BBO Discussion Forums: Bidding partner's cards along with your own - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Bidding partner's cards along with your own

#1 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2015-August-16, 15:49

"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#2 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-16, 16:25

On this round I'll just bid my cards. 5.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#3 User is offline   BillPatch 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:income taxes, american history, energy

Posted 2015-August-16, 16:55

While I like 5 surely I would consider the type of scoring, state of the match, skill level of opponents, and their preempting style before I could commit to avoiding a timely pass. At a minimum, matchpoints or other, and pairs or teams should be specified on these questions.

if the opponents were vulnerable I would be willing to trust the surety of their game and commit to 5 .

#4 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-16, 17:00

BillPatch, on 2015-August-16, 16:55, said:

While I like 5 surely I would consider the type of scoring, state of the match, skill level of opponents, and their preempting style before I could commit to avoiding a timely pass. At a minimum, matchpoints or other, and pairs or teams.

Got this hand in bidding practice, so East and West hands were bid by GIBs. I really don't see how the form of scoring makes a big difference here, if you bid differently at MP pairs and IMP pairs I'd love to hear both versions.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#5 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-17, 06:33

mgoetze, on 2015-August-16, 17:00, said:

Got this hand in bidding practice, so East and West hands were bid by GIBs. I really don't see how the form of scoring makes a big difference here, if you bid differently at MP pairs and IMP pairs I'd love to hear both versions.

Even without calculating, it seems obvious at IMPs that the odds will favor bidding. Possible game both ways? Equal vul? When in doubt, bid one more.

At matchpoints, it's more of a guessing game. I will try to guess which action my current partner will approve of Posted Image
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#6 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-17, 09:37

5 is anywhere from a double game swing to a VERY large phantom sac if east is bidding on short(ish) spades and power.

That said, I don't always look both ways when crossing the street so I'm in and my partner will understand. The odds favor partner not being able to bid because of their spade holding with or without values.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#7 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-17, 15:27

5 seems obvious to me. Even if wrong we might not make the last mistake, partner is also there to make his own! :P

#8 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2015-August-17, 15:33

There's no way to know if RHO is sacrificing or bidding to make. But looking at a 5 loser hand with no losers, I'm not sitting for 4 . So I'm bidding 5 .

#9 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-17, 18:01

OK, good, I bid 5 too. Partner raised to 6 on his AKx Axx Tx KTxxx, making unless the opps somehow find a club lead. Does anyone think he should have acted directly over 2?
    -- Bertrand Russell

#10 User is offline   broze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-17, 18:42

Yes. Imo it is an auto 2N. AKAK and a 5 card suit. Only bean counters need 15 to 2NT.
'In an infinite universe, the one thing sentient life cannot afford to have is a sense of proportion.' - Douglas Adams

#11 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2015-August-17, 21:08

Hmmm 7-4 with a void in their trumps. This void makes me bid 5 as a two way shot. I'd feel much better with another honor in my suit, but..... oh well.

#12 User is offline   BillPatch 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-17, 21:46

Ran a simulation of 20 as an imp match on Jack. Subsequent bidding and opening leads by Jack, remainder of play Double Dummy. The 5 overcall won by 105-25, an average win of 4 imps per board. Jack did not select the overcall, which should be no surprise. Assumed methods on bot sides BWS2001. Some stats: pass over 4 always ended auction, and 4 made 75%. The overcaller played in 5 25%, 5 doubled 10%, 6 5%. The preemptors took insurance against 6 20% (probably phantom in each case). In the remaining hands the contract was 5 or 5 doubled.

Edit: Did not see partner's hand given before running sim.

#13 User is offline   Fluffy 

Posted 2015-August-18, 07:58

broze, on 2015-August-17, 18:42, said:

Yes. Imo it is an auto 2N. AKAK and a 5 card suit. Only bean counters need 15 to 2NT.

I wouldn't ridicule bean counters if I wasn't able to see AK on opps suit has no positional advantage. AK in opps suit is a bad stopper, not only don't you have anything to upgrade, but also opener will have unexpected outside values when his suit is bad.

#14 User is offline   Fluffy 

Posted 2015-August-18, 08:04

mgoetze, on 2015-August-17, 18:01, said:

OK, good, I bid 5 too. Partner raised to 6 on his AKx Axx Tx KTxxx, making unless the opps somehow find a club lead. Does anyone think he should have acted directly over 2?

I wouldn't mind a 3 overcall. Also I am not sure this is a clear raise to 6, on this hand it made because AK, A, third heart and doubleton diamond all produced tricks. And even then it is down double dummy.

With equal vulnerability chances of spades being 6430 is great, so foreseeing the wastage is not that hard. On the other hand I am seeing a lot of hands lately where AK vs void is not wasted at all, so I am reconsidering my position.

#15 User is offline   BillPatch 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-18, 08:56

Fluffy, on 2015-August-18, 07:58, said:

I wouldn't ridicule bean counters if I wasn't able to see AK on opps suit has no positional advantage. AK in opps suit is a bad stopper, not only don't you have anything to upgrade, but also opener will have unexpected outside values when his suit is bad.

Normally I would tend to avoid upgrading 2nd position over a weak 2, because the 15-18 range for 2NT already large enough. But the actual AKx in opps suit is a better stopper than AK, and one of the two tens is well placed with a higher honor in a five card suit. (While the AKx is not a plus for a suit contract, if partner does have a hand to consider playing , the most likely suit contract, 2NT certainly does not overstate the hand for that contract. I prefer 2NT to 3C, and 3C to pass.

#16 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-18, 15:13

Partner had two interesting decisions, we had none. We got assigned the wrong hand :)

I am sure I would pass over 2S - doesn't mean I know it's right, but I need more than AKx in their suit and a KTxxx suit to upgrade to a NT overcall at the 2-level with 14 hcp. I am doubtful about raising 5 - I think it's right to pass, partner should bid with much less. (Game/competing before slam.)
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#17 User is offline   BillPatch 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-18, 15:39

cherdano, on 2015-August-18, 15:13, said:

Partner had two interesting decisions, we had none. We got assigned the wrong hand :)

I am sure I would pass over 2S - doesn't mean I know it's right, but I need more than AKx in their suit and a KTxxx suit to upgrade to a NT overcall at the 2-level with 14 hcp. I am doubtful about raising 5 - I think it's right to pass, partner should bid with much less. (Game/competing before slam.)

I agree that it's right to pass 5, partner could bid with less with a higher Offense Defense Ratio, and might have found a bid others would not find, in which case bidding the slam would gain few imps or MPs.

#18 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2015-August-21, 08:52

mgoetze, on 2015-August-17, 18:01, said:

I'd also pass over 5 . The key question for me would be -- Can I be sure there aren't more than 1 loser? Looking at xx and K10xxx, I just can't come up with an answer of "Yes".

I'd also probably pass over 2 . 3 is a bit of a crap shoot with such a poor suit. I also have trouble upgrading to a 2 NT bid.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users