• You cannot reply to this topic

2 fourth seat openers or not?

#21 User is offline   BillPatch 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:income taxes, american history, energy

Posted 2015-August-19, 10:35

View Postrhm, on 2015-August-19, 05:14, said:

This has nothing to do with the question whether we open light or sound.
No successful matchpoint player would pass these hands in any seat.

Rainer Herrmann

The current group of expert seniors over 65 contains many conservative sound opening bidders who remember the success of Roth-Stone derived methods probably include at least a few who continue to play matchpoints successfully, though now the team trials are open many of the top seniors compete in the main team trials, and if they ail to make that team, the senior team trials. Much of the rest of the year they concentrate on teams to improve their chances in these events. The great success of the ACBL in promoting the swiss team games, KO's and mini-KO's provides more master points to the next echelon of seniors than the less well attended pair games.

#22 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2015-August-19, 12:20

View PostBillPatch, on 2015-August-19, 10:35, said:

The current group of expert seniors over 65 contains many conservative sound opening bidders who remember the success of Roth-Stone derived methods probably include at least a few who continue to play matchpoints successfully, though now the team trials are open many of the top seniors compete in the main team trials, and if they ail to make that team, the senior team trials. Much of the rest of the year they concentrate on teams to improve their chances in these events. The great success of the ACBL in promoting the swiss team games, KO's and mini-KO's provides more master points to the next echelon of seniors than the less well attended pair games.

Well, I am not over 65...not for a few years anyway. But I was an imp player far more than I ever pretended to be a matchpoint player, and I am prepared to admit that I may be wrong, in terms of mp strategy, on the second hand, but not on the 1st.....and even there my difficulty is that I would expect partner to bid far too often when I hold 9 hcp in 4th chair, and he'll bid on the assumption that I hold a better hand....thus turning a pass out into a minus too often for me. If partner would cater to this hand, then I would open 2 (at imps as well), but my partners wouldn't.

Oh...I was never, ever a Roth-Stone player....that method was already way past its limited popularity when I began to play, in 1973.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#23 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-19, 12:52

Open both too good a tactical position both hands to consider passing especially at MP. IMPS could consider passing since not much to gain overall and some small risk of large loss but that is not a real problem at MP where a bunch of small wins slaughters the occasional large loss. BTW opening both at 1 lvl can survive virtually any bidding sequence unscathed.

#24 User is offline   BillPatch 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:income taxes, american history, energy

Posted 2015-August-19, 16:08

Deleted. Reading error. misread 1 lvl as 1 M. Apologies to gezes. I like your post.

#25 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-19, 17:05

View Postmikeh, on 2015-August-19, 12:20, said:

Well, I am not over 65...not for a few years anyway.

Mike is my hero!
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#26 User is offline   beatrix45 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Rubber bridge for money

Posted 2015-August-19, 23:51

To me it really depends on the the calibre of the opposition. Against better, I pass both. Otherwise, I open #2. Opening #1 seems too cheeky for me even against lesser sorts. You figure to get at least average against them at least.
Trixi

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users