BBO Discussion Forums: How to deal with this? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How to deal with this?

Poll: How to deal with this? (9 member(s) have cast votes)

What should N do in round 2?

1. pass (4 votes [44.44%])

Percentage of vote: 44.44%

2. 3[hearts] (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. 3[spades] (5 votes [55.56%])

Percentage of vote: 55.56%

4. 3NT (0 votes [0.00%])

5. 4[clubs] (0 votes [0.00%])

6. 4[diamonds] (0 votes [0.00%])

7. 5[diamonds] (0 votes [0.00%])

8. other (0 votes [0.00%])

Do you consider opening 1NT with the S hand (7222)?

1. Yes (2 votes [22.22%])

Percentage of vote: 22.22%

2. Occasionally but not here (2 votes [22.22%])

Percentage of vote: 22.22%

3. I used to, with this hand type, but gave it up (0 votes [0.00%])

4. Never (5 votes [55.56%])

Percentage of vote: 55.56%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   m1cha 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-August-30, 12:37

Last night I took part in a robot tournament (as a human player). In one board I ended up playing 4 in a 4-2 fit againts a 6-1 trumps break going down 4 (IMPs, vulnerable, undoubled) :( . This turned out to get a decent result because most other players also played 4 in a 4-2 fit against a 6-1 trumps break, and two of them went down 5. How could this happen?

Here's the board:

3 from S shows 17 - 20 total points and twice rebiddable s iirc. 3 from N was labeled 5+ s, 8+ total points and is perhaps an attempt to keep the road to 3NT open. 4 from S should bring 3 cards in . Bud 3 is obviously forcing and may be very strong, something must be done and the players decided to raise to 4 with doubleton support to play in a 5-2 or 6-2 fit since there's no other full game in view. This is what happened, now: How should this be bid correctly?

I'd argue that 3 from S is the best available description of the hand, but the 3 bid from N looks plain crazy to me. What should N do instead? This situation has a number of side-questions:
- May 3 from S be passed?
- Should 3 from N be natural or artificial?
- Should 4 from N be invitational or Minorwood?
- And was S at fault by raising to 4?

By the way, the top score in this board went to a player who passed in the first round (as S with a 7-card suit and 15 HCP, oh yes!). W opened 2, Weak2, N and E passed, and S now bid 3 to be played and made. No comment on this. However, this brings up another interesing aspect because there is another, more sensible way of getting there. If S opens 1NT(!), N will pass but the opponents will do something; S then rebids 3 probably to be played. Opening 1NT with a 7-card minor in 7222 is perfectly legal and not even alertable, I believe, but it is not common. Has anyone tried this on a regular basis, and what is your experience?

#2 User is offline   apollo1201 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-August-31, 15:32

I would pass as N in MP but trying to reach 3NT in IMP with useful honors and vuln would look tempting (provided the 3D is indeed as strong as "alerted"). I would consider 1NT as S as an option but I would just freak out and open 1D. I opened once a 7222 of 18 or 19 with 2NT and it turned good, but I'm not sure it is systematizable. Anyway it is quite rare...

#3 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-August-31, 16:35

3s for me

I am willing to try to get us to 3n and pass will not get us there. It is true that I am investing an extra level but with kxx dia and K of spades my hand is much better than it has to be for my 1h bid and even 5d is not out of the picture if p is short in clubs. 3d is indeed passable and there are quite a few hands I would pass with but the dia honor and spade control give me good reason to think game is possible. Now for even better news - what about 4s? It is indeed possible partner began with 4 spades and has been unable to show them and while our 3s bid does not promise 4 of them we can always retreat from 4s to 5d on those hands here we would sit happily ever after.

#4 User is offline   m1cha 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-September-01, 20:49

View Postgszes, on 2015-August-31, 16:35, said:

Now for even better news - what about 4s? It is indeed possible partner began with 4 spades and has been unable to show them and while our 3s bid does not promise 4 of them we can always retreat from 4s to 5d on those hands here we would sit happily ever after.

I'm afraid I would not have understood your 4 bid though I like it. So how can you cue bid with a slam-going hand? 3 also, and if partner bids 3NT and you continue beyond, you were showing the ace (or king) of ?

@apollo1201: Yes, I also prefer to play the 3 rebid weaker, but that's what the label said.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users