BBO Discussion Forums: My experience in a tournament today - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

My experience in a tournament today

#1 User is offline   adv exp 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-September-12, 00:04

I often volunteer as a sub in tourneys and participated in one today. It was a goulash one and I actually started on hand one of twelve total hands. I expected to be relieved soon by whoever initially signed up and was surprised to still be there after 11 of the 12 hands. After the first 10 hands, I was up close to 40 IMPs. My partner in the 11th hand won the auction in a hand that was easily makeable. Halfway through the hand I apparently was removed from the table because my screen went from the playing table to a view of the remaining hands being played. There was no explanation in the lower conversation window like there usually is when the signed up player returns, and it looked like the whole tourney was being canceled. So I waited for the usual white screen to come up to show me how.

The white screen never did come up like it always does whether I have finished a tourney I did sign up for, or one that I played as a sub for even as few as one hand!!!!??? This puzzled me so I went repeatedly to the BBO My Hands site until the 11 hands I played did come up. There I could see the "Results" screen and to my surprise, my name wasn't even on the list, let alone near the top where I expected it. Then I wondered whether the player who I "replaced" was on the list but I had to piece it together first. I listed the top 10 players and eliminated all those who were actually playing when I was and came up with the one who wasn't and sure enough they placed like 6th and had scored master points.

Go figure, I do all the work, and then they come in for one hand and get the recognition and the MPs!!! This is odd because I have subbed many times for less than half a tourney and scored master points, so it has nothing to do with being a sub.

So.......Anyone out there have this experience and know anything about the rules for assigning MPs to subs? If this is the treatment you get for helping out, I think I'll stop subbing.

adv exp

#2 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:I'm also on YOUTUBE with a channel of music songs .

Posted 2015-September-12, 00:41

View Postadv exp, on 2015-September-12, 00:04, said:

I often volunteer as a sub in tourneys and participated in one today. It was a goulash one and I actually started on hand one of twelve total hands. I expected to be relieved soon by whoever initially signed up and was surprised to still be there after 11 of the 12 hands. After the first 10 hands, I was up close to 40 IMPs. My partner in the 11th hand won the auction in a hand that was easily makeable. Halfway through the hand I apparently was removed from the table because my screen went from the playing table to a view of the remaining hands being played. There was no explanation in the lower conversation window like there usually is when the signed up player returns, and it looked like the whole tourney was being canceled. So I waited for the usual white screen to come up to show me how.

The white screen never did come up like it always does whether I have finished a tourney I did sign up for, or one that I played as a sub for even as few as one hand!!!!??? This puzzled me so I went repeatedly to the BBO My Hands site until the 11 hands I played did come up. There I could see the "Results" screen and to my surprise, my name wasn't even on the list, let alone near the top where I expected it. Then I wondered whether the player who I "replaced" was on the list but I had to piece it together first. I listed the top 10 players and eliminated all those who were actually playing when I was and came up with the one who wasn't and sure enough they placed like 6th and had scored master points.

Go figure, I do all the work, and then they come in for one hand and get the recognition and the MPs!!! This is odd because I have subbed many times for less than half a tourney and scored master points, so it has nothing to do with being a sub.

So.......Anyone out there have this experience and know anything about the rules for assigning MPs to subs? If this is the treatment you get for helping out, I think I'll stop subbing.

adv exp

Yes, it seems strange if you say that other times had had score. En passant :i have read your topic two times (togheter awn) and list of active content signed 0 wiews. Probably and if sub are already rules as you know, should be a thecnical explaining for this eventuality. (And also 0 replay to 8:43, bye)(Lovera)

#3 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-September-12, 06:11

The club that subbed you out after you did well has been warned about this practice before, and will be penalized.

When the original player comes back, you'll receive an automated message saying something like "Thank you for subbing, the original player has returned".
When you are replaced but not because the original player returned, you see only "You have been replaced and are no longer playing this tournament"

If #1 happens, it's not the TDs fault (original players are reseated automatically in pay tourneys).

It's best to report these incidents to abuse@bridgebase.com.

#4 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-12, 12:24

Welcome to the forums, adv exp. Please take a moment to look over the list of forum categories. We have one set of forums for discussion about bridge in general, and a separate set for discussions specifically about BBO. I've moved your thread to the BBO category, you should use these forums for future posts about BBO.

#5 User is offline   adv exp 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-September-14, 09:43

I got the following reply from Jacki at BBO. I could be misinterpreting it but it sounds like she is saying that what happened to me is a simple programming mistake?? If so I do not buy it. How could my name be left off the "Results" list entirely and replaced by the person who took over for me on the last hand. I have subbed multiple times and this has never happened before. It has all the appearance of fraud.

Here's her reply:

Hello (my actual name):

Thank you for your report. We understand that this is a situation that needs to
be corrected by the programmers and I assure you it's high on their 'to do'
list. In the meantime, until the programmers can fix this situation whereby the
player who plays the majority of the boards (regardless of the scores on those
boards) will receive any points won as a result of his substituting, we will
issue refunds to the substitute player.

In this vein, I am refunding your entry fee for the game and adding another as
our apology. This situation will be resolved in the near future. I mostly want
you to know that we are aware that this needs to be re-programmed and that it
will be done as soon as humanly possible.

Best regards,

Jacki
BBO Customer Support

#6 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-September-14, 12:41

If I'm reading it correctly, the programming mistake is to allow the abuse that the club were doing. In other words, you weren't accidentally kicked out, but the only reason it were possible to pull that trick was a programming oversight that will be rectified soon.

#7 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-14, 12:54

No the reply refers to a feature that will allow player who has played most boards in a tourney to win the masterpoints, regardless of who finishes that tourney. This is already happening in ACBL tourneys, but not in other tourneys that award BBO points.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users