#1 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2015-August-19, 11:10

Needing a flight C NAP qualifier, I wandered into the MIT bridge club last night.
Here's an interesting hand that cropped up:

West
S T932
H AK5
D K64
C KT3

East
S AK876
H 93
D 983
C A96

You arrive in a challenging 4S contract after the following uncontested auction

1S - 2NT
4S

2NT was Jacoby.
4S shows a balanced minimum

First, note that there was no Michael's cue bid by South. If there were such a cue, declarer can get the spades right and life becomes a lot easier.

The opening lead was the 8 of Hearts, won with the Ace. I lead the 10 of Spades from dummy. There was a slight hitch. Even so I jumped with the Ace and cashed a second top spade to discover that RHO started with QJx.

Next began a long series of exclusions and thrown in.

I cashed a top Heart, Ruffed a heart, and exited a spade, forcing RHO to break Clubs or Diamonds. RHO wisely decided to exit a diamond, so I cashed the King and exited with a diamond. LHO cashed two diamonds and then excited a club.

I ducked in dummy, RHO rose with the Jack, won by my Ace. I now had a finesse available against LHO's Queen of clubs.

Fun hand (And I believe the same even after RHO showed up with the Jack and low of clubs, setting me by 1.
Alderaan delenda est

#2 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-August-20, 01:09

Just out of interest, how would you have played if LHO had exited with the Q of Clubs at trick 10? I suppose you could get it right based on his failure to lead it at trick 1.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users