#1 User is offline   patroclo 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-August-31, 05:11

#2 User is offline   apollo1201 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-August-31, 11:51

If you play X in this position as the 4th suit + tolerance or fit for partner's suit and at least constructive values, you're ok. Then you can raise partner's S bid to 2 or 3 and she will play there.
Without this gadget, I would bid 1S and support D at the next turn if partner is not excided by the S. But it would tend to show 5 cards.

#3 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2015-August-31, 12:31

All three other players have bid and North has an opening hand. Is anybody lying? You can't tell, but the situation is somewhat ambiguous. You might suspect that partner may have made a light overcall, but can't know for sure.

Let's look at North's hand. It does have 14 HCPs but it consists of a tenace, two other Ks, and a probable stopper setting in front of opener's hand. It rates to be worth a little less than its point count because the placement of As or honors is somewhat more likely to be wrong. Downgrading its value below an opener would be extreme, but you may bid just a tad more conservatively than otherwise.

North's first order of business is get a handle on who holds the balance of power and whether the hand is good for part score or game. The normal method to do that is to cue bid opener's suit showing a hand of at least 11+ HCP.

How the auction develops after that depends on everyone's bidding agreement. If opener passes, South can rebid 2 to show less than an opener or bid something else to show opening values. If opener bids or doubles, then a pass by South would indicate a light less than opening overcall while another other action would show a better hand.

#4 User is offline   BillPatch 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:income taxes, american history, energy

Posted 2015-September-01, 06:24

View Postapollo1201, on 2015-August-31, 11:51, said:

If you play X in this position as the 4th suit + tolerance or fit for partner's suit and at least constructive values, you're ok. Then you can raise partner's S bid to 2 or 3 and she will play there.
Without this gadget, I would bid 1S and support D at the next turn if partner is not excided by the S. But it would tend to show 5 cards.

According to the Bridge World polls, globally a majority play 1 over an overcall as non-forcing, so you would be unsure of a next round.

#5 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-01, 06:59

A snapdragon double is typically 5-2, with 4-3 I would just raise diamonds, presumably 2 is the good diamond raise. 1NT is not crazy either.

But of course if double only shows four spades in your system, then it is a double.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#6 User is offline   BillPatch 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:income taxes, american history, energy

Posted 2015-September-01, 07:27

View Posthelene_t, on 2015-September-01, 06:59, said:

A snapdragon double is typically 5-2, with 4-3 I would just raise diamonds, presumably 2 is the good diamond raise. 1NT is not crazy either.

But of course if double only shows four spades in your system, then it is a double.

While the overcaller must be aware that the 2 bid will frequently have a good diamond raise, this particular 2 bidder has alternative contracts in mind if overcaller were to show extras, in spades when that happens to be overcaller's 2nd suit, or in NT.

#7 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-01, 07:57

I could get behind any of X, 1NT, 2C or 2NT. At the table I'd pick one of 2C and 2NT, but not sure which - perhaps 2NT describes the shape and values the best. Of course this assumes a style where partner won't have AQxxxx and out.

ahydra

#8 User is offline   jodepp 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-01, 08:56

First, is it OK to state I don't like ANY of the first three actions? :) I don't think they're wrong, just not my style (of course, I'm an old curmudgeon).

North obviously knows just about everyone in this auction is light, and on basic principles in should be the opponents; 1 should be based on SOMETHING, not just a diamond suit (else what's the point of it). Given that this appears to be 'our' hand, it appears our choices depend on methods available. If 'snapdragon' is on and you double, you might survive 1 from overcaller with a 'jump correction' to 3 even though I confess the hand isn't 'classic' for snapdragon. Overcaller will know to 'correct back' to 3, although I don't see North stopping below game (which looks hopeless).

If snapdragon wasn't available, I guess I'd just start with a cuebid (probably 2), raising overcaller's 2 to 3.

This hand should show why a 1 overcall on South's cards is a long-term loser.

#9 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-05, 03:39

Auto 2
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users