BBO Discussion Forums: ACBL CC Chrome display bug at certain zoom levels - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

ACBL CC Chrome display bug at certain zoom levels

#1 User is offline   adamw 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-September-11, 11:41

When I use "Open in new window" for an ACBL CC parts of the CC are missing. This happens only in Chrome. I'm using Chrome version 45.0.2454.85 (64-bit) on MacOS 10.10.5 and version 45.0.2454.85 m on Windows 7.

I discovered that the problem occurs only at certain zoom levels. 100% displays correctly, but 90% and 150% incorrectly.

Safari shows a similar problem, but only at small sizes.

Here's a link to a blank CC if you want to play with it.

I'm no longer worried about this since I discovered it goes away when I press Command Plus or Command Minus, I just thought you'd like to know...

#2 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-September-11, 14:00

The problem you're talking about is that the lines under some of the inputs are missing, right?

The issue seems to be that we specify the thickness of this border in pixels. When you zoom the page, it looks like Chrome doesn't scale this setting with it, while other things (like font sizes) scale up. And at certain ratios, they end up overlapping the border lines.

I'll have to do some research to see if there's a way to detect this and deal with it (maybe I should be specifying the border sizes in some relative manner). Although if it only affects Chrome, and only when you zoom, it doesn't seem like an urgent issue. It seems more like a Chrome bug to me that it doesn't scale everything uniformly when you zoom.

#3 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-September-11, 14:07

This is a Chrome bug that has been around for years

Bug 410959 - [BC] Table cell border widths render incorrectly at various zoom levels

Oops, that's Firefox (but I wasn't able to reproduce the problem there). But Chrome obviously has a similar bug.

I think it's actually a rounding error of some kind. We set the border to 1 pixel. When you scale down to 90%, that means the size scales down to 0.9 pixels. But you can't display fractional pixels, so the browser has to interpolate in some way. And at some zoom levels, the interpolation causes the border to disappear.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users