BBO Discussion Forums: Slow Pass - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Slow Pass

Poll: Slow Pass (17 member(s) have cast votes)

UI

1. 4d is allowed (2 votes [11.76%])

Percentage of vote: 11.76%

2. 4d is not allowed (15 votes [88.24%])

Percentage of vote: 88.24%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2015-September-01, 12:23

Matchpoints, and yes I don't understand the E/W bidding either but souths pass over 3s was slow is 4d allowed or not

thanks

Eagles
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#2 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2015-September-01, 13:05

Does the UI suggest anything? Yes, the UI surely suggests bidding on.

Is pass a LA for North? Yes, with not much more than a minimum opener and Kx in opp's suit pass should probably be a LA for North.

Was the NOS damaged? Unclear, since you didn't tell us how many tricks were taken in 4, but I do expect 3 to make so probably yes.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#3 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-01, 13:18

I would think that if you don't understand the E/W bidding at the table then pass is certainly an LA.

The question remains: "What does the BIT suggest?" If you look at the North hand only (that is the information that North had at the time) you need to ask yourself what South could be thinking about. Could he have a 4=4=3=2 with 9 HCP and think about a penalty double? That is highly unlikely, given that you hold Kx in spades (and the opponents would have 9 clubs together that they never mentioned in a takeout double auction). So, partner must have been thinking about bidding 4 (or possibly 3NT, "along the way to 4"). That means that the BIT demonstrably suggests bidding 4 over passing.

So, the BIT suggests 4 over pass, which is an LA, and, therefore, 4 is not allowed.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#4 User is offline   lamford 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-02, 04:44

View PostTrinidad, on 2015-September-01, 13:18, said:

I would think that if you don't understand the E/W bidding at the table then pass is certainly an LA.

The question remains: "What does the BIT suggest?" If you look at the North hand only (that is the information that North had at the time) you need to ask yourself what South could be thinking about. Could he have a 4=4=3=2 with 9 HCP and think about a penalty double? That is highly unlikely, given that you hold Kx in spades (and the opponents would have 9 clubs together that they never mentioned in a takeout double auction). So, partner must have been thinking about bidding 4 (or possibly 3NT, "along the way to 4"). That means that the BIT demonstrably suggests bidding 4 over passing.

So, the BIT suggests 4 over pass, which is an LA, and, therefore, 4 is not allowed.

Rik

Are NS playing forcing passes, or support passes, over 3S? More seriously, I would disallow 4D by North, although I might well have bid it on the South hand on the previous round. Adjust to 100% of 3S= for me.
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#5 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-02, 07:33

Did 1-X-1 show 5 ? if it did, with the known double fit pass becomes less of a LA. Did it ostensibly deny the strength S had by failure to XX ?

Absent any special treatments, pass looks like a LA.

#6 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-September-02, 13:00

If 1 showed 5, surely North would have raised, especially at matchpoints. I have to assume that it doesn't, and additionally that NS aren't playing support doubles.

#7 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2015-September-02, 13:09

no we don't play any of that stuff. Cheers all for responses, the reason is my P was North and I thought his 4d was slightly unethical and would be disallowed if director was called (he doesnt know much about laws/ethics etc) so I wanted to get a few responses to show him when we next play!
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#8 User is offline   chrism 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-September-02, 19:47

View Posteagles123, on 2015-September-02, 13:09, said:

no we don't play any of that stuff. Cheers all for responses, the reason is my P was North and I thought his 4d was slightly unethical and would be disallowed if director was called (he doesnt know much about laws/ethics etc) so I wanted to get a few responses to show him when we next play!

It would probably be disallowed, but I would only describe it as "unethical" if he knew better. Next time he does it, it will be unethical.

#9 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-06, 08:28

An extra + to Chrism. "Unethical" is a characterization which should be used much less than we use it. It closes the mind and puts up barriers.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users