• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-September-13, 17:05

imps

#2 User is offline   lamford 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-13, 17:25

I would bid 4S. Slam might make opposite some 15 counts, but no room to explore. 4H rates to go down most of the time, but may be only 300. A sim suggested that we were making slam 24% of the time, and rarely going off in 4S.
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#3 User is offline   BillPatch 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:income taxes, american history, energy

Posted 2015-September-13, 18:14

no comment

#4 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2015-September-13, 18:50

wank says "imps"

I rank your calls
1. 5. CUE. Your have at least an Ace extra and the 5-level should be safe.
2. 4. S/O. A bit wet, especially if opponents have their values in .
3, 4N. RKC. An overbid.
4. 5. CUE. But bypasses your control.
5. 5 NAT. Might be even more confusing.
6. Double. Pessimistic unless conventional.

#5 User is offline   WesleyC 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-13, 20:18

I think your choice depends on the style of partner's 3S bid.

Once West overcalls, my preferred style is to use the jump to 3S to show roughly 12-15 HCP and a shapely hand - basically a hand that always plans to compete to 3S. In that context, 4S is obvious.

However if you prefer to keep the 3S at full strength through the overcall you can probably make a case for at least a mild slam investigation.

#6 User is offline   karlson 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-13, 23:10

Basically agree with Wesley, but I would just go low with 4 even if you play 3 as fairly strong.

#7 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2015-September-14, 02:54

WesleyC, on 2015-September-13, 20:18, said:

However if you prefer to keep the 3S at full strength through the overcall you can probably make a case for at least a mild slam investigation.

And how are we going to make a mild slam invitation and a strong slam invitation and slam force depending on specific controls, with different hands in this auction? I agree with you that we may have a lay down slam. Just as Lamford said, we simply do not have the space to investigate it.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#8 User is offline   WesleyC 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-14, 04:12

MrAce, on 2015-September-14, 02:54, said:

And how are we going to make a mild slam invitation and a strong slam invitation and slam force depending on specific controls, with different hands in this auction? I agree with you that we may have a lay down slam. Just as Lamford said, we simply do not have the space to investigate it.

IF partner's 3S promised (15)16-18 HCP, then 5H feels about right. Partner should appreciate that we're mostly looking for trump quality and sharp cards...

#9 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-14, 07:19

opponents happy bidding suggest a bad break, but that is probably clubs, not spades.

We need 4 bullets in front or AJ10 combo and some luck to make slam, I think with many of those hands partner would have already stretched to 4, I will settle myself for 4.

If acting 5 is clearly the bid to move on.

#10 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2015-September-14, 08:36

WesleyC, on 2015-September-14, 04:12, said:

IF partner's 3S promised (15)16-18 HCP, then 5H feels about right. Partner should appreciate that we're mostly looking for trump quality and sharp cards...

You did not answer my question. Or more likely I asked it poorly.
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#11 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-14, 10:39

Well most of the good hands from partner would go through 3 rather than 3 if I was playing normal-ish systems (I have a GF 2N rebid available as well playing what I actually play), so I would know he was 12-15 ish 5+-4+. That still doesn't preclude AKxx, xx, xx, AKxxx but I'd be prepared to give up on slam as that hand is a pretty narrow target to hit.

If partner can have a better hand, you'd better be playing double as non penalty.

#12 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2015-September-14, 10:59

Cyberyeti, on 2015-September-14, 10:39, said:

Well most of the good hands from partner would go through 3 rather than 3 if I was playing normal-ish systems (I have a GF 2N rebid available as well playing what I actually play), so I would know he was 12-15 ish 5+-4+. That still doesn't preclude AKxx, xx, xx, AKxxx but I'd be prepared to give up on slam as that hand is a pretty narrow target to hit.

If partner can have a better hand, you'd better be playing double as non penalty.

Where is this information mentioned in OP?

#13 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2015-September-14, 11:56

MrAce, on 2015-September-14, 10:59, said:

Where is this information mentioned in OP?

It isn't, that's why I gave an either-or answer

#14 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2015-September-14, 12:21

How you invite depends on methods and style but I think you can include mild slam-tries. For example, here, you might agree ...
  • 4 = S/O. To play.
  • 4N = RKC. Taking control. You know what to do over likely responses.
  • 5// = CUE. Mild invite (unless you go on over 5).
  • 5 = ART. Worry about control.
  • Double = ART. Sort of MAXIMAL. Instead of penalty, you might agree that this as a mild slam try, which would free up the other calls and work well on this hand..

#15 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2015-September-14, 13:09

Cyberyeti, on 2015-September-14, 11:56, said:

It isn't, that's why I gave an either-or answer

Ok thank you Cyber.

#16 User is offline   wanoff 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-15, 01:43

I'd rule out 4 and 4nt.
5 seems pointless since however you move, you must have the A.
5 is a fair description.

#17 User is offline   KurtGodel 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-15, 03:59

We are a passed hand, I don't think our hand could be that much better than this, it's fairly rare we have a slam force here (not impossible). I would kind of like to know what we are playing, if partner can be 15-17 balanced here I don't think I am moving, if partner is showing a shapely minimum then I am not moving, if partner is showing spades and clubs with a good hand I think I'll try 5, we must be worth something with all our controls and working queens, I can't believe that we are going down in 5, and having passed originally partner will know the kind of hands we will be moving on.

#18 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2015-September-15, 05:54

wanoff, on 2015-September-15, 01:43, said:

5 seems pointless since however you move, you must have the A.

Could you expand on your logic here. Would AK be a much worse hand for you than in diamonds?
(-: Zel :-)

#19 User is offline   wanoff 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-15, 16:03

Zelandakh, on 2015-September-15, 05:54, said:

Could you expand on your logic here. Would AK be a much worse hand for you than in diamonds?

If you're talking about another hand with AK instead of the diamonds, then of course you'd start by cuebidding clubs and then hearts.
I can see I'm in a minority here but without the / A or K you will only move 4 with the A. Besides if you cue diamonds, how will partner find your heart control without some fancy method (which I don't possess).

#20 User is offline   jogs 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:student of the game

Posted 2015-September-15, 16:59

Assuming North is 4-4 in the black suits, both black suits break 3-2 about 50% of the time. Assuming rational opponents due to their willingless to interfere expect both blacks suits to break 3-2 much less often than expected.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users