Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

TOURNMENT SUBSTITUTES PROVISION TO KNOW HOW MANY MORE AHEAD OF YOU

#1 User is offline   jbpvithal 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-September-09, 03:44

I suggest that when a member enrols as a "sub" for any of the ongoing tournments; it will be nice if there is a way to check how many members are ahead in the line. THis will fairly give him a chance either to continue as Sub or make some other decision.

#2 User is offline   Rain 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-September-09, 09:39

Hi Jbp,

That's not exactly how the subs work right now in that there is no "line" really. When a sub is needed the TD or sometimes partner is able to select the sub they wish to select, usually based on profile info. So it's not really automated.

I do think the sub experience needs some improvement though. I have been playing some other games, and their version of subs seem to be automated, and in exchange the person signing up for a game just gets sucked into a game type of his choice, whether it's in the middle of the game (like a sub in middle of tourney) or at the start of game (usually the case, ie you either sub for a sitout or you "start" the game). So a "sub" is really a player signing up for a game - he just doesn't know whether he gets to start from scratch, or get into the middle.

There are other little niceties like in demand subs maybe should be rewarded somehow. So in the BBO context, perhaps if a star player agrees to sub, he is an in-demand sub and should be rewarded, perhaps?
"More and more these days I find myself pondering how to reconcile my net income with my gross habits."

John Nelson.

#3 User is offline   scarletv 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-September-10, 08:21

Just to give you an idea how I as TD try to select subs from the list BBO is providing. I will try to find a "match" for the player when there are not too many open calls I have to serve at the same time. For example I try to find a Chinese player for a remaining player from China or a Polish player when the remaining player is from Poland when I know they are mostly playing a system too different from SAYC or 2/1. I don't like to pair Beginners with Experts as I found that often ends in insulting or running of the other player more often and that will help no one though I know that self rating is flawed. Sometimes I ignore the self rating and will use the masterpoints (another flawed instrument) when the sub has some.

Additional I am categorizing subs that I don't want to see in my tourneys when I have them under suspicion of rude behavior or too bad tourney completion rate and those that made it on my blacklist are categorized in black and I will certainly never invite. But not all TDs are doing that the same way. I guess the following and ignore list might be in heavy use also.

Anyway less and less subs accept or reject invitations timely (maybe BBO has numbers for that) and sometimes I am just happy when anyone is accepting after more than 10 invitations before the play is stuck. So it will not help you to know how many subs registered before you as a lot of them are not really available.

#4 User is offline   tsankaR 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-September-12, 21:15

it would be better is the subs can be sorted based on country

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users