Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What is trump?

#1 User is offline   dae 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-September-06, 18:51

The opponents were bidding ,not an established partnership, no bidding by our side... Opening -1S, 2 H,3H 3S, pass... A trick or two was played and the 2 H bidder asked for a redeal(she is learning 2/1 system and asked if H were agreed trump suit, said that she was bidding a control by biddindg 3 s...
she held the AQ10 of spades.. Request was refused,,
The question is , is H the agreed trump suit? Her partner assumed she was raising the S suit, and passed..... (Which -in 2/1 - the 2 H was GF.) ( I had 5 S in my hand-there was not a slam, as she had thought.)

#2 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2015-September-06, 19:12

I think it is reasonable to play 1-2; 3-3 as either showing a double fit or the beginning of a cuebidding sequence, it's something that needs to be agreed and I doubt there is a consensus standard interpretation. Obviously, passing 3 is not an option in either case.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#3 User is offline   BillPatch 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:income taxes, american history, energy

Posted 2015-September-06, 21:37

We are several tricks into the play and the final contract is 3. If one cannot figure out the trump suit from that info, may I suggest another game.

#4 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2015-September-07, 13:21

I agree that whether 3 shows a double fit or is a cue bid is a matter of partnership agreement.

Personally, I think showing the double fit is much more important.

One thing to remember is that double fit hands have the potential to take a lot of tricks. They are the kind of hands that can very easily yield slam on not a great deal of high card points. They do so because whoever is declarer may be able to discard potential losers on dummy's long suit tricks. If you have solid suits and controls in the side suits, 12 tricks are often available.

There have been a couple threads recently where responder held a big fit for opener's suit and held a good 5+ side suit. There was some really cogent arguments made that showing the side suit was more important than splintering or simply making a forcing raise. The rationale was that identifying the potential source of additional tricks to opener was important to potentially finding the right spot -- game vs. slam.

One final thought, if 3 in the stated auction is a cue bid, then how do you ever get to a contract? Suppose responder has something like

Kxxx
AQJxx
xx
Ax

If after 1 - 2 - 3 -?, you are committed to playing in s, then you may end up playing in an 8 card fit instead of your known 9 card fit.

While it is normal to treat new suit bids after suit agreement as cues, I think the one exception should be to reveal the 2 suited fit. So, 3 would show the double fit and be the only new suit bid not a cue.

BTW, to show the power of double fits, give opener something like

AQxxx
Kxx
Axx
xx

and 6 in a major is almost lay down with the above responding hand on 27 total HCP and no unusual distribution.

#5 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-07, 15:06

I don't have a strong view on whether it's better as cue or fit, but I don't think that argument's very convincing. Double fits are nice, but if you've got enough controls for slam, you only need one long suit and some matching honours in P's hand. Revise the hands above to these:

Kx
AQJxx
xxx
Axx

AQJxx
Kxx
Axx
xx

And slam looks nearly as good. Looking at just opener's hand (south), you'd much rather P had virtually any king-headed holding in Ss than any number of Xes. But with you both holding relative minimums, slam will be tougher to find if responder can't cue. Suppose you bid 1 2 / 3 4* / 4** 4

* Bypassing serious 3N
** Last train or D cue as you prefer (it makes life easier here if it's a cue, but reverse the minors in both hands and you get a similar problem either way)

Opener can bid on, but I'd expect responder to have bid similarly with

xx
AQJxx
xxx
AKx

And now you don't have five-level safety.

Also on the original two hands depending on methods, there's reasonable chance responder would just start with a 2N bid. If opener will be able to show a balanced hand and then cue Hs you can find out about the K anyway, so it looks like you'd only really lose out when opener has the stiff K and shows it as shortage (and you'd gain in various competitive auctions).
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#6 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2015-September-07, 15:59

I strongly prefer hearts set. Solves the problem of, say, Ax AKQxx xxx xxx.

I solve the problem of Kxxx AQJxx xx Ax in a strange way...responding 2C. I hope for 2D, which allows a 2S raise, lower cues, etc. If partner bids 2H, I still set spades as trumps for the low cues. If partner raises clubs, I dislike the auction, but I set spades as trumps and manage. If partner splinters, I am well placed. Responder doing this means that Responder often makes decisionbids.

An alternative, for those like me who dislike Jacoby 2NT,is 2NT as GF with hearts and spades.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#7 User is offline   TWO4BRIDGE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-07, 16:37

1S - 2H
3H - 3S

In 2/1 GF, this is the exception to double-fit auctions .

Hearts are the established trump suit, and 3S = a cue-bid .
Don Stenmark
TWOferBRIDGE
"imo by far in bridge the least understood concept is how to bid over a jump-shift
( 1M-1NT!-3m-?? )." ....Justin Lall

" Did someone mention relays? " .... Zelandakh

K-Rex to Mikeh : " Sometimes you drive me nuts " .

#8 User is offline   BillPatch 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:income taxes, american history, energy

Posted 2015-September-08, 12:21

View PostTWO4BRIDGE, on 2015-September-07, 16:37, said:

1S - 2H
3H - 3S

In 2/1 GF, this is the exception to double-fit auctions .

Hearts are the established trump suit, and 3S = a cue-bid .

In one version of 2/1 GF(presumably Max Hardy's)this is true. In Bridge World Standard, which is consensus based on polling, this is not true. A purist might say that BWS, which provides that 2/1 is not a gf with a minor rebid and that 2 clubs over one diamond does not promise more than a rebid, is not 2/1 GF. But unless someone else comes out with a cleaner or more recent poll, I think the BWS polls are our best indication of how the general population of 2/1 GFers treat this auction and should be in BBO's and Bridge Winner's default systems. Comments?

#9 User is offline   jdonn 

• - - T98765432 AQT8
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-09, 12:17

I definitely think 3 should be a control bid agreeing hearts, but most people probably feel it should be natural and that is what I would assume undiscussed.
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.

#10 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-09, 19:04

I think it's a bad idea to assume the meaning of any undiscussed bid is artificial. The corollary to this is that if you think a particular bid should be assigned an artificial meaning, you should discuss it with your partner, preferably before it comes up at the table. Most people don't do that.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#11 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-09, 20:12

View Postblackshoe, on 2015-September-09, 19:04, said:

I think it's a bad idea to assume the meaning of any undiscussed bid is artificial. The corollary to this is that if you think a particular bid should be assigned an artificial meaning, you should discuss it with your partner, preferably before it comes up at the table. Most people don't do that.

RHO opens a spade and I overcall 2. LHO raises to 2. Well, we've never discussed this sequence so everything must be natural. Partner jumps to 4, RHO passes and I... pass? Yeah, sounds sensible.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#12 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-09, 21:21

View Postmgoetze, on 2015-September-09, 20:12, said:

RHO opens a spade and I overcall 2. LHO raises to 2. Well, we've never discussed this sequence so everything must be natural. Partner jumps to 4, RHO passes and I... pass? Yeah, sounds sensible.

This is silly.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#13 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-10, 03:44

View PostVampyr, on 2015-September-09, 21:21, said:

This is silly.

That's the point.
    -- Bertrand Russell

#14 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-10, 11:53

View Postmgoetze, on 2015-September-10, 03:44, said:

That's the point.

Well, your post is silly, but the idea of assuming that an undiscussed bid is not artificial is not.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#15 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-10, 14:06

View PostVampyr, on 2015-September-10, 11:53, said:

Well, your post is silly, but the idea of assuming that an undiscussed bid is not artificial is not.

Care to explain the difference?

By the way, blackshoe did not just espouse the idea of assuming undiscussed bids are not artificial - he disparaged all alternative approaches. Whereas I believe that "undiscussed bids are assumed artificial when it makes sense for them to be" is also a perfectly good partnership agreement.
    -- Bertrand Russell

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users