Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Misplay due to poor eyesight EBU

#1 User is offline   dcrc2 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-August-25, 14:33

Declarer is a player who is known to have poor eyesight. Midway through the play in 2, RHO leads a club and declarer, seeing this as a spade, puts the A on it. This isn't a revoke - declarer is out of clubs. Declarer realises his mistake after everyone at the table looks surprised by his A play. Now declarer wants to take his A back and the TD is asked whether he is allowed to do this.

As much as we try to accommodate players with disabilities, I suspect we can't just allow declarer to take his card back. But can the card be taken back at the request of the opponents? And if so, is it appropriate for the TD to suggest this to them?

#2 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2015-August-25, 15:42

TFLB, L81C5 said:

The Director's duties and powers normally include also the following: to waive rectification for cause, in his discretion, upon the request of the non-offending side.
IMO, defenders should ask the director to allow declarer to take his card back and the director should aquiesce. If defenders don't know that they can make such a request, then the director should tell them about their option.

#3 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-25, 16:02

IMHO since it would be OBVIOUS that this was not a "blunder" but a pure case of mistaken identity there should be zero problems with merely calling the director over and allowing the "mistaken" card to be returned to dummy for a more proper play. The rules allow discretion for "expert" players to recover from such mistakes since it was "obviously" unintentional so why not make allowance for the physically infirm? BTW anyone should be able to call the director in these cases. Do not "pressure" the opps into being good/bad guys.

#4 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-25, 16:26

View Postgszes, on 2015-August-25, 16:02, said:

IMHO since it would be OBVIOUS that this was not a "blunder" but a pure case of mistaken identity there should be zero problems with merely calling the director over and allowing the "mistaken" card to be returned to dummy for a more proper play. The rules allow discretion for "expert" players to recover from such mistakes since it was "obviously" unintentional so why not make allowance for the physically infirm? BTW anyone should be able to call the director in these cases. Do not "pressure" the opps into being good/bad guys.

Which rule allows this discretion? I can't find it in the law book. As far as I can see, it's a played card, and there's no provision in law for retracting it. That said, it seems pretty mean-spirited to insist on the letter of the law in this case. As director, though, I might suggest that in future this player ask people to call out the cards as they play them (also not in the law book, but it seems a reasonable accommodation).

We had a player here who was legally blind. He could see the cards in his hand if he held them up close and had extra lighting. So he brought a desk lamp with him. He couldn't read the bidding cards on the table or handle the bidding box, or read played cards on the table, so the rest of the table would use the bidding boxes, but would also speak their calls, and would speak the cards as they played them. He had an amazing memory for the hands, so his disability didn't slow him down much. Regrettably, he passed away a few years ago, well into his 90s and still playing right up to the end.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#5 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-25, 18:57

View Postblackshoe, on 2015-August-25, 16:26, said:

Which rule allows this discretion? I can't find it in the law book. As far as I can see, it's a played card, and there's no provision in law for retracting it. That said, it seems pretty mean-spirited to insist on the letter of the law in this case. As director, though, I might suggest that in future this player ask people to call out the cards as they play them (also not in the law book, but it seems a reasonable accommodation).

We had a player here who was legally blind. He could see the cards in his hand if he held them up close and had extra lighting. So he brought a desk lamp with him. He couldn't read the bidding cards on the table or handle the bidding box, or read played cards on the table, so the rest of the table would use the bidding boxes, but would also speak their calls, and would speak the cards as they played them. He had an amazing memory for the hands, so his disability didn't slow him down much. Regrettably, he passed away a few years ago, well into his 90s and still playing right up to the end.

Not intending a hijack, but we used to have a pair with similar disability who always sat and had a really bright light on their table. I played them 2 or 3 times and every time, within minutes after leaving the table I had a splitting headache from the light. Do I have any rights here ?

In the case of that pair, the wife had the eyesight issues and the husband called everybody's cards.

#6 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-25, 22:40

View PostCyberyeti, on 2015-August-25, 18:57, said:

Do I have any rights here ?

Not, I think, in today's world. Unfortunately.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#7 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-26, 02:47

View PostCyberyeti, on 2015-August-25, 18:57, said:

Not intending a hijack, but we used to have a pair with similar disability who always sat and had a really bright light on their table. I played them 2 or 3 times and every time, within minutes after leaving the table I had a splitting headache from the light. Do I have any rights here ?

You could wear sunglasses B-)

#8 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-26, 06:55

aaand another case for four color cards.

[/dead horse]
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#9 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-26, 07:05

View Postjohnu, on 2015-August-26, 02:47, said:

You could wear sunglasses B-)

A: I don't own any
B: if I did, the chance of me taking them to a darkish bridge room would be minimal

#10 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-August-26, 08:02

View Postblackshoe, on 2015-August-25, 16:26, said:

We had a player here who was legally blind. He could see the cards in his hand if he held them up close and had extra lighting. So he brought a desk lamp with him. He couldn't read the bidding cards on the table or handle the bidding box, or read played cards on the table, so the rest of the table would use the bidding boxes, but would also speak their calls, and would speak the cards as they played them.

I've played against a number of pairs like that, including one at the NABC in Chicago 2 weeks ago. That's been the usual procedure.

While I'm sympathetic to the player in the OP, and would probably offer to let him take his card back, I think he should switch to this procedure to mitigate the problem in the first place.

#11 User is offline   par31 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-August-26, 19:38

View Postdcrc2, on 2015-August-25, 14:33, said:

As much as we try to accommodate players with disabilities, I suspect we can't just allow declarer to take his card back. But can the card be taken back at the request of the opponents? And if so, is it appropriate for the TD to suggest this to them?

I don't see any justification for allowing this. 47F2 is clear that the card cannot be withdrawn, and 81C5 is not relevant as there has been no rectification. In practice, I'd assume the players would usually just illegally allow a change of card without calling the TD. If the defenders are both concerned about following the laws and sufficiently competent to do so, they could presumably not allow the change of card then manipulate the subsequent play to produce what they consider an equitable result; I don't think this breaches 72A as their "chief" object need not be their only object.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users