• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1♥-1♠-2NT T-Walsh

#1 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2015-September-01, 16:31

Most people probably play 1-1-2NT in analogy to 2NT rebids after a 1m opening. Playing T-Walsh (with 1NT 14-16), these analogies do not exist. On the other hand, the range is somewhat lower than normal, approximately a prime 16 to a bad 19 (good 19s get upgraded into the 2NT opening). So the question is, what is the ideal continuation structure for this specific auction?

My current thinking:

3 "Lebensohl" with up to 7 points, requests opener bids 3 p/c. With top half of range opener bids paradox style e.g. 3 = would accept a heart signoff but with diamonds please bid 3NT.

3 Checkback for 6 hearts / 3 spades.

3/3/4/4 Natural and forcing.

Thoughts?
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#2 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-01, 16:49

Have you considered transfers? Seems to be a simple and effective solution here (and since the title includes "T-Walsh" we ought to at least use part of it B-) ).
(-: Zel :-)

#3 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-01, 17:41

View PostZelandakh, on 2015-September-01, 16:49, said:

Have you considered transfers? Seems to be a simple and effective solution here (and since the title includes "T-Walsh" we ought to at least use part of it B-) ).

Yes, in fact before I played T-Walsh I always played transfers over 1x-1y-2NT. Why do you think they are superior in this instance?
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#4 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-02, 03:25

View Postmgoetze, on 2015-September-01, 17:41, said:

Yes, in fact before I played T-Walsh I always played transfers over 1x-1y-2NT. Why do you think they are superior in this instance?

Well they are clearly superior when we have a minor. The other cases are roughly equal except for the "Lebensohl" invites, which I do not see the utility in. Indeed, if using 3 in this way I think I prefer Wolf to allow signing off in diamonds or spades with a dreck hand. The main thing I dislike though is that 4 is just way too high to start slam investigations. Within your structure, one easy modification would be to disallow the heart hand from 3 so that 1 - 1; 2NT - 3; 3 - 3 becomes a slam try with diamonds. I think you get more from this than a heart invite and it helps a little with a problem hand type.
(-: Zel :-)

#5 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2015-September-05, 07:40

When I still played 1H - 1S as natural, we played continuations after 1H-1S-2NT as

3C = diamond canape, opener completes to play opposite a weak hand with diamonds (can break to 3NT if he expects the diamonds to run)
3D = please bid 3H, unbreakable. When followed up by 3NT shows a doubleton heart and offers choice of games (allows opener to rebid 2NT with 6 hearts and the right strength), with any other follow up is a slam try with 3-card heart support. The number of spades implied depends on what you would respond to 1H with, say, a 4324. Responder can also pass 3H if the 1S response was a joke.
3H = 5+ spades, FG. We played this FG because 1H-2S was about 5-8 (the 'strong WJS' style) so responder can't have a hand that wants to sign off in 3S. Opener bids 3S unsure, 3NT to play, 4m cue for spades. Over 3NT, responder's 4m is a 5-5 slam try (with a single-suited spade slam try responder bids 4m splinter over 2NT)
3S = canape spades & clubs. Opener only bids 3NT if he believes clubs will run, otherwise 4C (non-forcing) or others cue for clubs.

However, this is all int he context of what weak hands you respond 1S on (rather than 1NT or pass)

#6 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-05, 09:12

I've also been thinking about adding some more hand types to the 2NT rebid. For instance the difficult jump shift (19-21 point) hands with 6 hearts and 4 of a minor. Then

1-1-2NT-3 (Lebensohl)...

...3 good 16 to bad 18 balanced, ready to accept signoff
...3 6 hearts, 4 clubs
...3 6 hearts, 4 diamonds
...3NT good 18 to 19 balanced.

1-1-2NT-3 (Checkback)...

...3 semibalanced but 6 hearts
...3 balanced with 3 spades
...3NT balanced with 2 spades
...4m the 6-4 hand.

Obviously this would make the 2NT rebid forcing, but since we can get out in 3M opposite the minimum balanced hand that doesn't seem like a real problem. I don't think this would work as well with the transfer responses.

Comments? If you decided to outsource some second hand type into this rebid, which hand type would it be?
    -- Bertrand Russell

#7 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-05, 15:35

Why are 6-4 hands problematic for jump shifts? If you really want to add a hand to 2NT, I would use it for strong one-suited hands. Or maybe 6322 hands with 19-20 hcp (so the 3NT rebid can remain of the running suit type).
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users