• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Interesting GIB defence

#1 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-August-29, 11:06

MP, Instant, 34

I got a bit above average here. Replicated by a lot of pairs, and some defended 3H. I was not expecting a pile of MPs because I kind of expected to share the board with a lot of them. However I did not expect anyone to outscore me. But two pairs made an overtrick on the same auction (and of course same lead, as nowadays we are all on version 34).

Care to guess how they did it? Second thoughts, what a futile question.

At my table (and at all tables in 3N) GIB kicks off with a cracking Spade lead - on course to defeat the contract and the only lead to do so,

West can now beat it by clearing the Spades and waiting until he gets in with the Club King to continue. He can even afford to switch to Hearts at trick 2, which declarer must duck (or go 2 down), and then revert back to Spades from the top at trick 3.

Interestingly a low Spade back at trick 2 lets the contract through: West is embarrassed for discards on the run of the diamonds. If he bares his Heart then you cash the ace to strip him of that exit, throw him in with a Spade and he has to lead a Club away from the king after cashing his Spades.

But that would be rather a bizarre line of defence compared with the rather trivial one of leading Spades out from the top (whether by way of one Heart in the meantime or not).

So it was with a feeling of foreboding that I followed to trick 1, ducked the Heart Q at trick 2 and West accurately cashed Spade at trick 3. But then I was delighted to see the Heart Jack hit the table at trick 4. A palooka defence, but hardly worthy of a forum post. Uncharacteristically poor of GIB version 34, but what the hey.

Back in the driving seat I could now afford the losing Club finesse to establish a second Club trick and the contract.

Hence my expectation for a (shared) top.

As for the two tables that made an overtrick, they got of course the same start. But at trick 2 they craftily (?) won the first round of Hearts, ensuring that my granny partnering her dog could now take this two down as they still had heart communication. But wait. You run off your 5 Diamonds and West comes down to

(Note, from 765 of Spades it would very rarely play the 5 first, in my view - much less than 1/3 of the time)

You probably should just cash the Club Ace now and give up, but ever the optimist you take a Club finesse and West ..... DUCKS. His King then falling under the Ace on trick 9.

What's that all about?

Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users