Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Conceding a hand Partner cannot stop his other partner conceding a hand

#1 User is offline   woodych 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-September-03, 17:24

I recently played in a tournament and my partner (who I had never met before) conceded the hand and the opponent accepted.
I had no say in that and could do nothing to stop it.
The conceding was wrong because I had an ace left and the other pair could not avoid me using it.
The results of the other tables supported this as all were set by one trick, ours was the only single table where the contract was made.
Following an email to support I have been told yes any player can conceded a hand and if ops accept that there is nothing the other partner can do to stop that.
This seems a very unfair rule and can be open to abuse as I believe was in this case.
Does anyone else here believe this to be an unfair rule? if not why not, please explain?
Thank you

#2 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-September-03, 23:42

View Postwoodych, on 2015-September-03, 17:24, said:

I recently played in a tournament and my partner (who I had never met before) conceded the hand and the opponent accepted.
I had no say in that and could do nothing to stop it.
The conceding was wrong because I had an ace left and the other pair could not avoid me using it.
The results of the other tables supported this as all were set by one trick, ours was the only single table where the contract was made.
Following an email to support I have been told yes any player can conceded a hand and if ops accept that there is nothing the other partner can do to stop that.
This seems a very unfair rule and can be open to abuse as I believe was in this case.
Does anyone else here believe this to be an unfair rule? if not why not, please explain?
Thank you

IMHO, this is a careless implementation of the claim function and both partners should have to agree. Also, when declarer claims, all remaining cards should be made visible immediately.

#3 User is offline   woodych 

• PipPip

Posted 2015-September-04, 02:31

Thank you, careless was not the word that sprang to mind but i agree,it is careless.

#4 User is online   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-04, 06:57

You can ask the tournament director to adjust in case a wrong claim was accepted.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#5 User is offline   woodych 

• PipPip

Posted 2015-September-04, 07:15

Thank you i didn't know that.
Not sure I would have gone that far though, I was just shocked that it could happen as It could be abused by vindictive players and those just enjoying messing peoples score.
I seem to recall that where those with the contract claim, both ops have to accept but i might be wrong there?
If i am right it should apply to both claims and concedes.

#6 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-04, 08:00

If a defender claims only declarer needs to accept. A concession is treated by the software as a claim of 0 tricks,
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

#7 User is offline   jeffford76 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-September-04, 09:12

This is a place where the BBO implementation doesn't follow bridge law. You are supposed to be able to object.

Law 68B21: "...if a defender attempts to concede one or more tricks and his partner immediately objects, no concession has occurred."

#8 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-September-04, 14:02

As I mentioned in another thread about claims, BBO's claim function is patterned more after rubber bridge than duplicate bridge. We don't wait for the TD to adjudicate contested claims, we play on double dummy. But it wouldn't be appropriate for a defender to be able to see his partner's hand in the case of an defensive claim.

So we expect declarer to be honest, and not accept a concession if he can still lose a trick. In tournaments you can ask the TD for an adjustment if declarer made a mistake.

#9 User is offline   jeffford76 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-September-04, 14:21

View Postbarmar, on 2015-September-04, 14:02, said:

As I mentioned in another thread about claims, BBO's claim function is patterned more after rubber bridge than duplicate bridge. We don't wait for the TD to adjudicate contested claims, we play on double dummy. But it wouldn't be appropriate for a defender to be able to see his partner's hand in the case of an defensive claim.

So we expect declarer to be honest, and not accept a concession if he can still lose a trick. In tournaments you can ask the TD for an adjustment if declarer made a mistake.

If you spent the time to implement defensive objections, you would just allow objections, not show hands, so I'm not sure why you are mentioning showing partners each other's hands.

I also think that accepting a bum concession isn't about honesty, but rather about not carefully working out that you still have a trick to lose when an opponent says you don't.

For what it's worth, rubber bridge laws also allow one defender to object to the other's concession (Law 71C).

#10 User is offline   woodych 

• PipPip

Posted 2015-September-04, 16:10

Thank you very much for the replies and the information.
Bottom lime it seems to me is that something needs to change?
I could gayfully conceded hands left right and center if i was malicious enough and my partner it seems cannot stop that, which seems a very sad place to be in!

#11 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2015-September-04, 18:11

View Postwoodych, on 2015-September-04, 16:10, said:

I could gayfully conceded hands left right and center if i was malicious enough and my partner it seems cannot stop that, which seems a very sad place to be in!

You mean your soon-to-be-ex-partner.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#12 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-September-05, 20:16

Partner also can't stop you from overbidding, ducking tricks you could have won, etc. There are lots of ways for you to throw the game.

#13 User is offline   woodych 

• PipPip

Posted 2015-September-19, 09:45

Yes I have been on the end of those plays many times:(

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users