BBO Discussion Forums: What does this mean without discussion? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What does this mean without discussion?

#1 User is offline   lmilne 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-August-18, 05:27

Not a bidding or play problem this time, but rather a more general question.

(A) What would you think partner was doing, if you were in a pick-up expert partnership? (what's "standard"?)

(B) What would you prefer to play this 4 bid as, with your regular partner?

#2 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-August-18, 05:44

I'd guess he has hearts and clubs, not strong enough to make a "big hand" takeout X - maybe x AKxxx Qx AQxxx or similar.

ahydra

#3 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-18, 08:09

Flexible takeout shape. Something like 1534 with values to pot game obv.

#4 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-18, 10:12

This is quite a frequent and important auction, and I have quite a few instances of it in my multi files.

My answer to this one is that it should not exist. A savvy West can (and sometimes will) make a psychic pass of 3. It's not so likely at these colours but is a huge danger when we are at red.

To protect ourselves, I think it is necessary to play a two way double over 3 showing a takeout double of EITHER major (I also favour 2-way doubles in all the parallel sequences (2D-X-2M-X 2D-X-3M-X and 2X-p-2M-X). Opener now can't screw with us - he has to reveal whether he has hearts or spades. The next double from either side should also be for takeout.

Make the auction exactly the same, but with us doubling twice, then I agree it shows a strong flexi hand with exactly five hearts and short spades. And without discussion I would have the same interpretation of the actual auction, but we all know what happens when people don't know what they are doing against a multi. The agreement is pretty simple - two-way double of all pass/correct bids.

#5 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-18, 10:52

Without discussion it is clear that this is a flexible double. 2533 or something like.

#6 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2015-August-18, 15:46

What PhilKing said

#7 User is offline   kuhchung 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-18, 15:58

omg I am so glad multi is banned in the states!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Videos of the worst bridge player ever playing bridge:
https://www.youtube....hungPlaysBridge

#8 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-18, 18:45

I still remember a hand years ago when an opponent played "2-way doubles" and the auction went 2D-P-2S-X with the doubler having a singleton spade. Unfortunately, so did her partner. But hearts and clubs is the normal meaning here.
Wayne Somerville

#9 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-18, 19:08

We play doubles of P/C bids as takeout or penalty. I think that this is essentially the same as what Phil King said.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#10 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2015-August-19, 02:00

View PostVampyr, on 2015-August-18, 19:08, said:

We play doubles of P/C bids as takeout or penalty. I think that this is essentially the same as what Phil King said.

There are two ways to play two-way doubles:
- Double is a takeout double of one of the majors.
- Double is a takeout double of the bid suit, or an overcall in the bid suit.

Phil plays the first. It sounds as though you play the second.

I think both methods have merit.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#11 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-19, 03:21

#12 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-19, 03:22

View Postmanudude03, on 2015-August-18, 18:45, said:

I still remember a hand years ago when an opponent played "2-way doubles" and the auction went 2D-P-2S-X with the doubler having a singleton spade. Unfortunately, so did her partner. But hearts and clubs is the normal meaning here.

The recommendation is two-way doubles - not two-way passes of the double! :o :ph34r:

#13 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-24, 08:01

View PostPhilKing, on 2015-August-18, 10:12, said:

This is quite a frequent and important auction, and I have quite a few instances of it in my multi files.

My answer to this one is that it should not exist. A savvy West can (and sometimes will) make a psychic pass of 3. It's not so likely at these colours but is a huge danger when we are at red.

To protect ourselves, I think it is necessary to play a two way double over 3 showing a takeout double of EITHER major (I also favour 2-way doubles in all the parallel sequences (2D-X-2M-X 2D-X-3M-X and 2X-p-2M-X). Opener now can't screw with us - he has to reveal whether he has hearts or spades. The next double from either side should also be for takeout.

Make the auction exactly the same, but with us doubling twice, then I agree it shows a strong flexi hand with exactly five hearts and short spades. And without discussion I would have the same interpretation of the actual auction, but we all know what happens when people don't know what they are doing against a multi. The agreement is pretty simple - two-way double of all pass/correct bids.

View PostFrancesHinden, on 2015-August-18, 15:46, said:

What PhilKing said

Bidding starts:

(2) - Pass - (2) - DBL*
Pass - ???

* = Philking's new two-way brainchild.

Now I see choices an advancer to Philking's DBL may face:

Either
1) DBL is takeout of spades and both 4 for advancer and 2 for the opponents are on
or
2) DBL is takeout of hearts and both 2 doubled and 4 doubled go for a telephone number.

This is not an unlikely scenario. The relative major suit lengths of responder to multi are virtually unknown.
Tell me how poor advancer to the DBL is supposed to react?
The above sequence is an everyday multi sequence and frankly I do not see how advancer can react sensibly holding the other major after the two way DBL.

Clever oppenents might throw a spanner: For example by not preempting and reveal a fit with the multi opener.
You may well get to play doubled at a low level when advancer and takeout doubler are short in the same major.

Rainer Herrmann

#14 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-24, 08:19

View Postrhm, on 2015-August-24, 08:01, said:

Bidding starts with a common everyday multi sequence, which will get even more frequent when employing our new two-way DBL:

(2) - Pass - (2) - DBL*
Pass - ???

* = Philking's new two-way brainchild.

Now I see choices an advancer to Philking's DBL may face:

Either
1) DBL is takeout of spades and both 4 for advancer and 2 for the opponents are on
or
2) DBL is takeout of hearts and both 2 doubled and 4 doubled go for a telephone number.

This is not an unlikely scenario. The relative major suit lengths of responder to multi are virtually unknown.
Tell me how poor advancer to the DBL is supposed to react?

Thanks

Rainer Herrmann

Yeah, if only I had considered this whilst examining about 200 hands where the Multi has come up in top level play.

I don't really understand the problem you are referring to - say partner has a 1435 12 count, he cue bids 3. I guess I could play 2NT followed by 3 as a 1543 twelve count, but personally I would just tend to overcall 2 on that, thankful that the multi lets us come in lower.

Anyway, the two-way doubles idea comes from the Rodwell booklet from the late 90s.

#15 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2015-August-24, 13:05

View PostPhilKing, on 2015-August-24, 08:19, said:

Anyway, the two-way doubles idea comes from the Rodwell booklet from the late 90s.

The idea is older than that. I think I was playing them in about 1990, and I didn't invent them.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#16 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-24, 13:14

Will talk to partner about adding Bowles doubles.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#17 User is offline   karlson 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-24, 13:27

View PostPhilKing, on 2015-August-24, 08:19, said:

Yeah, if only I had considered this whilst examining about 200 hands where the Multi has come up in top level play.

I don't really understand the problem you are referring to - say partner has a 1435 12 count, he cue bids 3. I guess I could play 2NT followed by 3 as a 1543 twelve count, but personally I would just tend to overcall 2 on that, thankful that the multi lets us come in lower.

Well, ok, if he has another place to play, like a 5-card minor, then yes, it's easy.

How about something like a 2533 11-count? I think that's closer to what Rainer is worried about, and I'm a little worried about it too.

(If you think that's impossible on this auction, then let's switch the majors around).

#18 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-24, 13:32

View Postkarlson, on 2015-August-24, 13:27, said:

Well, ok, if he has another place to play, like a 5-card minor, then yes, it's easy.

How about something like a 2533 11-count? I think that's closer to what Rainer is worried about, and I'm a little worried about it too.

(If you think that's impossible on this auction, then let's switch the majors around).

Yeah, I guess we need one of the cues to promise five hearts and a game force. With the majors the other way round, we can jump to 3 showing five(and forcing), I think.

#19 User is offline   karlson 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-24, 17:07

View PostPhilKing, on 2015-August-24, 13:32, said:

Yeah, I guess we need one of the cues to promise five hearts and a game force. With the majors the other way round, we can jump to 3 showing five(and forcing), I think.

So we get to 3n instead of defending 2MX with marginal values and our long suit opposite partner's shortness. Surely this is a significant loss.

I'm not out to bash the system -- it's an interesting idea. But I think there is pretty clearly a big downside.

#20 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-25, 10:35

View Postkarlson, on 2015-August-24, 17:07, said:

So we get to 3n instead of defending 2MX with marginal values and our long suit opposite partner's shortness. Surely this is a significant loss.

I'm not out to bash the system -- it's an interesting idea. But I think there is pretty clearly a big downside.

I don't think that's entirely the case. We still get all the trumps over the weak two penalties, and the trumps under situations are somewhat rarer. The big plus is that we don't get frozen out, even against ABC players.

Say we have a 4144 16 count, and it goes 2-pass-2. Playing standard, we have to pass, and there are plenty of ways that can work out badly, but it's extremely unlikely that we can pass and take them for a number.

My rule of thumb for an either/or double is that with shortage in the bid suit, we double with standard values, but with length in the bid suit, we need about a queen extra (I've done it this way since about 1996 - not as long as Gnasher, of course). This means that if partner forces to game we are fine, and if 2/3M gets passed out we have not missed much.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users