BBO Discussion Forums: Has U.S. Democracy Been Trumped? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 370 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Has U.S. Democracy Been Trumped? Bernie Sanders wants to know who owns America?

#7381 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted Yesterday, 17:36

View Posty66, on 2017-September-19, 13:42, said:

I don't think Trump's "unfair" antics did her in. She really needed to get out there, pound a few beers with the white blue-collar voters who supported Obama (of whom 18% voted for Trump) and make them feel like she was going to do real stuff, not fake stuff, to get their regional economies going again, that it wasn't going to be easy, that it wasn't going to happen over night, but she was not going to rest or play golf until she succeeded. Basically, be like Sanders on trade and education and channel Rocky. Not easy to pull off after a bitter primary with Bernie for someone who doesn't look like Sylvester Stallone.

you got that right. Hillary was just so objectionable, personally, politically and policy-wise that only the devoted, virtue-signaling, left-leaning aristo errr democrats would vote for her. Trump was the "bird" that was given to the established order. He may be a joke, but he is your joke for the next 3 years.
The Grand Design, reflected in the face of Chaos...it's a fluke!

#7382 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted Yesterday, 19:41

View Postbarmar, on 2017-September-19, 08:58, said:

If Hillary had immediately succeeded Bill, I might be worried about the dynasty problem. But she didn't. She went on to have a successful political career of her own, while Bill was busy running the Clinton Foundation with Chelsea, and this prepared her for the Presidency. Of course she would seek advice from Bill, but I'll take his advice over Ivanka's any day.

Unfortunately, she didn't take Bill's advice about the campaign. So that's why we'll probably end up with a Tax Reform bill that will include a tax credit for day care expenses courtesy of Ivanka's input on women's issues to her father.

#7383 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted Yesterday, 20:25

View PostAl_U_Card, on 2017-September-19, 17:36, said:

you got that right. Hillary was just so objectionable, personally, politically and policy-wise that only the devoted, virtue-signaling, left-leaning aristo errr democrats would vote for her. Trump was the "bird" that was given to the established order. He may be a joke, but he is your joke for the next 3 years.

Yep, you got that right. Just the other day someone was saying to me, "Ken, you are such a devoted aristo errr democrat, always virtue signaling". I leaned to the left and gave him the bird. Then we opened another bottle of gin.
Ken

#7384 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted Today, 08:03

kenberg, on 2017-September-19, 20:25, said:

Yep, you got that right. Just the other day someone was saying to me, "Ken, you are such a devoted aristo errr democrat, always virtue signaling". I leaned to the left and gave him the bird. Then we opened another bottle of gin.

Not bad. ;) Outside observers can at least provide a different perspective. Beer works too...
The Grand Design, reflected in the face of Chaos...it's a fluke!

#7385 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted Today, 08:26

View PostRedSpawn, on 2017-September-19, 13:00, said:

OK. But if Hillary receives and potentially acts on advice from the First Gentleman ( who used to be a Former President), doesn't that fly in the face of the spirit of the 22nd Amendment? Technically, we didn't elect BC to a 3rd term, but he would just have a potentially material say in White House matters since his capable wife is in the Office of the President. And more likely than not, she will discuss thorny issues with those in her inner circle, including her husband.

Not much more than electing the son of a former President, IMHO. More generally, Presidents take the advice of many people we didn't elect, there's not much we can do about that.

There's a big difference between "having a potentially material say" and actually having the nuclear codes. The purpose of the 22nd Amendment isn't to prevent previous Presidents from having any future influence. The 22nd Amendment wouldn't prevent an ex-President from being elected as Vice President, for example.

#7386 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted Today, 11:24

View PostRedSpawn, on 2017-September-18, 14:48, said:

Question: Do you honestly think Hillary would have thrown herself into the job with energy and good intent with absolutely no advice or direction from her husband at all? My problem with HRC, besides the character issue of her campaign receiving material support from the Democratic National Committee and never officially apologizing to Bernie Sanders for the lapse of judgment, is that it almost feels like her husband has a chance at 16 years affecting policy at the White House.

I am not suggesting that HRC isn't her own woman. I am suggesting that the very fact that husband and wife can vie for the Presidency out of a nation of 330 million people smacks of what is wrong with our political system. HRC had a mentality that she should have ascended to the White House because of her sex, her pedigree, her political clout, and her family name. It's problematic in 30 years when you have the possibilities of:

• George H.W. Bush (4 years) (1989-1993)
  • George W. Bush (8 years) (2001-2009)
  • Bill Clinton (8 years) (1993-2001)
  • Hillary Clinton (4 years) (2017-2021)

Are we a constitutional republic because this Presidential list has dynastic overtones had Hillary won?

Seems odd - and one-sided - to me that you have little complaints about the nepotism occurring in the Trump administration. Hillary and Bill are a nothingburger in comparison.
If something cannot go on forever, it will stop. - Herb Stein

Share this topic:

• 370 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
1 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. jjbrr