BBO Discussion Forums: Which defence do you play to the 1NT opening and why? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Which defence do you play to the 1NT opening and why?

#21 User is offline   Dinarius 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-August-27, 05:52

View PostfromageGB, on 2015-August-27, 05:23, said:

A different system for different scoring methods, not a different system for different vulnerabilities.

Interesting point.

I find it interesting that systems that try to avoid advancer having to make enquiries at the dreaded three level aren't more popular. But, maybe I'm missing something.

A few versions of Pinpoint Astro, for example, seem to manage this. http://www.bridgeguy...nse_method.html Though I haven't played it, I like the look of Variant VI.

D.

#22 User is offline   jimmyg010 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-August-27, 06:06

Multi-Landy and penalty double against weak NT.

Multi-Landy and Woolsey double (4M-5m) against strong NT.

#23 User is offline   jodepp 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-27, 06:52

Advice from a world champion in my youth:

"play anything you want reserves 2 and 2 as natural calls"

It's worked for me

#24 User is offline   Dinarius 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-27, 08:12

If people are happy to discard Dbl in favour of a conventional meaning, would it be possible to also discard 2NT for the minors and try to avoid the three level?

Something like....

Dbl =
2 = (with a 2relay)
2 =
2 =
2 = and either or

Yes, you risk the three level with both major bids, but might Dbl be better to show the minors?

Based on my own experience, I agree that finding a fit, or generally making a nuisance of oneself is, over the long haul, going to win more matchpoints than the occasional successful double for penalties.

D.

#25 User is offline   brettnj 

• PipPip

Posted 2015-August-27, 08:46

Against a limited (i.e., a rnage with a high of no more than 15) 1NT, you should NEVER give up the penalty double.
Against a 15+ lower range NT or more, at mp's, since the frequency of having an actual penalty double (18+ or 7 tricks) is so small, most players use the double as an artificial call. Any system that permits you to show a one-suiter, and most two suiters, should work. At imps, the chance to get a "big" number may change things (and I have a partner who refuses to give up the penalty x for that reason). Nevertheless, my personal preference is the same as previously stated, although with a major 1-suiter, I like to show it immediately, as it has some pre-emptive value.

#26 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-August-27, 08:57

View PostDinarius, on 2015-August-27, 08:12, said:

Something like....

You have no call to show a major in this scheme and this is generally regarded as a very important hand type. You could take away 2 for that purpose and make the double diamonds + a rounded suit. That would certainly give you a call for all one and two suited hands, albeit with the usual caveat of not being able to differentiate lengths at all between those two suits.
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

#27 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2015-August-27, 09:01

View Postbrettnj, on 2015-August-27, 08:46, said:

Against a limited (i.e., a rnage with a high of no more than 15) 1NT, you should NEVER give up the penalty double.

Fans of Lionel and various other popular defences would disagree with you. Something to consider is that the number of hands with 11hcp opposite 11hcp is considerably greater than 16 opposite 6, so it is not necessarily the case that you get fewer penalties when not playing a penalty double. What the penalty double does provide is an upper bound on the strength of an overcall and that is certainly useful.

Happy New Year everyone!

#28 User is offline   Dinarius 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-27, 09:33

View PostZelandakh, on 2015-August-27, 08:57, said:

You have no call to show a major in this scheme and this is generally regarded as a very important hand type. You could take away 2 for that purpose and make the double diamonds + a rounded suit. That would certainly give you a call for all one and two suited hands, albeit with the usual caveat of not being able to differentiate lengths at all between those two suits.

By which I take it you mean no call to show a single-suited major, such as the 2D bid in Multi-Landy?

Yes, you're correct.

So, Dbl could be Minors, as I've stated above, OR a single suited or . Advancer, chooses his favoured Minor and now I correct to the long major. Make sense?

Also, by using Dbl for the Minors, Advancer can now use 2NT as a forward moving inquiry bid.

So, in summary.....

Dbl = Minors or long or long . If it's a Major, doubler corrects after Advancer has chosen his Minor.
2 = Majors (with 2 relay)
2 = and
2 = and
2 = and or

2NT is Advancer's inquiry bid.

D.

#29 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2015-August-27, 10:52

View PostDinarius, on 2015-August-27, 09:33, said:

Dbl = Minors or long or long . If it's a Major, doubler corrects after Advancer has chosen his Minor.
2 = and
2 = and
2 = and or

I still think you are far better off switching your "1M" and "reds" hands, so:-

Dbl = Minors; or and
2 = long or long
2 = and
2 = and or

It is not optimal, since you cannot differentiate between 5M4m and 4M5m, but this ought to be playable. Incidentally, if it is the idea of being able to stop in 2m opposite both minors that is encouraging you, I should point out that there are a few defences that include this hand type in a 2 overcall and one of these might also be of interest to you.

Happy New Year everyone!

#30 User is offline   Dinarius 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-27, 11:13

View PostZelandakh, on 2015-August-27, 10:52, said:

I still think you are far better off switching your "1M" and "reds" hands, so:-

Dbl = Minors; or and
2 = long or long
2 = and
2 = and or

It is not optimal, since you cannot differentiate between 5M4m and 4M5m, but this ought to be playable. Incidentally, if it is the idea of being able to stop in 2m opposite both minors that is encouraging you, I should point out that there are a few defences that include this hand type in a 2 overcall and one of these might also be of interest to you.

The reason I stuck with it is that unlike, say, Multi Landy, the overcaller holding a long major is guaranteed to be playing the hand. With ML, the long suit can be on the table.

Either way, I hope I'm onto something! :rolleyes:

What are those defences to which you refer?

Thanks.

D.

#31 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-27, 12:21

View Postmikeh, on 2015-August-26, 16:35, said:

Plus, and this is not based on any data, merely a suspicion, that there is a correlation, not a 100% correlation, between willingness to play complex methods over 1N and aggression, and a corresponding correlation between wanting to keep it simple and being conservative. I ask Arend not to take offence...I do not include him in my database :D And I am generally conservative, but like gadgets over their notrump (and that is actually an area where I am more on the aggressive side, I think).

I bid hyper-aggressively in competition, for what that's worth. I'm not wedded to Landy, but I haven't found anything simple enough to be playable in infrequent partnerships (which all of mine are) that I prefer.
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#32 User is offline   Dinarius 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-28, 10:17

Question: Could I play what I've outlined above, or would it have to be certified legal first?

How do these things work?

Thanks.

D.

#33 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-28, 11:04

Against weak notrumps we play front of card as if we opened a strong notrump with 4-suit transfers and double is followed by transfers, lebensohl, negative double etc.

The key to me is transfers that give you a 2nd kick at the can, I once picked up Ax, Axxxxxx, AKQx, void and transferred to hearts.

Partner passed 2! But the weak notrumper bid 3 so I bounced into the diamond slam opposite partners heart void and long diamonds, and 4 failed at the other table.

That was a back door miracle but Mikeh also plays methods against a weak notrump that almost guarantee a 2nd opportunity to bid your shapely hands.

We play the same thing against strong notrumps with a double instead showing a 1-suiter strong enough to play for penalty but only because we wanted the bid to come up for practice where we play against very few weak notrumps.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#34 User is offline   cnelsen 

• Pip
  • Interests:travel, bridge, wines

Posted 2015-August-28, 19:14

A regular partner and I have been trying "preferential treatment" with a some success.
When you elect clowns, expect a circus

#35 User is offline   BillPatch 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:income taxes, american history, energy

Posted 2015-August-28, 20:10

View PostDinarius, on 2015-August-28, 10:17, said:

Question: Could I play what I've outlined above, or would it have to be certified legal first?

How do these things work?

Thanks.

D.

Where do you wish to play? Some tournaments in BBO? Ireland? Great Britain? Elsewhere in Europe? ACBL adopted a new reg this summer so "Anything Goes," in terms of conventions over a natural no trump opening, so your convention is legal in the major North American countries and Bermuda. If you specify another location, it is likely that someone else can come back with the answer within 24 hours.

#36 User is offline   Dinarius 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-29, 03:40

I play in Ireland.

Thanks.

D.

#37 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-29, 04:45

Yeah, anything goes in Ireland as far as NT defenses go.
Wayne Somerville

#38 User is offline   kugw 

• PipPip

Posted 2015-August-29, 19:21

Has anyone tried playing Lionel?
x = spades & other 44
2C = clubs & hearts 44
2D = diamonds & hearts 44
2maj = 5 suit
2NT = minors

#39 User is offline   BillPatch 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:income taxes, american history, energy

Posted 2015-August-30, 04:19

View Postkugw, on 2015-August-29, 19:21, said:

Has anyone tried playing Lionel?
x = spades & other 44
2C = clubs & hearts 44
2D = diamonds & hearts 44
2maj = 5 suit
2NT = minors

The Granovetters play Lionel and swear by it. See their books. By the way the ACBL Bulletin review article in 2010 recommends getting into the auction over 1NT when you do not have a balanced hand. If you must overcall on 4432 hands, use DONT, Meckwell, or the method described in that article by Grue.

#40 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2015-August-30, 04:31

View PostBillPatch, on 2015-August-30, 04:19, said:

If you must overcall on 4432 hands, use DONT, Meckwell, or the method described in that article by Grue.

I would suggest using a 3-suited method if overcalling on 4432 hands. Bringing the 3-card suit into the equation gives slightly more safety.

Happy New Year everyone!

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users