• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Has GIB taken up Walsh?

#1 User is offline   iandayre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-September-01, 11:21

http://tinyurl.com/p7h2wuw

The N hand here responded 1S, bypassing the longer Diamond suit. I haven't noticed it do that before, has anyone else?

Also on this hand, I still don't like the fact that I can pass the unpassed 1S response with a high expectation of success. But I have no qualms about using the information I am entitled to playing with GIB to my own advantage.

#2 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-01, 16:35

View Postiandayre, on 2015-September-01, 11:21, said:

http://tinyurl.com/p7h2wuw

The N hand here responded 1S, bypassing the longer Diamond suit. I haven't noticed it do that before, has anyone else?

Also on this hand, I still don't like the fact that I can pass the unpassed 1S response with a high expectation of success. But I have no qualms about using the information I am entitled to playing with GIB to my own advantage.

Several people, me included, like the suggestion that in best hand tournaments, either the human or the GIB partner may have the best hand. If you have less than 10 HCP, you will still know that partner has the best hand at the table, so the only way to solve that is not have best hand tournaments. Or maybe randomly not give the human side the best hand so you won't know partner's maximum range. Since the conditions of contest say that the human always has the best hand, I see no problem using that information.

#3 User is offline   Siegmund 

• Alchemist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Creator of the 'grbbridge' LaTeX typesetting package.

Posted 2015-September-01, 22:40

Re the Walsh, I think GIB has always done that when sufficiently weak, though I don't know offhand how weak 'sufficiently weak' is.

It's one of those things I don't notice since "everyone" in my area does this in live games :)

#4 User is offline   iandayre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-02, 13:47

View Postjohnu, on 2015-September-01, 16:35, said:

Several people, me included, like the suggestion that in best hand tournaments, either the human or the GIB partner may have the best hand. If you have less than 10 HCP, you will still know that partner has the best hand at the table, so the only way to solve that is not have best hand tournaments. Or maybe randomly not give the human side the best hand so you won't know partner's maximum range. Since the conditions of contest say that the human always has the best hand, I see no problem using that information.

My suggestion was as follows. I still want the human player to have at least 10, perhaps better 11, HCP. But I would like it to be possible for partner to have a better hand. It is important to me that our side have most of the cards most of the time, so that we defend a smaller amount of the time. Defending with GIB is, very often, frustrating guesswork due to its lack of ability to signal or understand signals.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users