• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Cheating Allegations

#501 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-September-16, 10:25

It seems that Monaco has withdrawn and that Denmark will play in the BB instead.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#502 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2015-September-16, 12:13

Congrats to former forum user mfa1010 who will represent Denmark in the Bermuda Bowl and a big applause to Geir Helgemo who will take his place as the captain of the Danish women's team.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#503 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-16, 12:51

View Postmgoetze, on 2015-September-16, 12:13, said:

Congrats to former forum user mfa1010 who will represent Denmark in the Bermuda Bowl and a big applause to Geir Helgemo who will take his place as the captain of the Danish women's team.

According to bridge.dk it will be Jan Nielsen who will captain the ladies' team.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#504 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2015-September-16, 15:58

I think what's even more shocking about FN is that it has become obvious that there were some very high ranking players and official's who knew these two were suspicious.
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#505 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-16, 17:06

View Posthelene_t, on 2015-September-16, 12:51, said:

According to bridge.dk it will be Jan Nielsen who will captain the ladies' team.

A lady in BW confirmed that it is Helgemo.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#506 User is offline   hrothgar 

• Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2015-September-16, 17:33

View PostMrAce, on 2015-September-16, 17:06, said:

A lady in BW confirmed that it is Helgemo.

I suspect that she was joking...
Alderaan delenda est

#507 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-16, 18:22

Interesting comments on the Monaco Withdraws From Bermuda Bowl thread... jdonn sez:

Since I have been ‘called out’ several times as someone who made mention of a ‘third pair’ I do want to clarify a few things. This is my perspective only, of course.

First, I only said I heard rumors (I actually heard some of a fourth pair as well, but not as many, and not enough to make me confident either way.) I never said I had or was aware of any hard evidence. It was in response to a specific question of, how many pairs at the top are believed to be cheating.

Second, I never said they were or weren't European.

Third, I never said they did or didn't qualify for the Bermuda Bowl.

Fourth, I do feel confident in saying that the pair(s) I'm referring to aren't on teams nearly as successful as teams that FS and FN are on.

If anyone out there is gathering hard evidence on another pair who qualified for the Bermuda Bowl, I don't know anything about it!

... but then Boye Brogeland says ...

Hi Cameron. It's not the time for celebration. It's time to go to work. We can clean up the whole game before Chennai. It's now or never.

"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#508 User is offline   MickyB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-16, 19:14

View Posthelene_t, on 2015-September-16, 12:51, said:

Helgemo couldn't officially be captain as he's not Danish...he could be coach, or he could have NPC powers signed over to him by Jan Nielsen.

#509 User is offline   paulg 

Posted 2015-September-17, 01:12

View PostMickyB, on 2015-September-16, 19:14, said:

Helgemo couldn't officially be captain as he's not Danish...he could be coach, or he could have NPC powers signed over to him by Jan Nielsen.

In a different time when the WBF did not have other things to worry about, I think they would take a dim view of anyone who signed over NPC powers to an ineligible NPC. This is precisely what their stupid rule requiring that the NPC is eligible for the country is supposed to prevent.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#510 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2015-September-17, 01:15

View Postpaulg, on 2015-September-17, 01:12, said:

In a different time when the WBF did not have other things to worry about, I think they would take a dim view of anyone who signed over NPC powers to an ineligible NPC. This is precisely what their stupid rule requiring that the NPC is eligible for the country is supposed to prevent.

You would think they would condone such things for the Danish (and Swedish) team under the current circumstances.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#511 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-September-17, 05:59

Please stop speculating who the third pair might be - if you KNOW, just use private messages, but do not post in public until the names are published and widely known elsewhere (like BW or some press release, official announcement, etc). If you don't know, stop guessing in public, you're hurting honest pairs.

#512 User is offline   shyams 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-17, 06:08

View Postdiana_eva, on 2015-September-17, 05:59, said:

Please stop speculating who the third pair might be - if you KNOW, just use private messages, but do not post in public until the names are published and widely known elsewhere (like BW or some press release, official announcement, etc). If you don't know, stop guessing in public, you're hurting honest pairs.

My upvote to this. It's also good that some recent posts were removed from this thread.

#513 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-17, 08:32

From the NBB (Dutch Bridge League) website (today, September 17, 2015):

Eric Laurant is door de European Bridge League (EBL) benoemd tot voorzitter van een commissie die de recente beschuldigingen van vals spel gaat onderzoeken. De paren die beschuldigd worden zijn Fisher-Schwartz (Israël) en Fantoni-Nunes (Italië/Monaco). Laurant was in 2011 de captain van het Nederlandse team dat in Veldhoven wereldkampioen werd. Sinds 2012 zit hij in het bestuur van de European Bridge League.

My translation:

Eric Laurant has been appointed by the EBL as chair of a committee that will investigate the recent cheating accusations. The accused pairs are Fisher-Schwartz (Israël) and Fantoni-Nunes (Italy/Monaco). Laurant was de captain of the Dutch team that won the Bermuda Bowl in Veldhoven in 2011. He has been on the board of the EBL since 2012.

My addition:
Eric Laurant is a strong player and he has been chair of the Dutch Bridge League.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#514 User is offline   WesleyC 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-September-18, 00:38

Pete Holland's Triple Dummy Episode 6 features Ishmael Delmonte who has played a big part over the past couple months.

Although a lot of the stuff is repeated from bridgewinners, he also adds a few personal opinions and behind the scenes info that I found interesting.

#515 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-18, 03:23

View PostWesleyC, on 2015-September-18, 00:38, said:

Pete Holland's Triple Dummy Episode 6 features Ishmael Delmonte who has played a big part over the past couple months.

Just to point out that this "1 and 40 zeros" thing is called the prosecutor's fallacy and is absolutely wrong. That does not mean that either pair is innocent but if you are going to use statistics to make a case then at least use the correct ones!
(-: Zel :-)

#516 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-18, 07:47

View PostMrAce, on 2015-September-13, 22:34, said:

View Postmgoetze, on 2015-September-13, 19:03, said:

Dude WTF... go back and read the context again. Jeff says he doesn't want to give a number. Someone asks him, "can you at least give a range? Less than 10, less than 5?" Jeff chooses "less than 5". No way in hell that means "exactly 4", sorry.

LOL

LOL right back at you, apparently "less than 5" meant "2".

Jeff Meckstroth said:

Before F-S and F-N were busted by the Sheriff and his deputies, I said less than 5 was the number of cheaters at the top level in bridge. I have no knowledge of ANY pair that is currently cheating in high level bridge. I hope i am correct in my assessment.

-- Bertrand Russell

#517 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2015-September-18, 16:05

View Postmgoetze, on 2015-September-18, 07:47, said:

LOL right back at you, apparently "less than 5" meant "2".

He did not mean 2. Read carefully "I have no knowledge of ANY pair currently cheating in high level bridge. Posted Image

But anyway, I believe Boye played his last card wrongly by getting into it with Roy unless he has some hard evidence. He either ruined name of a pair or made it impossible to find any data for future.
What is interesting is, why whispered 3rd pair is not raising hell in BW if they are indeed innocent. Especially after seeing majority of posters seems to not back up Boye on this.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#518 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-18, 22:30

View PostMrAce, on 2015-September-18, 16:05, said:

What is interesting is, why whispered 3rd pair is not raising hell in BW if they are indeed innocent. Especially after seeing majority of posters seems to not back up Boye on this.

Maybe they aren't keen to feed the trolls. So if they aren't posting, they must be hiding something huh.

#519 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2015-September-19, 00:05

My local bridge newspaper says Mike Passel is suspended from bridge and loses 25% OF HIS 80.000 masterpoints.

He admits he fouled a board, but it was an accident.

the main point being he is a cheater and found to be a cheater per this account.

I know zero of the other details.

#520 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-19, 00:31

View Postmike777, on 2015-September-19, 00:05, said:

My local bridge newspaper says Mike Passel is suspended from bridge and loses 25% OF HIS 80.000 masterpoints.

He admits he fouled a board, but it was an accident.

the main point being he is a cheater and found to be a cheater per this account.

I know zero of the other details.

There was a lot of discussion over this at BW. Mike Passell being on probation and penalized 25% of his masterpoints was announced in the last Chicago NABC bulletin. MP then posted his side of the story: http://bridgewinners...he-whole-story/

And then another announcement was made: http://bridgewinners...-breaking-news/

• 38 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users