BBO Discussion Forums: Has U.S. Democracy Been Trumped? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 1072 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Has U.S. Democracy Been Trumped? Bernie Sanders wants to know who owns America?

#10761 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-August-10, 06:05

View Posty66, on 2017-March-16, 10:22, said:

From Why I'm Moving Home by the author of Hillbilly Elegy J.D. Vance

Is this guy for real? We'll see. I hope so.

I am now reading Hillbilly Elegy so I doug up this old post. Ialso found a TED talk by Vance https://www.ted.com/...n_working_class
I disagree with much that he says even though there are things that I can relate to.

My strongest reaction: The white working class environment that he describes is not the white working class environment that I grew up in. This is not just a matter of the times they are a'changin. He goes back to the lives of his mother, the various men in her life, his grandparent's lives and so on, some of this from the period when I was growing up. He describes how his family was not accepted easily into the general culture of Middletown Ohio. Of course they weren't, but this was not because they were from the hills of Kentucky, it was because of how they acted. At times he seems to understand this, at other times he seems proud of the way his family acted. He describes a time when his uncle was a young child and was in a drug store by himself and was playing with a toy. The clerk made him leave. The child's father. so J.P.'s grandfather, went into the store, smashed that toy and other toys, threw toys against the wall, grabbed the clerk and threatened him. Vance seems to write this off as just the way the Scotch-Irish are. No. Not the way the white working class I grew up with were, and I have no reason to think it's the way the Scotch-Irish are. It's the way his grandfather was, to the extent the story is true. And that's another thing. My Uncle Floyd, an iron miner, often spoke of his physical combativeness. One learns to be a bit skeptical. In the drugstore scene I wondered: Was there nobody else in the store? Did the clerk not later call the police? If not, how about the owner when he found the store trashed? Did the grandfather ever enter the store again? Or even go to that mall again (I think it was in a mall)? We can all think of stories that get told and re-told, becoming more and more embellished, and it seems nobody ever stops to say "This doesn't sound like something that would really happen". Vance seems to take the story at face value. Naive, I think.

J Dot's mother (he was known as J.P. or J Dot) was a total disaster. That's where the action is, I think. You don't have to be Scotch-Irish and you don't have to be poor ( his grandparents were in fact middle class with a considerably bigger house than the one I grew up in) to have disastrous family circumstances. Some survive this, with scars, some don't. I grew up with stability, my mother slept only with my father, my father slept only with my mother. That helps. It helps a lot. Perfect? No, but who's childhood was?
So I applaud any effort Vance makes in trying to bring hope and stability to troubled families. Much of the rest? To borrow a line from Nat King Cole "Your story's so touching but it sounds just like a lie"
Ken

#10762 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2018-August-10, 06:28

View Postkenberg, on 2018-August-10, 06:05, said:

I am now reading Hillbilly Elegy so I doug up this old post. Ialso found a TED talk by Vance https://www.ted.com/...n_working_class
I disagree with much that he says even though there are things that I can relate to.

My strongest reaction: The white working class environment that he describes is not the white working class environment that I grew op in. This is not just a matter of the times they are a'changin. He goes back to the lives of his mother, the various men in her life, his grandparent's lives and so on, some of this from the period when I was growing up. He describes how his family was not accepted easily into the general culture of Middletown Ohio. Of course they weren't, but this was not because they were from the hills of Kentucky, it was because of how they acted. At times he seems to understand this, at other times he seems proud of the way his family acted. He describes a time when his uncle was a young child and was in a drug store by himself and was playing with a toy. The clerk made him leave. The child's father. so J.P.'s grandfather, went into the store, smashed that toy and other toys, threw toys against the wall, grabbed the clerk and threatened him. Vance seems to write this off as just the way the Scotch-Irish are. No. Not the way the white working class I grew up with was, I have no reason to think it's the way the Scotch-Irish are. It's the way his grandfather was, to the extent the story is true. And that's another thing. My Uncle Floyd, an iron miner, often spoke of his physical combativeness. One learns to be a bit skeptical. In the drugstore scene I wondered: Was there nobody else in the store? Did the clerk not later call the police? If not, how about the owner when he found the store trashed? Did the grandfather ever enter the store again? Or even go to that mall again (I think it was in a mall)? We can all think of stories that get told and re-told, becoming more and more embellished, and it seems nobody ever stops to say "This doesn't sound like something that would really happen". Vance seems to take the story at face value. Naive, I think.

J Dot's mother (he was known as J.P. or J Dot) was a total disaster. That's where the action is, I think. You don't have to be Scotch-Irish and you don't have to be poor ( his grandparents were in fact middle class with a considerably bigger house than the one I grew up in) to have disastrous family circumstances. Some survive this, with scars, some don't. I grew up with stability, my mother slept only with my father, my father slept only with my mother. That helps. It helps a lot. Perfect? No, but who's childhood was?
So I applaud any effort Vance makes in trying to bring hope and stability to troubled families. Much of the rest? To borrow a line from Nat King Cole "Your story's so touching but it sounds just like a lie"

https://www.youtube....h?v=ue7wM0QC5LE
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#10763 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2018-August-10, 20:17

Well, I have now just about finished it. J Dot has his accomplishments. I doubt that he and I would agree on much.

Added: I have now finished it completely and I might back off a bit on my criticism. We could find some common ground perhaps.

Ken

#10764 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-August-10, 21:09

What do you do when your neighbor is a Neo-Nazi?

Never mind, I thought it was about the other guy who sometimes stays at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue. :rolleyes:

#10765 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2018-August-10, 21:31

I wondered why Andrew Miller ducked out on his appointment with the grand jury - turns out he is being represented by a non-profit, The National Legal and Policy Center.

Looking a little more deeply, Wikileaks says this about NLPC's mission:

1)

Asserting that the social responsibility of the corporation is to defend and advance the interests of the people who own the company, the shareholders.

Well stated. No debate here.
2)

True responsibility is fidelity to one's own mission, not someone else's, or someone else's political agenda.

Oh, so true responsibility is NOT to shareholders but to one own mission. Curious.
3)

Exposing influence peddling on public officials by corporations, which inevitably is the result of high levels of government spending and intervention in the marketplace.

Yes, and it is the bank's fault that it is robbed because of all the money they keep in there!
4)

Combating practices that undermine the free enterprise system, including philanthropic giving to groups hostile to a free economy.

So, influence peddling is the free market at work - and influence peddling must be stopped - cause it's the gubment's fault that the cheaters cheat - and no restraints on the market can be tolerated.

And to do all this you started a non-profit instead of a engaging in the free market with other lawyers.

Sounds about right.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#10766 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-August-11, 07:07

Dennison supporter Laura Ingraham disavows white nationalists

Fox's Laura Ingraham: I wasn't talking about race

A very believable denial. I have no doubt that she does not harbor any bad thoughts about people based on race. Skin color is another matter.

#10767 User is offline   shyams 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-August-11, 08:08

View Postjohnu, on 2018-August-11, 07:07, said:

Dennison supporter Laura Ingraham disavows white nationalists

Fox's Laura Ingraham: I wasn't talking about race

A very believable denial. I have no doubt that she does not harbor any bad thoughts about people based on race. Skin color is another matter.

Well her viewership stats are up. For all we know, she might get a raise soon enough.

#10768 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2018-August-12, 09:16

I'm considering proposing a new reality game show to NBC. It will be called, "Who's the Lowlife?" in honor of Dennison's tweet:

The big story that the Fake News Media refuses to report is lowlife Christopher Steele’s many meetings with Deputy A.G. Bruce Ohr and his beautiful wife, Nelly. It was Fusion GPS that hired Steele to write the phony & discredited Dossier, paid for by Crooked Hillary & the DNC....

Narrator: All right here is what really happened: (Cut to stock film of Steele)
When the information he was gathering on Mr. Trump seemed alarming, Mr. Steele informed the Federal Bureau of Investigation about his concerns.

(Cut to Beavis and Butthead clip)
When the Russian government offered dirt on Mr. Trump’s opponent, his campaign didn’t alert authorities about this sketchy behavior. It eagerly took the meeting.

For $500, who's the lowlife?

#10769 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-August-12, 09:56

Rudy Giuliani Now Says Dennison, Comey Never Discussed Michael Flynn

My prediction is that next week, Giuliani will claim Dennison never ever talked with Comey, and in fact, has never met the man.

#10770 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-August-14, 08:25

Stephen Colbert Schools Dennison Over Latest Geography Goof

#10771 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-August-14, 08:40

From the chas_p school of effective hiring: this email

Vernon Parker
Vernon Parker was one of the higher level black political appointees in the Bush Administration. He has been an active supporter of ours since April and worked to help us in the delegate fights at the state and district levels.

Recommended Position: Deputy AG, Dept of Justice

As a black appointment, Parker would bring administrative skills to the position and would be a visible answer to the bogus racist charges that will be leveled against Jeff Sessions.

Alternative positions:

Assistant AG Civil Rights:
The Assistant Attorney General's spot for Civil Rights at Justice will be a hotbed, and the Trump administration will be under the microscope with every move. Parker was the first ever Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights at USDA.

Director of Office of Personnel Management, White House
He served as General Counsel of the Office of Personnel Management under President H.W Bush.

OK
bed

#10772 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2018-August-14, 09:45

View Postjjbrr, on 2018-August-14, 08:40, said:

From the chas_p school of effective hiring: this email

Paul Manafort:

Vernon Parker was one of the higher level black political appointees in the Bush Administration. He has been an active supporter of ours...

Donnie Brasco:

When I introduce you, I'm gonna say, "This is a friend of mine." That means you're a connected guy. Now if I said instead, this is a friend of ours that would mean you a made guy. A Capiche?

Must be hard to discard habits...

#10773 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2018-August-14, 13:32

Yahoo reports there are reasons to believe at least one Omarosa claim:

Campaign finance records show several former aides to President Donald Trump have received payments of roughly $15,000 per month from campaign or party accounts, bolstering part of former aide Omarosa Manigault Newman’s claim that she was offered the same amount to keep quiet about her time in the White House.

The Apprentice contestant turned White House aide Manigault Newman has alleged that multiple former Trump Administration aides have been taking money for their silence since leaving their posts, a hush money payment under the guise of a no-show job that she says she turned down.

#10774 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-August-14, 13:41

I had thought that W was an unbeatable low as President but at least he had Darth Cheney as Veep... Mike Pence? Sheesh
The Grand Design, reflected in the face of Chaos...it's a fluke!

#10775 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2018-August-15, 09:35

BTW, does anyone else find it weird to hear everyone using Omarosa's full name? As if writing a book suddenly erases the fact that for years she was just a reality star.

Even when she was working in the WH the media rarely said her last name.

#10776 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2018-August-15, 11:22

This poll has helped identify "the genuine enemy":

Washington (CNN)A majority of Republicans said they believed the news media is "the enemy of the people" rather than "an important part of democracy" in a poll released Tuesday.

The poll from Quinnipiac University showed 51% of GOP respondents identified with President Donald Trump's "enemy of the people" line -- a result that reflected an ongoing partisan breakdown on the validity of the press.

There are political rallies where t-shirts are worn that proclaim it better to be Russian than Democrat. The president claims the free press is the "enemy of the people". It is impossible to overemphasize the danger to democracy this crazed cult of personality brings.

It really needs to be stopped and stopped convincingly.

#10777 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2018-August-15, 11:45

View Postbarmar, on 2018-August-15, 09:35, said:

BTW, does anyone else find it weird to hear everyone using Omarosa's full name? As if writing a book suddenly erases the fact that for years she was just a reality star.

Even when she was working in the WH the media rarely said her last name.

I am positive that I had never heard her name until maybe a couple of weeks ago. I never watched The Apprentice. Trump calls her a crazed crying lowlife, she calls him unhinged. I'll hold their coats while they fight it out.

Someone, commenting on "Unhinged" , asked why it took her so long to figure this out. And one could ask the same of Trump, regarding her and for so many others that formerly worked for him. With Trump, everyone is a really great guy/gal until they cross him, then they are scum. If the whole bunch of them could just live out their drama back on Reality TV, that would suit me fine. "You're fired." All of them.

I have no idea why they didn't say her full name. Or why they do now. Maybe like Sarah Huckabee Sanders? Sarah would bring up Sarah who, while using Ms. Sanders would offend those who think a woman should retain her birth name in her professional life, and Ms. Huckabee perhaps would be thought dismissive of her husband. I dunno. Different women make different choices on this matter. My first wife studied at the Minneapolis School of Art and considered signing her paintings with her maiden name. This was unusual in the early 1960s, and perhaps an omen, but I raised no objection. And maybe that was also an omen. Not really, I think

Ken

#10778 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-August-15, 11:56

On both her turns as an "apprentice" she was a conniving, back-stabbing liar who played the victim when caught out. Since DT was likely looking for (more) sycophants in the WH staff, he paid his money (in perpetuity for some, possibly) and he took his chances. I would not trust her or anything she has to.say that is not totally corroborated.
The Grand Design, reflected in the face of Chaos...it's a fluke!

#10779 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2018-August-15, 12:09

Guiliani on CNN today helped explain Dennison's mendacity. (Paraphrased) He is the most honest president there has ever been....provided you believe what he says.

#10780 User is offline   ldrews 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2018-August-15, 20:14

I guess we are still winning : https://www.census.g...rts_current.pdf

• 1072 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

130 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 130 guests, 0 anonymous users