• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Defensive problem What do you play at trick 2

#1 User is offline   cRi cRi 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-August-19, 03:19

Hello Everyone.

I would like to ask you guys what is the correct play at trick 2 on that board. Playing matchpoint, you hold :
K83
AJ2

Lefty opens 1NT(15 -17) and gets to play there.

Your partner leads the 3 (4th best) and dummy comes with

A1098
J97
Q976

Dummy plays low, you play the Jack and declarer plays the 8.

What now ?

#2 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-August-19, 05:26

Call the TD, because partner's played twice to the same trick.

On a more serious note I would probably go for a small diamond. I'm not confident of beating the contract but if partner has say Q10xx then we might hold it to just made (2D, 3C and partner has something else).

ahydra

#3 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-August-19, 06:01

View Postahydra, on 2015-August-19, 05:26, said:

On a more serious note I would probably go for a small diamond. I'm not confident of beating the contract but if partner has say Q10xx then we might hold it to just made (2D, 3C and partner has something else).

With Q10xx I think he'd have led a diamond, not a club. Also you'd need it to be Q105x, and you'd have to switch to 8.

K10xx or Kxxx in a minor is an unattractive lead against 1NT. It seems likely that parter is 3334 and declarer is 2452, in which case a diamond switch will just help declarer.

It looks a bit odd, but I'd switch to a spade. That doesn't do anything for declarer than he couldn't do for himself, and it will set up a trick if partner has QJx or KJx. I'm not that worried about setting up spade tricks in dummy, because with Kx declarer has no quick entry to dummy, and with Qx he probably won't want to risk ducking the king and then taking a finesse.

... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#4 User is offline   cRi cRi 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-August-19, 16:07

View Postgnasher, on 2015-August-19, 06:01, said:

With Q10xx I think he'd have led a diamond, not a club. Also you'd need it to be Q105x, and you'd have to switch to 8.

K10xx or Kxxx in a minor is an unattractive lead against 1NT. It seems likely that parter is 3334 and declarer is 2452, in which case a diamond switch will just help declarer.

It looks a bit odd, but I'd switch to a spade. That doesn't do anything for declarer than he couldn't do for himself, and it will set up a trick if partner has QJx or KJx. I'm not that worried about setting up spade tricks in dummy, because with Kx declarer has no quick entry to dummy, and with Qx he probably won't want to risk ducking the king and then taking a finesse.

What are the reasons why leading Q10xx is better than Kxxx against 1NT ? (Playing matchpoint if that's relevant regarding the lead in this case)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users