BBO Discussion Forums: Has U.S. Democracy Been Trumped? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 1074 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Has U.S. Democracy Been Trumped? Bernie Sanders wants to know who owns America?

#501 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-October-26, 17:46

View Postbarmar, on 2015-October-26, 10:58, said:

I think the simple way to understand it is as: for whatever treatments and costs the insurance covers, those will be paid by the government, rather than requiring the insured to pay premiums.

This still allows for the insurance to only pay a percentage of the medical costs, copayments, and deductibles, just like ordinary medical insurance does. You may be able to buy other insurance to fill in the gap.

I agree. I am not so sure that I think "single payer" is a good term for this arrangement, but I can live with it.
Ken

#502 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2015-October-26, 17:52

I got my hair cut today, something I do every few months whether it needs it or not, and the guy cutting my hair was telling me he was listening to Matt Lauer's interview with Donald Trump. He thought Trump had very good answers. Becky and I have been wondering just where all of this support for Trump is coming from . I thought it wise to hold my tongue while he was holding the scissors. Halloween is coming up, but I can buy a mask.
Ken

#503 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-October-26, 18:08

View PostWinstonm, on 2015-October-24, 17:56, said:

What "few very few hands" are you talking about? Congress? The Department of Health and Human Services? I would rather have the power over my healthcare in the hands of the government than have it be decided by a dozen board members of some insurance company that is concerned more with how they appear to their shareholders than with my health. Now that is what I call a "few very few hands".

Winston if you truly believe that 20% of the American economy is decided and run by a few, very few people outside of the government ..ok

#504 User is offline   chasetb 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-October-27, 00:49

View Postmike777, on 2015-October-26, 18:08, said:

Winston if you truly believe that 20% of the American economy is decided and run by a few, very few people outside of the government ..ok

Oh, he does. He also believes that Democrats can do nothing wrong, and all Republicans are inherently evil.

Before he decides to attack me like the Republican party, I have to state as I have before a few times, I align myself as a libertarian-conservative who dislikes both parties, but if I had to choose one, would go with the GOP. In the past few months, I have taken the World's Smallest Political Quiz 3 times, and I have scored as a Libertarian-Centrist, a Libertarian-Conservative-Centrist, and just a Libertarian.

If I made a Republican list, Trump would come in just above Jeb Bush, Chris Christie, and Lindsay Graham at the bottom. As for the Democrats, I put Bernie Sanders just above Hilary Clinton, but both of them are at the bottom as well.
"It's not enough to win the tricks that belong to you. Try also for some that belong to the opponents."

"Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself."

"One advantage of bad bidding is that you get practice at playing atrocious contracts."

-Alfred Sheinwold

#505 User is online   Winstonm 

• Interests:Art, music

Posted 2015-October-27, 07:43

View Postchasetb, on 2015-October-27, 00:49, said:

Oh, he does. He also believes that Democrats can do nothing wrong, and all Republicans are inherently evil.

Before he decides to attack me like the Republican party, I have to state as I have before a few times, I align myself as a libertarian-conservative who dislikes both parties, but if I had to choose one, would go with the GOP. In the past few months, I have taken the World's Smallest Political Quiz 3 times, and I have scored as a Libertarian-Centrist, a Libertarian-Conservative-Centrist, and just a Libertarian.

If I made a Republican list, Trump would come in just above Jeb Bush, Chris Christie, and Lindsay Graham at the bottom. As for the Democrats, I put Bernie Sanders just above Hilary Clinton, but both of them are at the bottom as well.

No one has to "attack" the Republican party - that party, like any political party, is capable of self-destruction, more so when the Tea Party faction is factored in. As for a personal attack, I have no animosity toward libertarians - my take there is that anyone who espouses fantasy-based solutions to problems of reality should be pitied.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#506 User is online   Winstonm 

Posted 2015-October-27, 07:52

View Postkenberg, on 2015-October-26, 17:46, said:

I agree. I am not so sure that I think "single payer" is a good term for this arrangement, but I can live with it.

I don't think terms are all that important. The more critical issue to resolve is whether or not in an advanced economy basic healthcare should be considered an individual right or should it be sold to the highest bidder like a commodity. If the lives of the poor. working poor and lower middle-class are not as valued as the lives of the wealthier classes, healthcare no doubt should remain a commodity.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#507 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-October-27, 10:36

View Postkenberg, on 2015-October-26, 17:46, said:

I think it's a vestige of a time when insurance and Medicare tended to cover more. Now Medicare has the "donut hole", and patients have to fill in the gaps much more.

#508 User is online   Winstonm 

Posted 2015-October-27, 11:26

Not all capitalists disparage the role of governments:

In a recent interview with The Atlantic, billionaire tech magnate Bill Gates announced his game plan to spend $2 billion of his own wealth on green energy investments, and called on his fellow private sector billionaires to help make the U.S. fossil-free by 2050. But in doing so, Gates admitted that the private sector is too selfish and inefficient to do the work on its own, and that mitigating climate change would be impossible without the help of government research and development.

“There’s no fortune to be made. Even if you have a new energy source that costs the same as today’s and emits no CO2, it will be uncertain compared with what’s tried-and-true and already operating at unbelievable scale and has gotten through all the regulatory problems,” Gates said. “Without a substantial carbon tax, there’s no incentive for innovators or plant buyers to switch.”

Gates even tacked to the left and uttered words that few other billionaire investors would dare to say: government R&D is far more effective and efficient than anything the private sector could do.

#509 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-October-28, 09:35

I agree with Gates. The private sector is very poor at tackling problems that will not provide any short-term returns -- their investors won't back a plan that will not see payout for decades. Governments are under no compunction for short-term returns, although sometimes politicians will see the need for this as a requirement to get re-elected. But incumbents generally have a built-in leg up in the election that they don't need to do that -- it's enough not to totally mess up.

#510 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2015-October-28, 11:33

View Postbarmar, on 2015-October-28, 09:35, said:

I agree with Gates. The private sector is very poor at tackling problems that will not provide any short-term returns -- their investors won't back a plan that will not see payout for decades. Governments are under no compunction for short-term returns, although sometimes politicians will see the need for this as a requirement to get re-elected. But incumbents generally have a built-in leg up in the election that they don't need to do that -- it's enough not to totally mess up.

Are you specifically talking about the US here or more generally? Because the effects of incumbency vary quite a lot between countries.
(-: Zel :-)

#511 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Music, films, computer programming, politics, bridge

Posted 2015-December-01, 20:41

The US has company when it comes to ignorant citizens: Iraqis think the U.S. is in cahoots with the Islamic State, and it is hurting the war

“It is not in doubt,” said Mustafa Saadi, who says his friend saw U.S. helicopters delivering bottled water to Islamic State positions. He is a commander in one of the Shiite militias that last month helped push the militants out of the oil refinery near Baiji in northern Iraq alongside the Iraqi army.

The Islamic State is “almost finished,” he said. “They are weak. If only America would stop supporting them, we could defeat them in days.”

No need for the US to escalate then. Just bring it all home and let the Iraqis finish the job. ;)
The growth of wisdom may be gauged exactly by the diminution of ill temper. — Friedrich Nietzsche
The infliction of cruelty with a good conscience is a delight to moralists — that is why they invented hell. — Bertrand Russell

#512 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2015-December-03, 18:34

View PostPassedOut, on 2015-December-01, 20:41, said:

The US has company when it comes to ignorant citizens: Iraqis think the U.S. is in cahoots with the Islamic State, and it is hurting the war

No need for the US to escalate then. Just bring it all home and let the Iraqis finish the job. ;)

I think that this is worth some thought. Of course we are not helping ISIS, we are in a panic about ISIS. So how could this happen.Partly it is groupthink, or whatever you want to call it. A bunch of Iraqis sit around griping and guess who is the villain. But that's not the whole thing. We did help Saddam target Iranians with poison gas in the 1980s so it's hardly a stretch to speculate we would help ISIS, another Sunni group, if we thought it might help us. But no, we don't think that it would. And later in the article you get the "more generous" view from a government official. Basically he absolves us of collaboration with ISIS, he just thinks we are useless.

I could go on.

Sure, we are not in cahoots with ISIS, got that. But the Iraqis have a mess, probably very few of them think of us as their salvation, and things go downhill from there. This happens. in many places, in many times, for many reasons.

Anyway, I think it is worthy of thought. All in all, it sounds almost hopeless. A better thought would be welcome.
Ken

#513 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2015-December-03, 23:16

If you accept there is a true war on terror as I mentioned years years ago...this is a 60 year fight.

I accept many forum posters do not think we are at war.

If you think this is just a police action ok ok ok.

Many ask what does victory look like.

victory = a significantly better political outcome than what we have now.

War=politics

#514 User is offline   y66 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-December-04, 09:03

That WaPo story can probably be traced to the Iraqi BBO water cooler forum. What will those crazy IBBOers come up with next? That U.S. Senate Republicans unanimously opposed, with one exception, recent legislation to prevent ISIS suspects on the F.B.I.’s consolidated terrorist watchlist from purchasing guns or explosives?
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#515 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

Posted 2015-December-04, 10:34

If you keep hitting a wasp nest with a stick, you can't be surprised when they try to sting you... From "supporting" Al Qaeda in Afghanistan (Mujahideen vs. the Soviets) to "dis-arming" Saddam in Iraq (unemployed Repubican Guardsmen having easy access to then-vacant armories) to sending pallets (literally!) of cash that then "disappeared"; the US has greatly exacerbated the volatility as well as the violence both in and outside of the region.
The Grand Design, reflected in the face of Chaos...it's a fluke!

#516 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2015-December-04, 12:50

View Posty66, on 2015-December-04, 09:03, said:

That WaPo story can probably be traced to the Iraqi BBO water cooler forum. What will those crazy IBBOers come up with next? That U.S. Senate Republicans unanimously opposed, with one exception, recent legislation to prevent ISIS suspects on the F.B.I.'s consolidated terrorist watchlist from purchasing guns or explosives?

yes, an Iraqi BBO Forum sounds about right.

Now for the legislation. Actually I'm not all that comfortable saying someone cannot do what other citizens do because he is on someone's list. I grew up when people couldn't get a job in the movie industry because they were on someone's list. Yes, making a movie and buying a gun are two very different activities but I am still uneasy about lists.

But of course then the solution, for many of these weapons, is that no one in private life needs to have them. Some people, because of the circumstances of their lives, do need a weapon for self protection. Unfortunate but true. But we could scale way back on what is allowed, and sharply increase the licensing requirements. laws and attitudes must change together here. The default is that a person does not need a gun of any kind and he sure as hell doesn't need a way to wipe out a large number of people in thirty seconds or so.

I suppose that we won't address this, so we will keep seeing people getting slaughtered by nut cases, religious nuts, paranoid nuts. A nut is a nut.
Ken

#517 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2015-December-04, 20:09

I am in a muddle. Driving home I listen to NPR. There was a little talk about the bill cited above stopping people on a list from buying guns. I gather this would be the same list that bars those on it from flying. It was Brooks and Dionne talkng and one of them made the reasonable point that if we can prohibit someone from guying an airline ticked we could permit him from buying a gun. Fair enough. But it got me to thinking about just how much the feds can prohibit someone from doing without charging him with a crime. I am a little late to this concern, I know.

The older I get, the less certain I am that I have the answer for much of anything.

Still, it seems obvious that we need to change both laws and attitudes about guns.
Ken

#518 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

Posted 2015-December-05, 09:53

Guns don't kill people, BULLETS kill them (unless you use the gun as a club, I suppose...) so make bullets hard to get (hunters need how many per trip?) and gun clubs (not for clubbing lol) and shooting ranges would need to keep records of numbers and users.
The Grand Design, reflected in the face of Chaos...it's a fluke!

#519 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2015-December-05, 14:13

Yes, we definitely need more government oversight of every aspect of our lives.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#520 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Music, films, computer programming, politics, bridge

Posted 2015-December-05, 14:25

We the people of the United States, in order to form a more perfect union, establish justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

The growth of wisdom may be gauged exactly by the diminution of ill temper. — Friedrich Nietzsche
The infliction of cruelty with a good conscience is a delight to moralists — that is why they invented hell. — Bertrand Russell

• 1074 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

98 User(s) are reading this topic
4 members, 94 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. Facebook,
  2. akwoo,
  3. thepossum,
  4. Cyberyeti,
  5. Winstonm