Posted 2015-August-29, 19:20

I'd get to 6 not 6N.

We would bid (not playing 2/1 but doesn't matter that much in this auction):

1-1
2(at least 6)-2(art inv+ strength)
3(3 no 4M good hand for 2)-3(stop)
3N( stop)-4
4-4N(interested)
6(if partner's still interested in the knowledge that I don't have a red king, the 2 red Qs and Q have got to be good)

#3 User is offline   echo25 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-August-30, 02:50

Either 6NT and 6C are horrible without Q of hearts. I don't see any reasonable way to reach level 6.

#4 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-August-30, 03:29

View Postecho25, on 2015-August-30, 02:50, said:

Either 6NT and 6C are horrible without Q of hearts. I don't see any reasonable way to reach level 6.

Yeah, but if E has the 10 and not Q it suddenly becomes a lot better. If E can show he has a good 2 rebid then he's likely to have enough cards to make the slam viable.

#5 User is offline   BillPatch 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:income taxes, american history, energy

Posted 2015-August-30, 03:51

A natural 4 NT bid rather than the 3 NT in the should show this hand and allow the NT slam to be found. This is the Bridge World Standard treatment. If partner is a 4 NT is always BW or RKC, nothing will work this side of the pond..

#6 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I'm also on YOUTUBE with a channel of music songs .

Posted 2015-August-30, 04:09

Indipendently what one can say accordling own system W has an hand with 18 points and three cards for the suit of partner almost 5th. Fourthemore E with 2 it is doing a cue for an eventually NT contract. Than all of it says that can be more of 3NT. After 1 hand of E value 16 points (with a suit of six cards yet to tell an unbalanced and opp silent).

#7 User is offline   jodepp 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-30, 04:16

Why would one want to be in 6NT from West's side?

If East bids what's in front of his nose on the third round (2NT instead of 2) West might raise quantitatively to 4NT and East will go on, but let's be honest here - this is a pretty optimistic sequence by both players. I don't think this slam falls into the 'easily biddable' category.

I think East's 2 is silly. Yes, it can't be misunderstood (can't show four spades) but should be reserved for hands that have anti-positional values, something like:

Axx
xx
xx
AKJxxx

East's 'cute' 2 threw a monkey wrench in the works.

#8 User is offline   BillPatch 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-30, 04:32

View Postjodepp, on 2015-August-30, 04:16, said:

Why would one want to be in 6NT from West's side?

If East bids what's in front of his nose on the third round (2NT instead of 2) West might raise quantitatively to 4NT and East will go on, but let's be honest here - this is a pretty optimistic sequence by both players. I don't think this slam falls into the 'easily biddable' category.

I think East's 2 is silly. Yes, it can't be misunderstood (can't show four spades) but should be reserved for hands that have anti-positional values, something like:

Axx
xx
xx
AKJxxx

East's 'cute' 2 threw a monkey wrench in the works.

Qutie an improvement over the original auction. East has extra points, reasonable intermediates, and a reasonable suit, so he should easily accept the 4NT slam invitation.

#9 User is offline   zdedo 

• PipPip

Posted 2015-August-30, 05:13

I think it could be like this
1= 13+ pt- 16+
2 13-15 6+ - 2 4 cards GF
2 NT minimum parietal stoppers in unbid suits- 3C 2+ cards I think we have slam
3 Cue - 4NT (we have all Aces what about K & Q )and W can choose the contract 6 or 6 NT

#10 User is offline   wanoff 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-30, 05:56

Playing Acol wk it would begin 1-1-1NT(15-17) and you'd have to be a bit wet to not get there.

I don't know 2/1 but would 1-1-2-2-3NT-6NT be ok ?

#11 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-30, 06:47

Do not get overly concerned with missing too many :miracle: making hands. For ex" move the heart Q to the club Q and 6n suddenly looks pretty poor while 6c is a bit over 75%.

1c
1d
2c
2h stuff in hearts for nt purposes (length not overly important since opener already denied 4 hearts) at least invitational and "some kind of problem with bidding nt"
3n willing to accept invite and double spade stop a bonus
4c mild slam try makes clear the reason why 2h was bid vs some number of nt too strong
4s the heart and dia Q's suddenly spring back to life and even the iffy spade q is protected against the opening lead. Though somewhat min for previous actions the club j may be worth a lot more than normal with at least a 9 card club fit. 4s is a cue bid (at the same time denying heart or diamond a or k)

6c since our total hcp are around 31 32 it is best not to hope for too much in the way of miracles and settle for a small slam. There are many reasons for this and number 1 on the list is that opener (sometimes) has to rebid clubs with only 5 of them so pushing too hard for 7 or the perfecto 6n makes little sense on a hand with no plausible side suit to set up for extra tricks.

Oh it makes 7n ah well cant win them all:) i'm happy with my 6c shot but that's just me.

#12 User is offline   wanoff 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-30, 07:34

View Postgszes, on 2015-August-30, 06:47, said:

Do not get overly concerned with missing too many :miracle: making hands. For ex" move the heart Q to the club Q and 6n suddenly looks pretty poor while 6c is a bit over 75%.

Even then 6N is good. Safety play s by A then small to Q. If they are anything other than K10xx offside, you have time to try for the 12th trick elsewhere.

#13 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2015-August-30, 08:01

View Postwanoff, on 2015-August-30, 07:34, said:

Even then 6N is good. Safety play s by A then small to Q. If they are anything other than K10xx offside, you have time to try for the 12th trick elsewhere.

Well it is from the hand that might well not be declaring it, not so good on a spade lead thru the AQ.

#14 User is offline   wanoff 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-30, 08:39

View PostCyberyeti, on 2015-August-30, 08:01, said:

Well it is from the hand that might well not be declaring it, not so good on a spade lead thru the AQ.

Yes, I suppose West might remove 6 to 6NT

#15 User is offline   cloa513 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-30, 08:59

View Postdickiegera, on 2015-August-29, 18:57, said:

How should this be bid to get to 6NT?

Makes 7NT

Thank you

First upgrade East's opening to 1NT 15-17 then West knows about the queen from the start.

#16 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2015-August-30, 11:28

Question: 1C-1H-2C-2D shows what?

Quote often this 2D is played much like 1C-1H-1NT-2D. Not necessarily showing diamonds, and at least invitational values. Sometimes it also shows an interest in a minor suit slam. Assuming, either by discussion or logic, that 2D shows at least invitational values then, unless there has been a detailed discussion about what 2S shows, I think opener can bid 3NT. His hand was decent to start with, his red cards look useful, he has the AQ of spades which will be well placed for an opening spade lead or it will at least deter a spade lead. he doesn't know about the Axx in clubs, but he can be reasonably confident that 3NT will play well and now responder, with extra values and a decent club fit, can do as s/he thinks best.

This is a decent slam, but no guarantees. If responder pulls 3Nt to 4C, I imagine they will find slam in either clubs or NT. Even at mps, 6C is apt to score decently. Nobody wants to be in 7 of anything on this.

Whether 2D is payed as natural showing diamonds or artificial, it seems to me it should show invitational values. Otherwise, passing 2C is likely to be right.
Ken

#17 User is offline   BillPatch 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-30, 13:04

A right-sided 6NT is about 76% looking only at the two hands, so if it is reached reasonably the choice of the NT slam is probably wise. 6 is also about 76%(minus the possibility of a club ruff)so it might be preferable at IMPS. Then again the underlead of the spade K is normal against the suit contract when that card is offsides, so my bet is 6 clubs is best in the long run at IMPs. As is common OP failed to mention whether the game was matchpoints, IMPS, or other. and it is material to the analysis.

#18 User is offline   runewell 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-30, 15:17

After the 2C rebid, in my methods I can bid 4D as 1430. Partner would respond 4N showing 2 key cards with no queen of clubs.
We don't have the queen of trump, and I figure partner for six clubs (could be 5 or 7) then we have a slightly less than 50% chance of a club loser.
But then, that's only 7 of partner's HCP. He rates to fill in something somewhere. I think 6C is as ambitious as I want to be.

#19 User is offline   marcindz 

• PipPip

Posted 2015-August-30, 16:32

Hello Dickiegera.

This is very special situation: W holds most of the information and he should be asking about more and more. He did that. After 2!C of his partner he had visions of this sort:

He forces with 2!D bid. After partner's 2!S he couldn't go 4NT, because answer would be 5!C on KDJ!S or KD!S or AD!S or A!S. He needs to put the bidding on hold. 3!C does the job perfectly. The partner will likely go 4!H splinter, which can be followed by 4NT afterwards. After 5!H answer the partner will picture the hand like this:

Seeing this - W should go for either chance 6!C or sure 5NT. Since after bidding it is sure !D lead... and you go for 2-2 clubs distribution... <40% contract does not seem like the way to go.

Should be 5NT. 6 clubs is a very wishful bid.

#20 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-30, 17:27

View Postecho25, on 2015-August-30, 02:50, said:

I don't get what you are saying. East knows he has Q and he knows it's a valuable card - it's in partner's longest suit!
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users