Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Law 12 in the ACBL

#1 User is offline   Siegmund 

• Alchemist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Creator of the 'grbbridge' LaTeX typesetting package.

Posted 2015-August-21, 00:32

This week I received my thrice-annual report from my district director.

I was surprised to see it say that a motion to change the ACBL's Law 12 election -- follow the rest of world in adopting weighted scores instead of "likely / at all probable" -- had passed 25-0 and was due to take effect next January.

I couldn't tell at first glance if it was an item that required a second reading in Denver or not... but whether it does or not, I was startled that the proposal wasn't attracting any discussion here or on BW. (Nor has it after it passed, apparently.)

I appreciate the value of having the rules be the same everywhere - but confess I will be very sad to see L12 change. When I very first read the laws and became a club director 20 years ago, I remember thinking that rule was a beautiful encapsulation of the spirit of the whole book, as close to a perfect law as there could be.

#2 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-August-21, 13:36

The Mike Passell affair has gotten everyone on BW going crazy about cheating-related issues, so they apparently didn't notice this.

#3 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-August-21, 19:24

View Postbarmar, on 2015-August-21, 13:36, said:

The Mike Passell affair has gotten everyone on BW going crazy about cheating-related issues, so they apparently didn't notice this.

I have not checked this out but as for weighted rulings they are more realistic and fair. I received one tonight.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users