Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Refuse claim by dummy

#1 User is offline   patroclo 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-September-02, 14:42

Sometimes an opp claims all the tricks while these are all of the declarer. I think that also the dummy have to accept not only the declarer. Because 2 players control the claim better than 1

#2 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2015-September-02, 16:00

So now all of us bridge players have to wait for dummy to come back from his cigarette break just because some small minority is playing a different game where declarer never thinks about how many tricks he can take? No thanks.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#3 User is offline   fourdad 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Football, Coaching, Family, Writing

Posted 2015-September-03, 03:54

silly idea

#4 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-September-03, 04:19

declarer can always ask "hey dummy, can you see if the claim is right?" if he is unsure.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#5 User is offline   patroclo 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-03, 04:43

I am speaking on bbo game.
It happened that an opp claimed instead than concede all the tricks during a slam. Declarer accepted, but after there wasn't any way to correct the mistake.

#6 User is offline   nekthen 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-03, 04:45

I think that defenders should not claim. Maybe the software should only allow claims by declarer

#7 User is offline   GrahamJson 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-03, 09:42

Claiming is ok, but only if you are certain. I have seen claims which were refused, because a defender still had a trump or two. In some cases I suspect that declarer had miscounted and may have gone down if he had not been reminded by the refusal. Actually I think the rules state that declarer cannot draw trumps following a claim unless he specifies this when claiming, which on BBO you can't.

Defenders should also be careful when claiming or conceding. A partner once conceded all the remaining tricks in a high level contract. Declarer swiftly accepted before I could point out that I had the outstanding trump, not declarer, as partner had assumed from the bidding, and a running suit. So partner's concession turned minus 4 to plus one (or something like that).

#8 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-September-03, 10:00

The Laws of Duplicate Bridge say that dummy is allowed to contest a claim. But our claim procedure is actually much more like rubber bridge (when a claim is disputed, we play the hand out with the claimant's hand exposed, instead of having a TD adjudicate). In rubber bridge, only declarer is allowed to dispute a defender's claim.

#9 User is offline   SelfGovern 

• PipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge (huh?), Toastmasters, Data Storage, photography

Posted 2015-September-03, 11:08

GrahamJson, on 2015-September-03, 09:42, said:

<snippage> Actually I think the rules state that declarer cannot draw trumps following a claim unless he specifies this when claiming, which on BBO you can't.
<snippage>

In fact, there is a text box included when you push the claim button. So declarer (or defender) could easily enter something like "Drawing trump" or "3!h, 2!C, 1!S" or "You get 2 diamonds at the end". I recommend using this to clarify your claim, although most people here do not.
Liberty breeds responsibility

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users