• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

6 NT How to bid? 2/1 ACBL

#21 User is offline   GrahamJson 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-August-31, 04:26

Why the pointless 2S bid? If E bids 3NT on the third round, showing extra values, it is easy for W to raise to 4 or even 6. Either way you should reach slam.

#22 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-August-31, 05:27

Coming from an Acol background I thought the same as Graham - 3NT from East on their third call - but it would not surprise me if this is wrong in a 5 and strong system. If East does bid 3NT I would say it is trivial for West to go slamming in clubs. If 2 does not show extras and East can only bid 2NT then perhaps we want to consider our methods. Presumably 3 now from Responder would be forcing and show slam interest though (otherwise we are very system-constrained!) and Opener has every reason to cooperate so I think investigating slam is right on most auctions.
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

#23 User is offline   BillPatch 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:income taxes, american history, energy

Posted 2015-August-31, 11:10

View Postjodepp, on 2015-August-30, 04:16, said:

Why would one want to be in 6NT from West's side?

If East bids what's in front of his nose on the third round (2NT instead of 2) West might raise quantitatively to 4NT and East will go on, but let's be honest here - this is a pretty optimistic sequence by both players. I don't think this slam falls into the 'easily biddable' category.

I think East's 2 is silly. Yes, it can't be misunderstood (can't show four spades) but should be reserved for hands that have anti-positional values, something like:

Axx
xx
xx
AKJxxx

East's 'cute' 2 threw a monkey wrench in the works.

2NT throws a monkey wrench in the works. It does not accept the game try and shows a minimum opening. So a slam try by responder over 2NT is ludicrous. Surely a 3NT rebid is appropriate, after which responder should find the 4NT quantitative and a good slam should be found.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users