• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-August-24, 00:11

With

K3
xx
AKQ109xxx
Q

In second seat, vul, I opened 4D. Before shooting me for that (and I actually defend it on some level), what should I have bid after partner responded 4NT? Should I have assumed it was Blackwood? Is 4NT ALWAYS Blackwood?

I generally interact in beginner's forum (or squat there), but I am hoping for some more diverse opinions.

Thanks,

WOMBATICA
NEVER PUT SOCKS INTO THE TOASTER

#2 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-August-24, 00:39

In my opinion, opposite a non-passed hand partner, 4m openers should be narrowly defined, such that partner should be able to place the final contract without further enquiry.

So for me, 4N would be to play.

Then your only problem comes if your 4D opener was outside the parameters of that hopefully narrow agreement.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#3 User is offline   BillPatch 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:income taxes, american history, energy

Posted 2015-August-24, 01:35

Firing squad first; comments later.

2nd position is the worst to deviate from the tried and true well defined preempts with strong offense-defense ratio(ODR).
After the execution, read the comments, and drag yourself back to the beginner-novice area. Do not post another question up
here for a week, or being shot will be the least of your worries.

As far as I can recall all the ACBL Encyclopedias and all my books on preempts define 4NT as an asking bid, either for aces or key cards.
Use whichever you normally use. Even my British preempt book agrees, so this treatment is probably common in acol land as well as ACBL land,
the opinion of the previous Briton notwithstanding.

#4 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2015-August-24, 01:41

I play a 4NT response to 4m as natural, but I have explicitly agreed this with my partner.

#5 User is offline   BillPatch 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-24, 01:57

View PostFrancesHinden, on 2015-August-24, 01:41, said:

I play a 4NT response to 4m as natural, but I have explicitly agreed this with my partner.

The question I ask is not what you play, but what do others in the acol empire play? Although another expert
British vote for natural may help Wombatica, God rest his soul.

#6 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-24, 05:20

Hello wombatica and welcome to the BBO forums. First of all, 4 is a poor choice here. Game is not at all unlikely after RHO passes and your most likely game is 3NT. Having begun with 4, 4NT is Blackwood of some form without discussion. Which form is going to depend on general agreements and some possible rebids would be 5 (one ace); 5 (2 key cards + Q, regular RKCB) or 5NT (2 key cards + Q, modified RKCB).

That 4NT in this spot would be Blackwood by default does not mean that 4NT is always Blackwood though. For an obvious example, a 4NT response to a 1NT opening is not Blackwood of any form. Over preempts, a common agreement is for 4 to be Blackwood after a 3 or 4 opening and 4 to be the ask after a 3, 3 or 3 opening. That might be something to discuss with a regular partner once you feel confident enough to add some additional complexity. At novice level, a decent, if sub-optimal, rule is that 4NT is always natural after a natural NT bid from partner and always Blackwood after partner's natural suit bid (unless this obviously makes no sense). As you progress you will encounter many more situations where you will want to use 4NT as something other than Blackwood - again, this is something to discuss with a regular partner at some point.
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

#7 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2015-August-24, 05:31

I'd take 4NT as to play without discussion. Depends a bit on who I'd play with but yes.

Same goes for:

(4m)-4NT.

1M-(4m)-4NT is trickier.

1-(4)-4NT is also tricky as 4NT is probably best used as an unspecified "slam try" (not asking for aces, just showing that you have a good 5 bid).

I agree with the others that I hate the 4 opening.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#8 User is offline   lycier 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-24, 05:58

I am wondering why you opened 4,obviously 4 should be a opening mistake,whatever non-vul or Vul at any seat.

#9 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-24, 06:01

Without discussion I would assume RKCB.

#10 User is offline   BillPatch 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-24, 10:42

View PostPhilKing, on 2015-August-24, 06:01, said:

Without discussion I would assume RKCB.

With a visitor from the novice board who only mentions Blackwood, you assume too much.

Are you from the acol empire? I am doing an informal poll.

#11 User is offline   BillPatch 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-24, 10:51

View Postlycier, on 2015-August-24, 05:58, said:

I am wondering why you opened 4,obviously 4 should be a opening mistake,whatever non-vul or Vul at any seat.

Wombatica at great risk has come from the novice board seeking enlightenment. Obviously he would not have made an obvious mistake if he had your knowledge. Enlighten him!

#12 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2015-August-24, 11:03

Ok, I';ll give it a stab as to why 4 is wrong?
Two likely contracts 3N and 6, 3N is impossible to get to now, 6 partner wont expect you to have such a good hand so will likely miss, even 5 may be missed.
In second seat one of the opponents have passed so it is a good chance this is your hand. So you may be able to buy it for a cheaper contract like 3. It is also possible partner has a major suit of their own and hand belongs in 4M.
This wouldn't be a horrible bid in 3rd seat where partner has passed so could be opponents hand.
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#13 User is offline   BillPatch 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-24, 11:18

View Postgwnn, on 2015-August-24, 05:31, said:

I'd take 4NT as to play without discussion. Depends a bit on who I'd play with but yes.

Same goes for:

(4m)-4NT.

1M-(4m)-4NT is trickier.

1-(4)-4NT is also tricky as 4NT is probably best used as an unspecified "slam try" (not asking for aces, just showing that you have a good 5 bid).

I agree with the others that I hate the 4 opening.

Sorry Dutch Acol is not part of the acol empire. Wrong Queen. So this doesn't count in my poll.
The question before us was not whether we hate the opening, but whether this obscenity deserves the death penalty for the first offense.

#14 User is offline   BillPatch 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-24, 11:43

View Poststeve2005, on 2015-August-24, 11:03, said:

Ok, I';ll give it a stab as to why 4 is wrong?
Two likely contract 3N and 6, 3N is impossible to get to now, 6 partner wont expect you to have such a good hand so will likely miss.
In second seat one of the opponents have passed so it is a good chance this is your hand. So you may be able to buy it for a cheaper contract like 3. It is also possible partner has a major suit of their own and hand belongs in 4M.
This wouldn't be a horrible bid in 3rd seat where partner has passed so could be opponents hand.

Thank you. The other questions Wombatica asked were about Blackwood, in particular the auction 4(pass)4NT. I mm polling the acol countries in particular, in case Wombatica plays acol. Wombats are not native here, I suspect they are or were native to the Empire.

#15 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-24, 12:12

View PostBillPatch, on 2015-August-24, 10:42, said:

With a visitor from the novice board who only mentions Blackwood, you assume too much.

Are you from the acol empire? I am doing an informal poll.

Sorry - it was a foolish mistake on my part. When Wombatica said, "I am hoping for some more diverse opinions", I took that to mean he/she wanted some more diverse opinions.

It is quite probable that Wombatica does not play RKCB, but if one plays on BBO or in a random club in Australia, there is a non-zero chance that they mean it as RKCB, so it behooves one to respond accordingly.

Anyway, it's probably best to leave the sarcasm to those that are still part of the Commonwealth. :P

#16 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2015-August-24, 13:40

View PostBillPatch, on 2015-August-24, 11:18, said:

Sorry Dutch Acol is not part of the acol empire. Wrong Queen. So this doesn't count in my poll.
The question before us was not whether we hate the opening, but whether this obscenity deserves the death penalty for the first offense.

Who cares about your poll?

Also, if you consider Queen Máxima somehow inferior to Elizabeth II, more power to you I guess.
      George Carlin

#17 User is offline   BillPatch 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-24, 14:42

View Postgwnn, on 2015-August-24, 13:40, said:

Who cares about your poll?

I didn't care, until about a minute ago I looked up "wombat". It is indigenous to "Oz", the giant island south of New Guinea. They play acol there. There is therefore a high chance that wombatica is aussi and plays acol. Therefore the need for updated info on acol has become more urgent. The brave wombatica was willing to face being shot in order to achieve bridge enlightenment. The least those in the British Commonwealth can do is answer the poll.

I apologize to those who find my flippant humor offensive, especially the remark about the two royal majesties. There are technical reasons that Dutch Acol has developed separately from acol in the English speaking countries, and that is the reason I rejected the Dutch entry.

#18 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2015-August-24, 14:58

Rejected the Dutch entry for what? Who cares? Am I supposed to appeal to your mercy to include my entry to your poll? For all I care, you can include my entry twice, or deduct a point for my choice, or disregard it, as long as you don't keep me informed whilst your decisions change. Who asked you about your poll? wombatica can speak for him/herself, no need for your ridiculous remarks. There's no standardized way to play 4m-p-4NT in any Acol system, with or without the Dutch in front. For your information, I think Dutch Acol is a ridiculous, dreadful, awful system, no better than Swiss, English, or Haitian Acol. We're just talking about 4D-p-4NT and you're being unpleasant for the sake of being unpleasant. I don't find any of your garbage offensive but that doesn't mean that I don't feel like it was a waste of my time to read it or reply to it.
      George Carlin

#19 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2015-August-24, 15:03

In unrelated news,
https://www.youtube....h?v=eKQOk5UlQSc
      George Carlin

#20 User is offline   tommyst 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-August-25, 01:59

As in most cases there are no "correct" answer and this case makes it even worse as very few would choose that opening bid... In topscore you might play 4nt as to play but at imps nope.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users