BBO Discussion Forums: ACBL Convention Card Unicode bug? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

ACBL Convention Card Unicode bug?

#1 User is offline   adamw 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-September-10, 13:01

I created a new ACBL convention card an hour ago. I used the usual shortcuts to enter suit symbols, an exclamation mark followed by the first letter of the suit's name. The symbols displayed properly when I edited the CC, but not when I display it or open it to edit again. Instead I get strings like these:

%u2663
%u2660

The result is the same on a Mac and a PC. I tried Safari, Chrome, and IE.

Cards that I created previously display properly, so my guess is that a bug was recently introduced into the CC editor.

The card is named "Steve Beatty - Adam Wildavsky".

Any suggestions? I plan to play tonight, and the CC is not much use to my opponents as is.

#2 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-September-10, 16:26

View Postadamw, on 2015-September-10, 13:01, said:

I created a new ACBL convention card an hour ago. I used the usual shortcuts to enter suit symbols, an exclamation mark followed by the first letter of the suit's name. The symbols displayed properly when I edited the CC, but not when I display it or open it to edit again. Instead I get strings like these:

%u2663
%u2660

The result is the same on a Mac and a PC. I tried Safari, Chrome, and IE.

Cards that I created previously display properly, so my guess is that a bug was recently introduced into the CC editor.

The card is named "Steve Beatty - Adam Wildavsky".

Any suggestions? I plan to play tonight, and the CC is not much use to my opponents as is.

How did you create the card? I just tried to edit the ACBL SAYC CC and to create a new ACBL CC from scratch and symbols are displayed properly.

Can you explain the steps please? It's possible that there is a bug, but I don't know how to make it happen.

#3 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-10, 18:58

We haven't made any changes to the CC editor since January, 2014. That was just a minor change (for IE11 compatibility), the last big change was almost 2 years ago (mostly improvements related to printing the CC).

From what I can tell, you didn't use the ! shortcuts, you actually entered the suit symbol characters into the CC editor. I was only able to reproduce your symptom by copying and pasting a diamond from a displayed CC into an input field of a new CC. If you're sure you didn't, maybe you have a browser plugin that does this for you (this could be useful for blogging about bridge). You need to disable that when you're using the CC editor.

#4 User is offline   adamw 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-September-10, 20:52

Thanks barmar and diana! Your replies helped me pinpoint the problem. I have no extension installed to enter suit symbols for me automagically, but it seems that this functionality is built into Safari. If I create or edit a CC in Chrome I do not have the same problem.

I suggest you either add this info to your FAQ or update the CC editor so that it will work when it gets "help".

I'll post separately about why I was using Safari rather than Chrome...

#5 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-11, 13:44

I just tried it in Safari 8 on Yosemite and Safari 9 in El Capitan, I still wasn't able to reproduce the problem. And I googled for safari shortcuts for suit symbols, and wasn't able to find any mention of this. Whatever it is, it seems to be specific to you.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users