BBO Discussion Forums: Alway played on a , hate laptop format - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Alway played on a , hate laptop format

#1 User is offline   huck1 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-September-14, 12:21

Any suggestions? I fell I am of above average intelligence, at least average tech ability.I was perfectly content with my BBO experiences on a tablet, several friends here convinced me a laptop would be even better. I way over purchased on a laptop, but wanted the better quality. I absolutely HATE trying to play or even chat on the new laptop. I have not completed one game yet, I cannot respond to welcome in a timely fashion, the bid screen is tiny, if I misclick and cannot ask for an undo. I have decided not to spoil any more games for others.

#2 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-September-14, 13:03

You bought a laptop to play bridge? That's dedication beyond the call of duty :)

I wonder whether it is an interface familiarity issue. Some aspects are configurable.

My guess is that most players familiar with both the ios/android platform and the windows platform prefer the latter, not that I have asked anyone.

The windows platform certainly has more options available (a source of considerable frustration for me when playing on android)..

Anyway, welcome to the forums.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#3 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-September-16, 08:59

1eyedjack, on 2015-September-14, 13:03, said:

You bought a laptop to play bridge? That's dedication beyond the call of duty :)

I remember when OKbridge first started up, a number of people got Internet accounts just to play on it (this was around 1990, when Internet was all dialup, before the World Wide Web, and practically everyone else on the net was computer geeks).

#4 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-16, 09:21

A decade or so ago I was a Sysop for Compu$erve. How's that for paleontology? In its dying days one of the members cobbled together a program that allowed members to play bridge online through the Compu$erve account. As I recall, you could easily run up a $40 bill just by playing bridge for a single day.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#5 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2015-September-16, 09:30

huck1, on 2015-September-14, 12:21, said:

if I misclick and cannot ask for an undo.

The web version has an undo button, in the row of buttons right below the playing area. It's even easier than in the mobile version, because it's not hidden in a menu.

Are you using a mouse or the laptop's built-in trackpad. IMO, it takes more practice to click precisely with a trackpad, so you might want to get a mouse.

#6 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-16, 10:05

barmar, on 2015-September-16, 09:30, said:

The web version has an undo button, in the row of buttons right below the playing area.

It used to be so that only the mobile version allows you to undo when you play against three robots in the main room. Isn't that true? I just noticed that I can undo against three robots in the web version but I think it used to be different.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#7 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2015-September-17, 09:51

helene_t, on 2015-September-16, 10:05, said:

It used to be so that only the mobile version allows you to undo when you play against three robots in the main room. Isn't that true? I just noticed that I can undo against three robots in the web version but I think it used to be different.

I don't notice that. I still can't undo against robots in the web version.

But I also can't see how to play against 3 robots in the mobile version, except when using the Play Anonymously option.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users