Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Spingold Sensor Action?

#1 User is offline   lamford 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-August-28, 15:42

You are trailing by 32 in the round of 32, so you could say that it is a game of chess, on an 8 x 8 board. The opponents get to slam in two bids. What action do you take and why?
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#2 User is offline   psyck 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Interests:Bridge, Chess, Reading, Music, Travelling, Movies.

Posted 2015-August-28, 17:59

Double if sitting EW and pass if sitting NS?
Cheers, Krishna.

#3 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2015-August-29, 02:41

View Postpsyck, on 2015-August-28, 17:59, said:

Double if sitting EW and pass if sitting NS?

You have lost me there. Do you think EW should double their own contract?

#4 User is offline   psyck 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Interests:Bridge, Chess, Reading, Music, Travelling, Movies.

Posted 2015-August-29, 05:22

My comment was on the general strategy to be employed in such situations, of course my comment was not meant to be taken seriously in the first place.
Cheers, Krishna.

#5 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-29, 10:55

Opps are probably ahead due to sound bidding so there is strong reason to believe they can make 6h. While we can bid 7d and probably go for less than their slam an even better plan is to start with

6s

Impossible to get wrong since we are a passed hand it is an obvious lead director just in case the opps bid more. Not only that there is a slim chance we actually belong in 6s. If the opps x we will go to safer pasture in 7d but if they pass 6s?? (ah who am i kidding). SOTM means defending is hopelesly unlikely to gain us (either x or no x) much but bidding on just might make up some ground.

#6 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2015-August-29, 20:00

Lamford asks "You are trailing by 32 in the round of 32, so you could say that it is a game of chess, on an 8 x 8 board. The opponents get to slam in two bids. What action do you take and why?"

More like Poker at 32red. You might argue that opponents who know the score, will bid conservatively. In the other room, if the auction starts in a similar way, South might double to show values. Since you need a swing, you might try a courageous 6, instead. If this works badly, kind team-mates might accept your good intentions.
Possibly (but IMO less likely) in the other room, South will judge to bid one more since both sides seem to have fit -- but even then there'll be scope for swing generation at the 7-level.

#7 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2015-August-31, 17:35

View Postnige1, on 2015-August-29, 20:00, said:

Lamford asks "You are trailing by 32 in the round of 32, so you could say that it is a game of chess, on an 8 x 8 board. The opponents get to slam in two bids. What action do you take and why?"

More like Poker at 32red. You might argue that opponents who know the score, will bid conservatively. In the other room, if the auction starts in a similar way, South might double to show values. Since you need a swing, you might try a courageous 6, instead. If this works badly, kind team-mates might accept your good intentions.
Possibly (but IMO less likely) in the other room, South will judge to bid one more since both sides seem to have fit -- but even then there'll be scope for swing generation at the 7-level.

South doubled, and his partner had a singleton spade which he led and got his ruff for one down. 17 IMPs in!

#8 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-02, 20:07

Yet another in a longgggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg line of reasons I am not winning the Spingold any time soon

#9 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-03, 05:47

View Postlamford, on 2015-August-28, 15:42, said:

You are trailing by 32 in the round of 32, so you could say that it is a game of chess, on an 8 x 8 board. The opponents get to slam in two bids. What action do you take and why?

Its essentially impossible for 7d to be a good spot. Partner would have doubled and bid diamonds if he had Kx Axx AKxxxx Ax or something. Can't afford to miss 3N. Double and hope both go down must be the best chance for a big pick up surely. Just cause 6H is a decent spot doesnt mean that it will not go off this time. Maybe it just needs 2-2 hearts, or maybe its cold except for a spade ruff, or maybe they have missed a cold 7H. Double and hope for the best must be right.
The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real. - Sheldon Cooper

#10 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2015-September-03, 06:11

View Postphil_20686, on 2015-September-03, 05:47, said:

Double and hope for the best must be right.

Double and hope that partner, Ron Schwartz, reads your signal for a spade lead must indeed be right. You still need him to have the king or a singleton, of course.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users