BBO Discussion Forums: Has U.S. Democracy Been Trumped? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 1072 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Has U.S. Democracy Been Trumped? Bernie Sanders wants to know who owns America?

#8461 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2017-December-12, 08:36

View PostZelandakh, on 2017-December-12, 08:10, said:

Could you post numbers for 9th and 10th Dec too Peter?

Trick question? the 9th and 10th were weekends. :)

#8462 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-December-12, 08:50

Weather is favoring Moore in Alabama today; it's supposed to dip into the teens.
OK
bed

#8463 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2017-December-12, 09:26

View Postjjbrr, on 2017-December-12, 08:50, said:

Weather is favoring Moore in Alabama today; it's supposed to dip into the teens.

He's on a mission from Gaud.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#8464 User is offline   andrei 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-December-12, 09:29

View Postcherdano, on 2017-December-12, 05:09, said:

GREAT JOB ANDREI YOU HAVE FOUND A MISTAKE IN A VOX ARTICLE AND PROVED THAT VOX IS WRONG AND FOX IS RIGHT! YOU WON THE INTERNET!!!

What's wrong with the CapsLock lately?
Don't argue with a fool. He has a rested brain
Before internet age you had a suspicion there are lots of "not-so-smart" people on the planet. Now you even know their names.

#8465 User is offline   andrei 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-December-12, 09:43

View PostPeterAlan, on 2017-December-12, 06:23, said:

Yglesias' article specifically cited the S&P 500 index, not the Dow Jones, which is a much narrower 30-constituent index (as is the DAX 30).

S&P 500: Dec 30, 2016: 2238.83, today: 2659.99, up by 18.81% YTD

PS: CDAX: Dec 30, 2016: 1042.86, today (close 11 Dec): 1222.01, up by 17.18% YTD

The American stock market is up a lot in 2017, but the German and Japanese markets are up by more.

The S&P 500 is at an all-time record, but so are markets in the United Kingdom, Canada, South Korea, Taiwan, and elsewhere.

He specifically mentioned S&P 500 in relation with UK/Canada/SK/Taiwan.
He specifically mentioned the broader "stock market" in relation with Germany/Japan.

But he clearly was quoting from memory, so no issue here.

I made a mistake in my initial post as I quoted DAX instead of CDAX, but I was quoting from memory too.
And still CDAX is way lower than Dow YTD.
Don't argue with a fool. He has a rested brain
Before internet age you had a suspicion there are lots of "not-so-smart" people on the planet. Now you even know their names.

#8466 User is offline   WellSpyder 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-December-12, 10:15

View Postandrei, on 2017-December-12, 09:43, said:

He specifically mentioned S&P 500 in relation with UK/Canada/SK/Taiwan.
He specifically mentioned the broader "stock market" in relation with Germany/Japan.

I think you are missing the basic point that the Dow is much narrower than the S&P, not broader.

#8467 User is offline   PeterAlan 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-December-12, 10:17

View PostZelandakh, on 2017-December-12, 08:10, said:

Could you post numbers for 9th and 10th Dec too Peter? Maybe Vox actually took the time to check the numbers before publishing - a concept likely to be completely alien to a conservative audience - and at the time of writing the DAX was indeed higher?

There are no numbers for 9th & 10th December (weekend). The (closing) numbers for Friday 8th December were:

S&P 500: 2,651.50; +18.43% from close 30 December 2016

Dow 30: 24,329.16; +23.11%

Nikkei: 22,811.08; +19.34%

CDAX: 1,224.36; +17.14%

DAX 30: 13,153.70 +14.31%

and the numbers for the earlier days in December show similar relative positions.

We don't know the exact range of dates for Yglesias' remark, but given (1) the day-to-day variations in the various markets, and (2) the differences between the indices within each market (the Dow 30 and DAX 30 are relatively poor indicators of their complete markets) the conclusion that there's nothing special about the US market seems in order.

Incidentally, the closing Nikkei (NB: the usual Nikkei 225 index) figure for 11th December was 22,938.73 (+20.01%); I assume Andrei's figure for "now" was at some time during the 12 December trading day in Japan.

#8468 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2017-December-12, 17:19

The bull market is most likely explained by the quantitative easing that occurred to stabilize the banking industry, and the fact that the Fed has not reversed those purchases as of yet. Once the threat ended, all those excess reserves had to go somewhere.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#8469 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-December-12, 21:24

And who reserves the (Federal) Reserve (while watching the watchers)?

The banks get the QE, so they have more "reserves" so that they can loan out even more.....look out leverage!
The Grand Design, reflected in the face of Chaos...it's a fluke!

#8470 User is offline   y66 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-December-12, 21:25

As of 10:24 PM EST, with 89 percent of votes tallied, the NYT has Jones leading by 0.8 percent, projected to win by 2.2 percent and >95% confidence.

AP just called it for Jones.
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#8471 User is offline   hrothgar 

• Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2017-December-12, 21:59

View Posty66, on 2017-December-12, 21:25, said:

As of 10:24 PM EST, with 89 percent of votes tallied, the NYT has Jones leading by 0.8 percent, projected to win by 2.2 percent and >95% confidence.

AP just called it for Jones.

w00t!

Things could get really interesting if Cotton end up going to the CIA...
Alderaan delenda est

#8472 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2017-December-12, 22:48

Jones wins!

Note to Roy Moore: Tonight, God is a Democrat - and a woman!

#8473 User is offline   hrothgar 

• Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2017-December-13, 03:17

Richard Shelby deserves a lot of credit for putting country ahead of... well, can't say "party". Let's leave it at "Whatever toxic pile of sludge Trump/Bannon/Moore represent"
Alderaan delenda est

#8474 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-December-13, 09:03

I'm happy to admit I'm wrong. I thought Alabama would, without question, ***** this up. Congratulations to reason, sense, and morality.
OK
bed

#8475 User is offline   shyams 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-December-13, 09:38

Posted Image

Assuming the above graph is a true representation of voting pattern, I fear the whole political landscape some US states continues to polarise itself along racial lines. I don't know if this can be classed as a victory or a defeat.

IMO, the "defeated" may come back and strike harder next time.

#8476 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-December-13, 10:04

White women voted for Trump, too.
OK
bed

#8477 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Music, films, computer programming, politics, bridge

Posted 2017-December-13, 11:02

I see that USA Today has an editorial critical of Trump: Will Trump's lows ever hit rock bottom?

A president who would all but call Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand a whore is not fit to clean the toilets in the Barack Obama Presidential Library or to shine the shoes of George W. Bush.

Seems that not everyone has lost the art of invective...
:)
The growth of wisdom may be gauged exactly by the diminution of ill temper. — Friedrich Nietzsche
The infliction of cruelty with a good conscience is a delight to moralists — that is why they invented hell. — Bertrand Russell

#8478 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2017-December-13, 13:54

View PostPassedOut, on 2017-December-13, 11:02, said:

I see that USA Today has an editorial critical of Trump: Will Trump's lows ever hit rock bottom?

I find it a relief to read that a centrist newspaper has recognized Trump for who he is: a thug with no redeeming qualities, a lowlife mobster wannabe masquerading as meaningful.

To quote USA Today's editorial:

....Donald Trump, the man, on the other hand, is uniquely awful. His sickening behavior is corrosive....

Or, you might even say, deplorable...

#8479 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-December-13, 16:14

View PostPassedOut, on 2017-December-13, 11:02, said:

Thanks for posting this. I occasioanlly read USA Today if one is lying around in Starbucks ot I am traveling but usually I don't. It,s an ok paper, but you can'tread everythingg

The part that particualerly matches my view was

This isn’t about the policy differences we have with all presidents or our disappointment in some of their decisions. Obama and Bush both failed in many ways. They broke promises and told untruths, but the basic decency of each man was never in doubt.

Donald Trump, the man, on the other hand, is uniquely awful. His sickening behavior is corrosive to the enterprise of a shared governance based on common values and the consent of the governed.

From the start my problem with the Trump presidency has been Trump. Of course one might say, but generally I am fine with having someone in office that I didn't vote for or that I don't agree with. Next election maybe the winner will be someone I voted for and my neighbor didn't. The country can work along those lines. But Trump is exactly what they say, truly awful. I feel silly even discussing whether a guy who likes to undress fourteen year old girls should or should not be trusted with the responsibilities of the Senate. We have never before had a president who so unerringly picks the worst possible approach to any issue. I can discuss the pluses and minuses of, say, the tax deduction for home mortgages. I favor having such a deduction it helped me a lot when I was getting started, and I favor limiting it so that we are not giving a tax break for someone paying interest on a loan for his second mansion. But I can see other views. Trump? He is indeed uniquely awful, and I think this is becoming very clear to quite a few people, including many who voted for him. Not yet all. But supporting him must be getting a little tough.

Of course we mustn't lose sight of what is important: Trump was right. He tweeted so. Trump is always right. And everyone loves him. Good grief, where are we? If we give him a large cash settlement would he just go away?
Ken

#8480 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2017-December-13, 16:52

This is a headline from Yahoo!:

FBI agents called Trump an 'idiot' during presidential race

This is a total embarrassment for the FBI because as Rex Tillerson pointed out, Trump is a "f#*#ing moron". One would think the FBI would know the distinction.

• 1072 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

203 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 203 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. Google