BBO Discussion Forums: Opp makes obvious unsportsman-like bid - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Opp makes obvious unsportsman-like bid Can non-offender accept Undo?

#1 User is offline   lordc 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Scrabble, most sports

Posted 2015-August-18, 22:46

Tonight our opps bid to 6s, going down 2. My lho (after I had opened the bidding with my 17-count) at his first turn bids 7NT, then leaves.
I called director, she subbed for the 7NT bidder, then asked me if I wanted to accept an Undo.

I was completely unaware that I actually had that option.

I told td I wanted actual result, which would have been 7NTx -4 or -5.

I was told by the TD I was 'childish' for not accepting the undo, forcing the sub to sustain an awful score.

When the scores came up after the round, I saw we were given an adjustment of -3, which completely shocked me. We were being punished, even though the opp was the guilty party. I was told that if I didn't like the ruling then please don't play there any more.

There is a specific rule that says "NO UNDOs", so I didn't know I could accept it.

What gives?

#2 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-August-19, 00:17

In some circles the act of insisting that the bid stands might be construed as only marginally less unsportsmanlike than the bid itself.

I don't expect that TD is bound by the no undo rule. Would need a good reason but I reckon this qualifies. But it does seem odd that she would offer a choice and then adjust.

I am curious to know what you think would have happened in a face to face tourney? Possibly ultra vires but had I been TD I would have ruled that the 7N bid had not been made, given his clear intention at the time not to honour it. So I would wind it back and effectively force the undo.

Does this thread not belong in the laws subforum? Or if not that then tournament discussion?
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#3 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-19, 03:28

Clearly you should accept the undo, otherwise no one will ever sub in these circumstances, and the partner of the 7NT bidder will also potentially leave.

And this is in the right forum, since the laws of bridge do not necessarily apply to BBO tournies.

#4 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-August-19, 09:27

View Postlordc, on 2015-August-18, 22:46, said:

There is a specific rule that says "NO UNDOs", so I didn't know I could accept it.

What gives?

What you see written in some tourney descriptions and rules as "No Undo" is not just a rule, it's a setting. In some tournaments the undo button is active, and in some it is not. Since the TD asked you to accept undo the button was clearly active so you weren't breaking any rule by accepting as prompted by the TD.

While it is true that you don't *have to* accept undo, especially when you suspect it wasn't an honest misclick, under the circumstances accepting the undo and playing out the board would have been the ethical thing to do. The offender had left the building, there were only 3 "victims" left at the table.

#5 User is offline   lordc 

• PipPip

Posted 2015-August-19, 14:08

At the time the TD was asking if i wanted to accept the Undo, I was unaware that I was the one being given the choice. I simply ignored it, thinking this choice was being offered to the new sub.

I didn't even realize I was refusing the Undo by remaining silent.

Thus you can see why I was floored by the -3 adjustment.

#6 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-August-19, 14:36

View Postlordc, on 2015-August-19, 14:08, said:

At the time the TD was asking if i wanted to accept the Undo, I was unaware that I was the one being given the choice. I simply ignored it, thinking this choice was being offered to the new sub.

I didn't even realize I was refusing the Undo by remaining silent.

Thus you can see why I was floored by the -3 adjustment.

Yep all clear now. For some reason TD thought you wanted the table result and you refused undo so s/he adjusted against you. Kinda odd that they got that idea when you didn't even realize they were talking to you.

On a more serious note, it's OK to ask this question. It's also understandable that you fell in love with a free gift and refused to let it go. But if you find that wasn't ethical and you don't like the answer don't try to turn it around :) Just know better next time (hopefully there won't be a next time, but just saying).

Edit: I saw this was a free tourney and you probably also play ACBLs - where undo is never an option. So yeah, to clarify how this works: In some tourneys, or in team matches or when playing in Main Club, when one player asks for an undo there's a little pop-up on screen saying "Blah is asking for an UNDO. Accept? YES/NO" so you can click the YES button to accept it. Or, if no such request appeared on your screen (ie, one of your opps asking for an undo) you could have clicked the UNDO button yourself to allow the bidding to get back to whatever it was before the 7NT bid was made. Looks like the TD didn't realize you truly don't know how to ask for an undo or how to accept an undo. If that was the case, sorry for the harsh reply above. The main point still stands, it's not sportsmanship to take advantage of some madman's spite bid and ruin the scores for everyone.

This post has been edited by diana_eva: 2015-August-19, 15:57

#7 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2015-August-19, 16:16

Ive had something very similar to me and the TD adj board to AVG+/AVG=. there were no undos in this tournament.
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#8 User is offline   lordc 

• PipPip

Posted 2015-August-31, 22:25

View Poststeve2005, on 2015-August-19, 16:16, said:

Ive had something very similar to me and the TD adj board to AVG+/AVG=. there were no undos in this tournament.

This TD gave us an AV- (-3 IMPs), much to my surprise.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users