• You cannot reply to this topic

Doubles over 4 Hearts

#1 User is offline   sheilafran 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-August-22, 07:07

Please can you help with the two following situations playing teams of four

1. The bidding goes 1h p 4h X... is this double for takeout or for penalty

2. the bidding goes 1h p 2h X 4h p p X.. is this double for takeout or for penalty

Thanks

#2 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-August-22, 09:06

In my partnership these doubles are both takeout BUT partner will strain to leave them in unless they have ambitions of making what they bid.

The opponents have a fit, often a large one but a double at that level has extra strength so something like 6-4 distribution opposite with not many values can pull it and a flat hand should pass.

When it's passed out and they make it the loss rates to be 5 imps (-590 vs -420) which is an acceptable cost of doing business for us against the many times we have landed on our feet.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#3 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-22, 10:27

Yes I agree with this.

Note that on the first auction the bidding has reached a high level very quickly, so a double will need to cover a large variety of strong hands - so it may not have a classic take-out double shape.

The second hand is slightly different. The first double is a take-out double of two hearts. It will usually guarantee at least three cards in each unbid suit and shortage in hearts. It may not be particularly strong. The second double shows extra strength - but the shape hasn't changed(!). When responding it is reasonable to assume that partner has at least three-card support. But, again the most common action will be to pass for penalties.

#4 User is offline   apollo1201 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-22, 10:57

I think previous posters expressed it right. It is a "transformable" TOX (some call it optional) made with at least a (very) sound TOX with defensive values, partner is expected to leave it with a flattish hand (thinking the combined defensive values will set 4H), or pull with shape or adequate strenght (to make). A typical hand:
AQxx
x
KQJx
Axxx

Even if you catch partner with a flat hand with 0 HCP, 4H could fail. If you catch him with
JTxxx
xx
xx
Kxxx
4S is odds on.

This post has been edited by apollo1201: 2015-August-23, 03:03

#5 User is offline   BillPatch 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:income taxes, american history, energy

Posted 2015-August-22, 16:45

View Postapollo1201, on 2015-August-22, 10:57, said:

I think previous posters expressed it right. It is a "transformable" TOX (some call it optional) made with at least a (very) sound TOX with defensive values, partner is expected to leave it with a flattish hand (thinking the combined defensive values will set 4H), or pull with shape or adequate strenght (to make). A typical hand:
AQxx
x
KQJx
Axxx

Even if you catch partner with a flat hand with 0 HCP, 4H could fail. If you catch him with
JTxxx
xx
xx
Kxxxx
4S is odds on.

Game may be odds on declaring that hand, but it has 14 cards, and the opponent with 12 cards might notice in time. I would upvote the rest of your post,

#6 User is offline   apollo1201 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-23, 03:05

View PostBillPatch, on 2015-August-22, 16:45, said:

Game may be odds on declaring that hand, but it has 14 cards, and the opponent with 12 cards might notice in time. I would upvote the rest of your post,

Thanks again for spotting (edited). I think I will (i) re-read more carefully all my posts before posting and (ii) submit them to you 1st just in case ;).

#7 User is offline   BillPatch 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-23, 11:43

View Postapollo1201, on 2015-August-23, 03:05, said:

Thanks again for spotting (edited). I think I will (i) re-read more carefully all my posts before posting and (ii) submit them to you 1st just in case ;).

I know my partners think I need more practice counting to 13, but this is ridiculous! Now both hands posted have 14 cards.

#8 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-23, 13:52

View PostBillPatch, on 2015-August-23, 11:43, said:

I know my partners think I need more practice counting to 13, but this is ridiculous! Now both hands posted have 14 cards.

Take off one of your shoes and yes, you do :)

#9 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-23, 15:47

View Postsheilafran, on 2015-August-22, 07:07, said:

Please can you help with the two following situations playing teams of four

1. The bidding goes 1h p 4h X... is this double for takeout or for penalty

2. the bidding goes 1h p 2h X 4h p p X.. is this double for takeout or for penalty

Thanks

When they bid and raise, especially when they raise heavily, ALL doubles are take out/negative or card showing. Basically anything but penalty. That does not mean pd can not convert it to penalty, if he thinks sitting on double is more beneficial and/or less risky decision for us.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#10 User is offline   BillPatch 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-24, 03:28

View Postggwhiz, on 2015-August-23, 13:52, said:

Take off one of your shoes and yes, you do :)

Thank you for your continued support. Counting to thirteen cards is one of the most important exercises in the upper levels of play or defense. But I prefer the counting tool on the Bridgeinners site to your method of fingers and toes.

My problem is I feel like a failure as a bridge teacher when I specify that one hand is wrong with 14 cards and the student goes to another hand and adds a fourteenth card.

#11 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-24, 11:04

View PostBillPatch, on 2015-August-24, 03:28, said:

Thank you for your continued support. Counting to thirteen cards is one of the most important exercises in the upper levels of play or defense. But I prefer the counting tool on the Bridgeinners site to your method of fingers and toes.

My problem is I feel like a failure as a bridge teacher when I specify that one hand is wrong with 14 cards and the student goes to another hand and adds a fourteenth card.

Just pulling your leg :)

#12 User is offline   BillPatch 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-26, 11:56

View Postggwhiz, on 2015-August-24, 11:04, said:

Just pulling your leg :)

And I was just playing the straight man. :rolleyes:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic