#1 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2015-August-18, 13:44

imp pairs

thanks

Eagles
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#2 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-18, 13:56

Tricky. Only north could do more, but what? Certainly south must hold two aces for the takeout double, but three are not certain. The stiff club (or void) is clear, but the 5th heart is not.

Oh well, I don't know a definite bid for this. Rub of the green, next hand.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#3 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-18, 14:21

View Postbillw55, on 2015-August-18, 13:56, said:

Tricky. Only north could do more, but what? Certainly south must hold two aces for the takeout double, but three are not certain. The stiff club (or void) is clear, but the 5th heart is not.

Oh well, I don't know a definite bid for this. Rub of the green, next hand.

5 instead of 4 ? natural invite, not sure if I'd find it at the table.

#4 User is offline   lycier 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-24, 06:15

cuebid 5,I will strongly suggest partner to probe for a major slam.

#5 User is offline   BillPatch 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:income taxes, american history, energy

Posted 2015-August-24, 08:12

View Postlycier, on 2015-August-24, 06:15, said:

cuebid 5,I will strongly suggest partner to probe for a major slam.

Who cuebids? After what other bids?

#6 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-24, 08:31

View PostBillPatch, on 2015-August-24, 08:12, said:

Who cuebids? After what other bids?

I'm only guessing, but here goes:

1. North.

2. South makes a bid that does not involve passing a cue bid.

#7 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-24, 11:02

If our clubs were xxxx vs Kxxx would we see this hand differently? I am looking for the best route to consider SEVEN not overly concerned with 6. P has made a tox of 3c what kind of junk are we imagining this happening with? I rate p to have a club void else opps have been VERY clever in preempting to the 4 level on 8 card fit. Even so it is only the tiniest of targets where 6h will have little to no play. IMHO north even thinking about bidding only 4h is an automatic 2 point deduction since it shows little to no partnership trust for the TOX.

I would start with 5c to show my slam interest and over the expected 5 d/h/s bid 6h and if p cannot find 7h with 3 aces 5 hearts and a club void THEY suffer a 2 point deduction for not trusting YOUR bidding. A more interesting scenario develops if p now bids 6c (over my 5c) and I jump to 7h.

This entire idea exists because it is very difficult to imagine losers opposite even the weakest of TOX with our current hand. Switch even 1 club to a pointed suit and I will be inviting slam (via the same 5c) vs always bidding slam:)

#8 User is offline   KurtGodel 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-24, 11:22

What can you do with such a talented and handsome player sitting West?
Jokes aside, I might have tried 5 with the North hand. You did get kind of fixed by us on this board though.

#9 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-24, 13:03

I can't see myself finding slam here. With N's C length, it's clear South has shortage, which means his hand can be quite weak. Swap South's red suits and he still has his call, IMO, but now even the five level looks dangerous.
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#10 User is offline   BillPatch 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:income taxes, american history, energy

Posted 2015-August-24, 13:42

View Postgszes, on 2015-August-24, 11:02, said:

If our clubs were xxxx vs Kxxx would we see this hand differently? I am looking for the best route to consider SEVEN not overly concerned with 6. P has made a tox of 3c what kind of junk are we imagining this happening with? I rate p to have a club void else opps have been VERY clever in preempting to the 4 level on 8 card fit. Even so it is only the tiniest of targets where 6h will have little to no play. IMHO north even thinking about bidding only 4h is an automatic 2 point deduction since it shows little to no partnership trust for the TOX.

I would start with 5c to show my slam interest and over the expected 5 d/h/s bid 6h and if p cannot find 7h with 3 aces 5 hearts and a club void THEY suffer a 2 point deduction for not trusting YOUR bidding. A more interesting scenario develops if p now bids 6c (over my 5c) and I jump to 7h.

This entire idea exists because it is very difficult to imagine losers opposite even the weakest of TOX with our current hand. Switch even 1 club to a pointed suit and I will be inviting slam (via the same 5c) vs always bidding slam:)

Sorry, at this vulnerability I expect the club loser and only go to the 5 level in hearts over the TO Double to try for slam. Perhaps the wild preemptors in Europe play "Colors are for children." Present company presumably excepted. Here the preemptors are usually crazy only at green (NV vs V). (I have not seen the preempting hands, so I can't judge whether it's luck or skill.) Also 3 clubs is quite lower than 3 of a major, a TO double can promise less, particularly with club shortness. Grand slam is not in the picture.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users