BBO Discussion Forums: An Extra Chance? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1

An Extra Chance?

#1 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2015-August-19, 09:09

Sorry for no diagram my laptop is on the brink: anyway it's imps (not the it really matters) and the bidding has gone unapposed 1s 4s all pass

*this isn't the bidding we had, nor the defence, nor is it an accurate record of the hand but I think it's a good theme for NB

Dummy

xxxx
Axx
Qxxx
AJ

Declarer

AQJxx
JTX
Axx
xx

opening leader leads the King of hearts which you decide to duck and helpfully he continues with the Queen of hearts which you win with the ace. you play a small trump from dummy and insert the J which~Holds. Next you cross to the ace of clubs and lead another trump on which rho plays low, you insert the queen and lho discards. Next we draw the last trump. Clearly we've already lost a heart trick and have to lose a club trick so we can't lose 2 diamond tricks. Do we just play ace of diamonds and a diamond to the queen and hope for the best, or is there a potential layout that gives us a better chance?
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#2 User is offline   Liversidge 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Gardening, DIY, Travel

Posted 2015-August-19, 11:14

I am a NB so not sure if I have worked this out right, but if I exhaust my hearts and clubs, pitching the opps in with my last club, then if they play a club or heart I can ruff and discard a losing diamond, and if either opponent wins the club and leads a diamond I think I make two diamond tricks (is it a frozen suit?) I have probably missed a trick! ;)

#3 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2015-August-19, 11:29

great analysis!

Spoiler

"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#4 User is offline   kuhchung 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-August-19, 15:58

There are still chances even if the wrong person wins the club and puts a diamond through!
Videos of the worst bridge player ever playing bridge:
https://www.youtube....hungPlaysBridge

#5 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2015-August-19, 22:00

Liversidge

Good analysis for a NB.

The spoiler just adds some detail to the line you propose.

Spoiler

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users