Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

A Recurring theme Forcing pass gone wrong

#1 User is offline   ibraves 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-August-16, 15:22

Here are a couple of hands where my partner and I went wrong at the Brighton Swiss Pairs (7 board rounds MPs scoring, converted to VPs on the weekend. Would appreciate input as to where we went wrong/ who could have done more.

Hand 1

I would probably have bid 5immediately as S but this is the auction you're given. I was West and had real problems imagining a hand where I avoid losing fewer than 2 tricks in + combined.

Hand 2

maybe 4 is a little lucky to make but you definitely want to be there. Missing it was worth 30% (problem is partially solved by passing as West but it is your style to open these hands :rolleyes: )

#2 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2015-August-16, 15:35

Hand 1 you have an extremely high ODR, if partner consults you it seems clear to bid rather than double.

Hand 2 the same would have happened to me. In theory it would probably be nice to have an agreement for East's pass/double over 3 to convey some information but I must admit I don't have an agreement there either.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#3 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-16, 16:06

Hand 1 I think the early auction is to blame. Rather than bid to show 3 card support, I'd prefer to bid 2 and show my five card suit. I'll regret it if 5 comes back to me and I haven't shown S support, but otherwise it seems more likely to land us at the right strain and level. Then with W, on the auction as given, I think he's worth a 4 bid. I'd like a better than 8-card trump suit, but it seems likely that all P's values will be working. Having made those calls with each hand, I'd probably replicate the rest of the auction. Both EW have values in the side suits, and neither of us have reason to think we have 5-level safety, so let's take the money.

Hand 2, I think I would find game and wish I hadn't. E's hand looks like a respectable minimum splinter. But 4 is in serious trouble on a C lead - 'lucky make' seems like an understatement for 'requiring a 4-2 or 5-1 split and both aces in the short hand (and no disasters in trumps)'.
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#4 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-17, 04:26

With the east hand you could have id 2H early, but I have no problem at all with 3C. Showing support early can often be the right move when you are at unfavourable and want partner to make the right 5/5 decision later. I mean if you bid 2H and it comes back to you in 5C you have to double now, but I would rather have bid 3C and then doubled.

I think passing over 4C with the west cards is the wrong move. While in a narrow sense you might well be right that 4M may not be making, you have to consider:
(1) + 50 or +100 might be a pretty poor score anyway. In which case you have much to gain and little to lose.
(2) You could easily be in a double fit hand if you know partner has exactly 3 spades. 34(??) is a very likely shape from partner.
(3) If you bid 4H the opponents might easily be suckered into doing the wrong thing.

I'd have bid 4H over 4C at MP and been pretty comfortable. That would have let partner know that I have a shapely hand, so he will know its right to bid 5H on his hand with the large double fit.

On hand two.
(1) Did you a have splinter available, if so east should splinter rather than bid 2N.
(2) Its if east's Pass is further encouragement, then west should bid game. Axx heart just looks like a massive holding at this point, partners "further encouragement" is very likely based on heart shortage. North has announced to the world that he has a v good hand, and partner is likely worried about wasted heart values in your hand. Your hand is worse than, say KQJxx Qx AJx Qxx on this auction probably. Since the third heart is really a massive card as it hugely improves the chance of partner being short and it might just be a free trick through a ruff.

Having said that, its a pretty marginal decision even then, I wouldn't be worried about missing this game. If the clubs were distributed a little differently you might get a club lead and be getting 70% in 3S rather than 30%.
The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real. - Sheldon Cooper

#5 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2015-August-17, 05:18

View Postphil_20686, on 2015-August-17, 04:26, said:

(1) Did you a have splinter available, if so east should splinter rather than bid 2N.

Are you saying that you consider the East hand a GF, given that they open [see West hand]?
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#6 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-17, 12:33

View Postmgoetze, on 2015-August-17, 05:18, said:

Are you saying that you consider the East hand a GF, given that they open [see West hand]?

It looks like one to me. Swap the red suit honours and it looks like a decent game, which you're not reaching unless E forces you to it (switch them both for the KQ of Cs and it looks excellent). If the partnership standard is to open most 11 counts, and the W hand could be Qxxxx Qxx Axx Kx (or worse), I might reconsider.
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#7 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-17, 14:07

View PostJinksy, on 2015-August-17, 12:33, said:

It looks like one to me. Swap the red suit honours and it looks like a decent game, which you're not reaching unless E forces you to it (switch them both for the KQ of Cs and it looks excellent). If the partnership standard is to open most 11 counts, and the W hand could be Qxxxx Qxx Axx Kx (or worse), I might reconsider.

you can't go forcing to game on 9 counts at matchpoints.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users