still got down because I failed to draw QJX on opp.
Just after the lead, I said "5pts???" and then he explained it as a limit raise. He kept on to say I should have bid a double rather than the overcall. What's more, he said "wd idiot p" when he found the contract was going down.
Anyway, his answer should be 5d due to HA and I preferred 2s to 3s. But now I want to listen to more constructive advices.

At any other vulnerability, I would bid 3 without question. I think it is normal that 3 in that position shows 4 spades and less than 10 points (and some play less than 8 or even less than 6 in some situations). If one has strength and support, one bids the opponents suit (3).

General rule: Unless your length in the suit is already limited by prior bidding, all raises in competition are pre-emptive to Law of Total Tricks level. All strong raises go through bidding opponents' suit.

At unfavorable, without any singletons, 3 is a little risky, so I might only bid 2.

#3 User is offline   RunemPard 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge...some other things too I suppose.

Posted 2015-September-16, 00:31

Your partner obviously had no clue what a limit raise is. The best way to show a limit+ raise in this sequence is to bid the opponents suit, showing support. A jump bid is typically preemptive with 0-7 hcp and a 4 card suit(depending on vulnerability).

You have promised no more than maybe 8 hcp, so making a limit raise on this hand is foolish.
The American Swede of BBF...I eat my meatballs with blueberries, okay?
Junior - Always looking for new partners to improve my play with..I have my fair share of brilliancy and blunders.

"Did your mother really marry a Mr Head and name her son Richard?" - jillybean

#4 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-16, 00:50

You need agreements as to how strong 3 is. Most people these days play jump bids in competition as weak, not invitational.

Even if you think 3 shows a stronger hand, and partner therefore misbid, bidding RKC is poor. Because you have 2 fast losers in diamonds, the opp's suit. A better bid is 4, to see if partner can show a diamond control (ace/singleton; on this auction won't show the K since he doesn't know about your DQ and the lead is going through him into opening bidder who probably has ace). There's no need to risk the 5 level when there is a very high probability you are off the first two diamond tricks. Generally you are not supposed to bid RKC without at least 2nd round control in side suits when partner hasn't shown any control in that suit either.

#5 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-16, 01:29

The problem is the 4NT bid, not the 3S bid.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#6 User is offline   cheers OvO 

• Pip
  • Interests:always apologize to your p for any foolish mistake. never cheat too much on your level. no name-calling nor arrogance with ignorance. otherwise you deserve no respect.

Posted 2015-September-16, 20:21

Thanks for all advices. But my real question is still about what 3S means. As you all know, 2S shows 3support with 6-10pts so 3S as preempt shows below 6pts(and 4support). But I can also bid 3S with 4support and 10-12pts, and 3D shows a much stronger hand maybe with 17pts. How do you know what your p means?That's why I added a choice "It needs agreement with your p". rd bid 3S just after 2D and I thought he tried to show the later meaning(10-12) by that active tempo. As I held AK both in highers, his 1st(and 2nd if needed) answer to rkcb asking for keys might be 1st(2nd) round controls on minors so I gave up with cue bid suggested by Stephen Tu.

#7 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-16, 20:44

View Postcheers OvO, on 2015-September-16, 20:21, said:

Thanks for all advices. But my real question is still about what 3S means. As you all know, 2S shows 3support with 6-10pts so 3S as preempt shows below 6pts(and 4support).

Yes.

But I can also bid 3S with 4support and 10-12pts,

Well, no. See your own comment above.

and 3D shows a much stronger hand maybe with 17pts.

It's OK, 3 is unlimited.

How do you know what your p means?That's why I added a choice "It needs agreement with your p". rd bid 3S just after 2D and I thought he tried to show the later meaning(10-12) by that active tempo.

You can agree to show invitational values with 3, but it would be a very unusual agreement.

It is improper, by the way, to take partner's tempo into account.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#8 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2015-September-16, 20:50

As you all know, 2S shows 3support with 6-10pts so 3S as preempt shows below 6pts(and 4support).

No, the aspect of "3-support with 6-10 points" that is primarily denied by 3 is "3-support", not "6-10 points". You can agree different strengths for this, though logically they should be dictated by the vulnerability, but this hand surely fits almost any sensible definition.

But I can also bid 3S with 4support and 10-12pts,

You can but I wouldn't recommend it (my recommendation would be 2NT).

and 3D shows a much stronger hand maybe with 17pts.

LOL, definitely not!

How do you know what your p means?That's why I added a choice "It needs agreement with your p".

Well, yes, if your partner doesn't know the standard meanings of bids then you need to discuss.

rd bid 3S just after 2D and I thought he tried to show the later meaning(10-12) by that active tempo.

"Active tempo"? That has nothing to do with bridge unless you are cheating.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#9 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2015-September-16, 20:55

View Postmgoetze, on 2015-September-16, 20:50, said:

You can but I wouldn't recommend it (my recommendation would be 2NT.

This is a popular convention, but I wouldn't recommend trying this out on a pickup partner or in fact any partner without agreeing it.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#10 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-16, 21:07

2S shows 3support with 6-10pts so 3S as preempt shows below 6pts(and 4support).
The conclusion (phrase following "so") does not necessarily follow from the premise (preceding "so"). Although you could play it that way you could alternatively have some overlap in strength but have more trumps to bid 3.

Your partner's description of the bid as "limit raise" does not help. It is a raise, no doubt about that. It is also a limited bid and non-forcing All pre-empts are. But most long-in-the-tooth players would interpret the term to mean a full-blooded game try (still limited and NF), ie one that here would go through a cue raise. Just semantics but not helpful.

BTW one advantage of starting with a cue bid is that you can show slam interest without committing beyond 4S. On this hand there is potential for responder to be a bit stronger and 5S would still be at risk. You might consider 4C over 3S. You can still RKCB later if encouraged by (say) 4D (but whether that is sensible depends on the 3S limit of course)
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#11 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2015-September-16, 21:28

View Post1eyedjack, on 2015-September-16, 21:07, said:

The conclusion (phrase following "so") does not necessarily follow from the premise (preceding "so"). Although you could play it that way you could alternatively have some overlap in strength but have more trumps to bid 3.

Yes, there would usually be some overlap, as with four spades you can't bid 3 with 6- points and cuebid with 10+ only.

And also of course you might bid 2 with 4 trumps and a flat hand, or with fewer than 6 points.

#12 User is offline   jogs 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:student of the game

Posted 2015-September-16, 22:09

5=4=2=2. Regardless of the point range of 3, you shouldn't force the 5 level with your hand. I like 4. And definitely pass a 4 bid by pard.

#13 User is offline   mr1303 

• Admirer of Walter the Walrus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, surfing, water skiing, cricket, golf. Generally being outside really.

Posted 2015-September-16, 23:28

Incidentally, is there much future in a pre-emptive 3S bid when RHO has made a limited, weakish raise of his partner's suit? Surely mixed would be more appropriate here.

#14 User is offline   fourdad 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Football, Coaching, Family, Writing

Posted 2015-September-17, 03:48

"First error rules" is a mantra I live by at the table.

Hence, in spite of his rudeness, your partners comment that your first bid should be a TOX, planing on rebidding spades, is accurate.

imntbho, the focus of this entire thread is off.

How does the bidding proceed if your first bid is DBL?

In that scenario, it is easy not to get too high.

Focus on your own errors first.

#15 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-17, 04:34

View Postfourdad, on 2015-September-17, 03:48, said:

"First error rules" is a mantra I live by at the table.

Hence, in spite of his rudeness, your partners comment that your first bid should be a TOX, planing on rebidding spades, is accurate.

"Support with support" is a mantra I live by at the table, hence the comment is not accurate.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#16 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2015-September-17, 04:43

View Postmgoetze, on 2015-September-17, 04:34, said:

"Support with support" is a mantra I live by at the table, hence the comment is not accurate.

Partner will support spades, won't he? Doubling and bidding a suit (even a good 5-bagger) is not an unreasonable action with 19HCP. Also this keeps hearts in the picture in case partner should show up with those.

I must confess that I didn't even look at the West hand, only the East hand. I normally don't look at all at hands which aren't embedded in the thread.

#17 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-17, 04:51

Of course, "needs agreement with p" is always a correct answer, but maybe a more interesting question is what one would do without having discussed it with p.

I think 2 probably won't be misunderstood. 3 probably not either although maybe partner will expect me to have shortness somewhere when vulnerable. It wouldn't occur to me that partner might expect more than 5 points.

Pass is the call that is most likely to mislead imho, since partner might think that I don't have support so his spade honours are likely to be worth something in defense. If I pass and p later doubles their 6 contract I would be a bit uncomfortable.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#18 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-17, 05:11

View PostVampyr, on 2015-September-17, 04:43, said:

Partner will support spades, won't he? Doubling and bidding a suit (even a good 5-bagger) is not an unreasonable action with 19HCP. Also this keeps hearts in the picture in case partner should show up with those.

I must confess that I didn't even look at the West hand, only the East hand. I normally don't look at all at hands which aren't embedded in the thread.

Ah, I didn't check back either so I misunderstood and thought East was meant to double and then correct to spades. Doubling with West is not quite my style but certainly a viable one.
    -- Bertrand Russell

#19 User is offline   cheers OvO 

• Pip

Posted 2015-September-17, 08:59

Thanks to all except fourdad. Double would be take-out showing 3+cards on all the others suits. I think we have learned the most basic bidding when we were beginners. And 2NT for responce would show a balanced hand with 13-15hcp.

In conclusion, what would be the most popular bid with 4support + 10-12pts? 2D? I got to know 3S when I was learing SAYC before bergen and the law.

#20 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-17, 09:08

View Postcheers OvO, on 2015-September-17, 08:59, said:

Thanks to all except fourdad. Double would be take-out showing 3+cards on all the others suits.
Are you playing strong jump overcalls, then, and/or direct seat cue of oppo suit is a general force (where it is now more common to show a 2-suiter)? For those (frankly the majority) who do not play those methods, double is the first move on such hands (including a balanced NT overcall that is too strong for immediate 1N). Is a double followed by new suit/NT a redundant set of sequences in your methods?

I think you owe some thanks to fourdad, for pointing out a popular treatment worthy of consideration, even it was not your style at the time.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users