BBO Discussion Forums: Has U.S. Democracy Been Trumped? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 275 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Has U.S. Democracy Been Trumped? Bernie Sanders wants to know who owns America?

#5481 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Music, films, computer programming, politics, bridge

Posted Yesterday, 11:39

View PostZelandakh, on 2017-March-27, 09:31, said:

You are joking right? Surely noone who has any idea about international healthcare can really believe something like this. :lol:

If one can afford insurance and is selective, one can get good care here. Our family uses the Mayo Clinic for anything serious. But the overall statistics for outcomes in the US fall far below those of more advanced nations.

It was common when traveling to get questions or comments about US healthcare along the lines of WTF? Now though, the WTF questions are about Trump.
:(
The growth of wisdom may be gauged exactly by the diminution of ill temper. Friedrich Nietzsche
The infliction of cruelty with a good conscience is a delight to moralists that is why they invented hell. Bertrand Russell

#5482 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted Yesterday, 11:52

View Postbarmar, on 2017-March-27, 08:27, said:

I've never been able to fully understand my healthcare options. Whether I've had employer-supplied insurance or I've been self-insured, they've always given me a menu of different plans to choose from. Employers generally just have a few options (HMO versus PPO, high or low deductibles), while the market place has lots of options. The websites have options to compare them, but figuring out the priority between feature A, feature B, and price is difficult. In the end I just guess.

Even in the relatively simple situation I inhabit right now, the benefits are confusing. I definitely did not say the system is understandable, mostly it isn't. But I have been happy with the care that I get, and one way or another most thinigs seem to get covered

It certainly would be nice to understand what I have. I don't. But it seems to work out.
Ken

#5483 User is offline   jogs 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:student of the game

Posted Yesterday, 17:27

The usa has the best health care

View PostZelandakh, on 2017-March-27, 09:31, said:

You are joking right? Surely noone who has any idea about international healthcare can really believe something like this. :lol:

For the 30% with cadillac plans that statement is probably true. At the top level for the top 1% the USA certainly has the best healthcare. For the 25% at the bottom the USA may have nearly the worst healthcare among the industrialized world.

#5484 User is offline   y66 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted Yesterday, 20:09

In the 25 years that I served in the United States Congress, Republicans never, ever, one time agreed on what a health care proposal should look like. Not once. And all this happy talk that went on in November and December and January about repeal, repeal, repeal — yeah, we’ll do replace, replace — I started laughing.
-- John Boehner, who handed off the Speaker's gavel to Paul Ryan on October 29, 2015 before resigning from Congress on October 31, 2015. Boehner currently works for Squire, Patton, Boggs the 3rd largest lobbying firm in the U.S. He also sits on the board of Reynolds American, the 2nd largest tobacco firm in the U.S.
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again. Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#5485 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted Today, 09:11

View Postkenberg, on 2017-March-27, 11:52, said:

It certainly would be nice to understand what I have. I don't. But it seems to work out.

That's basically my point. Except for people with special needs, the details don't make all that much difference. If you're generally healthy, you go with low premiums, high deductibles, and moderate reimbursement for routine care; if you expect to have significant medical expenses, you choose higher premiums that pay medical expenses in full.

It's like picking a college to go to or deciding where to live. People agonize over these decisions when they have to make them, but in most cases you'll be happy with whatever you choose -- you can usually weed out the choices that would be a really bad fit.

Share this topic:

• 275 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

8 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users