• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

And now?

#1 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-August-23, 12:27

mathchpoints

Choose your call, using methods of your choice.

Our methods:

So far:
The 1S over the double was natural forcing, it did not promise five.
Partner is allowed to raise the 1S to 2S on a three card holding but will use his judgment.
2D ostensibly shows six, but he has to bid something.

And now, choices at the second turn:
2H would be natural and forcing.
3D would be natural, encouraging, non-forcing
4C would be a splinter.
Pass would be a pass
These four choices seem to me to exhaust the possibilities.

But feel free to use whatever methods you would usually use.
Ken

#2 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2015-August-23, 12:33

2H. What now?
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#3 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2015-August-23, 12:35

3d
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#4 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2015-August-23, 12:37

I will hold off a bit (not long) on what happens next so as to keep the North hand a mystery.
Ken

#5 User is offline   BillPatch 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:income taxes, american history, energy

Posted 2015-August-23, 12:56

3. 2 over emphasize the hand for major contracts, NT(I have only a fifth round stopper in ), and does not limit the hand, Pity if the only thing partner cares about is a heart stopper.

#6 User is offline   StevenG 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-23, 12:57

#7 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2015-August-23, 13:29

Ok, I also went with 3D which so far has the majority vote, which partner passed. I wanted to make sure that I wasn't crazy. I'll give you the full deal.

If I were to bid 2H instead of 3D, as per KR, partner would no doubt bid 3NT. There are nine tricks on top. I imagine 3NT would have scored pretty decently (3D not so well :) ), but it does make 6D. Maybe it is not so easy to find 6D but twelve tricks are easy with spades and diamonds splitting so 5D making 6 will beat 3NT making 3.

So a follow up question: 6D is cold if diamonds are 2-1 and spades 4-3. Six diamonds, club ace, two club ruffs, two hearts, and you have the entries to set up and cash the fifth spade. Is this good enough odds to make you want to be there? If so, how do you get there? A 4C splinter would probably do it but I gather that is seen as extravagant and, since I bid 3D, I agree.

Timing could get tricky if W holds all three diamonds but 6D might well still make on a spade or club lead.
Ken

#8 User is offline   StevenG 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-23, 13:59

I come from an Acol background, so things are different, of course, but I'd expect partner to bid 3, asking for a stop, after my 3.

#9 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2015-August-23, 14:13

View PostStevenG, on 2015-August-23, 13:59, said:

I come from an Acol background, so things are different, of course, but I'd expect partner to bid 3, asking for a stop, after my 3.

There is a theory out there that, since both clubs and hearts are an issue, 3H shows a heart stop and 3NT shows a club stop. The idea being that with two suits we show the stop we have, but when we are at 3D we cannot show a club stop by bidding it. And, if no one has a heart stop, you may still be ok if neither opponent has five hearts. If responder has the spade ace and the club king, you have nine tricks after they are done with their hearts.Take out doublers might have five hearts, but usually four. I need to discuss with partner just what he does with one suiot stopped but not the other. Well, he passed. But we could think about some other choices.

I am interested in how others see this problem of getting to 3NT when we need stoppers in hearts and clubs.
Ken

#10 User is offline   akwoo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-23, 14:25

I cannot understand North's pass, unless you are playing in an extremely weak field. (If you really think no one is getting to 3N, then it might be worth just trying to make more tricks than everyone else in diamonds. But, honestly, should you be trying to win in that weak of a field?)

It is match points. 3N is worth bidding if there is a 50% chance it will make.

North has no way to explore, so it will be 50% based on the info he or she has now.

At that point in the bidding, does anyone seriously think that there is more than a 50% chance that opponents can run 5 hearts (or 4 hearts and the A) off the top?

In fact, if partner was barred from the bidding after making his or her 1 bid, I would shoot out 3N right there!

#11 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2015-August-23, 14:42

View Postakwoo, on 2015-August-23, 14:25, said:

I cannot understand North's pass, unless you are playing in an extremely weak field. (If you really think no one is getting to 3N, then it might be worth just trying to make more tricks than everyone else in diamonds. But, honestly, should you be trying to win in that weak of a field?)

It is match points. 3N is worth bidding if there is a 50% chance it will make.

North has no way to explore, so it will be 50% based on the info he or she has now.

At that point in the bidding, does anyone seriously think that there is more than a 50% chance that opponents can run 5 hearts (or 4 hearts and the A) off the top?

In fact, if partner was barred from the bidding after making his or her 1 bid, I would shoot out 3N right there!

It was not the strongest field in the world but my lho was a successful pro that I first encountered some 25 years ago so it was not the weakest field you can imagine either.

This pro is not the most easy going person in bridge and I remember an early time when he was playing with a truly hopeless client. As I watched him boiling over, trying his best (his best was not very good) to not show it, I thought to myself "This is a job I never want to have". His client of the other day was a different matter entirely.
Ken

#12 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-23, 15:45

View Postkenberg, on 2015-August-23, 13:29, said:

Ok, I also went with 3D which so far has the majority vote, which partner passed. I wanted to make sure that I wasn't crazy. I'll give you the full deal.

If I were to bid 2H instead of 3D, as per KR, partner would no doubt bid 3NT. There are nine tricks on top. I imagine 3NT would have scored pretty decently (3D not so well :) ), but it does make 6D. Maybe it is not so easy to find 6D but twelve tricks are easy with spades and diamonds splitting so 5D making 6 will beat 3NT making 3.

So a follow up question: 6D is cold if diamonds are 2-1 and spades 4-3. Six diamonds, club ace, two club ruffs, two hearts, and you have the entries to set up and cash the fifth spade. Is this good enough odds to make you want to be there? If so, how do you get there? A 4C splinter would probably do it but I gather that is seen as extravagant and, since I bid 3D, I agree.

Timing could get tricky if W holds all three diamonds but 6D might well still make on a spade or club lead.

Diagnosing the problem is important. wrong diagnose leads to wrong solutions.

North should have rebid 3, not 2. I would have rebid 3 NT had my diamonds been 7 cards.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#13 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2015-August-23, 15:54

View PostMrAce, on 2015-August-23, 15:45, said:

Diagnosing the problem is important. wrong diagnose leads to wrong solutions.

North should have rebid 3, not 2. I would have rebid 3 NT had my diamonds been 7 cards.

After which?: 3H-3NT-4D ( a slam try with a heart control) or maybe 3H-3NT-3C? After 3H-3NT I assume that any pull is a slam try but I also need to be clear that it's a slam try in diamonds. As we play, raising 3D to 4D is not ace asking, it just sets trump. but the two stiffs are a big deal in being able to take twelve tricks on our combined 23 count.
Ken

#14 User is offline   BillPatch 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-23, 20:00

If I were opener I would rebid 3 if my lho had not made the TO double. The double makes me suspect he has major values, so I still discount the Q and just bid 2. The next round I would bid 3NT WTP? The TO double suggests 4 or less frequently 3 so they usually can run at most 4 hearts. 9 tricks in NT look as easy as 11 in diamonds. Would expect very few bidders to find the diamond slam. CTC scores 10 6, 10 5, 6 3NT, 1 partials. ATB 100% opener for final pass.

#15 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2015-August-23, 23:51

View PostBillPatch, on 2015-August-23, 20:00, said:

If I were opener I would rebid 3 if my lho had not made the TO double. The double makes me suspect he has major values, so I still discount the Q and just bid 2. The next round I would bid 3NT WTP? The TO double suggests 4 or less frequently 3 so they usually can run at most 4 hearts. 9 tricks in NT look as easy as 11 in diamonds. Would expect very few bidders to find the diamond slam. CTC scores 10 6, 10 5, 6 3NT, 1 partials. ATB 100% opener for final pass.

How could I disagree more. This hand is even much better for 3 NT when LHO doubled and pd bid 1 freely. Your worry should be suit however LHO did not bid 1, he doubled. RHO did not bid 2. At worst, even if your pd has xx the odds are that they are split 4-4 is extremely high. Never EVER trash the whole value if a single honor. You would be amazed about the capabilities of singleton honors in your hand that opponents bid and I listed that in the past. For example just look at all 4 hands. That stiff Q disables them from cashing their 4 winners in spade suit.

But even if you trash totally the value of stiff Q, I would still bid 3. After this post of yours, I decided to check the value of the hand in KnR with and without the spade Queen.

With the stiff Queen =17.55
Without the queen=17.35
Posted Image
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#16 User is offline   BillPatch 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-24, 02:12

View PostMrAce, on 2015-August-23, 23:51, said:

How could I disagree more. This hand is even much better for 3 NT when LHO doubled and pd bid 1 freely. Your worry should be suit however LHO did not bid 1, he doubled. RHO did not bid 2. At worst, even if your pd has xx the odds are that they are split 4-4 is extremely high. Never EVER trash the whole value if a single honor. You would be amazed about the capabilities of singleton honors in your hand that opponents bid and I listed that in the past. For example just look at all 4 hands. That stiff Q disables them from cashing their 4 winners in spade suit.

But even if you trash totally the value of stiff Q, I would still bid 3. After this post of yours, I decided to check the value of the hand in KnR with and without the spade Queen.

With the stiff Queen =17.55
Without the queen=17.35
Posted Image

One fifth of a point is the proper value for that stiff Q, both before and after one round of bidding.
Your other arguments have convinced me of the superiority of the 3opener's rebid, with or without said Q. You have won a convert,

Still, after responder's rebid of 3 hearts at match points, I see no normal alterative to continuing 3NT, which responder should accept as a final contract, so we will still end up barely above average.

#17 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2015-August-24, 02:30

View PostBillPatch, on 2015-August-24, 02:12, said:

One fifth of a point is the proper value for that stiff Q, both before and after one round of bidding.
Your other arguments have convinced me of the superiority of the 3opener's rebid, with or without said Q. You have won a convert,

Still, after responder's rebid of 3 hearts at match points, I see no normal alterative to continuing 3NT, which responder should accept as a final contract, so we will still end up barely above average.

Oh I was not suggesting that we should find the slam. I agree with you that it is tough slam to find. As a matter of fact, until Kenberg replied to me I did not even check what the best contract was. But I think with this hand we should at least reach to game.

#18 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2015-August-24, 03:15

View PostMrAce, on 2015-August-24, 02:30, said:

Oh I was not suggesting that we should find the slam. I agree with you that it is tough slam to find. As a matter of fact, until Kenberg replied to me I did not even check what the best contract was. But I think with this hand we should at least reach to game.

And game should have been reached with the auction as it was, N seems to have taken a stupidly pessimistic view of his hand "15 points with a stiff Q, better pass 3" rather than thinking 7 tricks. While I don't like the suit quality, I'd have kicked off with 2 over the double showing for us any 5/4 and maybe 4+ points at this vul (ours is a 4+ card diamond). I'd also have rebid 3 with the N hand.

I think 3 over 3 should be stop asking and that's what I'd bid.

#19 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2015-August-24, 04:59

FWIW, a good rule of thumb seems to be to select the forcing bid among options when you are uncertain as to how good your hand is. This hand turns out to have four covers in diamonds. It is not strong enough for a splinter. Bidding out pattern with a forcing 2H enables flexibility without commitment.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#20 User is offline   lycier 

Posted 2015-August-24, 05:26

If 3 can be regarded as a forcing raise and only forcing a round, many confusions will no longer be a problem.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users