Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Not a great success

#1 User is offline   mr1303 

• Admirer of Walter the Walrus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, surfing, water skiing, cricket, golf. Generally being outside really.

Posted 2015-August-15, 19:31

This can't be classed as a success really. 6D was cold and 3NT went 2 off on a club lead.

Open to improvements. 3D was a limit raise.

#2 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-15, 19:49

View Postmr1303, on 2015-August-15, 19:31, said:

This can't be classed as a success really. 6D was cold and 3NT went 2 off on a club lead.

Open to improvements. 3D was a limit raise.

6!D is not cold but of course much better than 3 NT. I don't know what would be 2 but I can see a lot of bad things happening when limit minor hands jump to 3. This is not major suit where you pass or play 4M. What it leads to most of the time will be 3 NT, with a very little info. I do not like it at all tbh (playing 3m as limit raise)
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#3 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-15, 19:54

tough I guess south might try 3h over 3d and then 4s over 3s....difficult hand.

fwiw I play 2s, crisscross as limit raise but given OP tough hand, difficult.

North is not good enough for a 4c splinter over 1d.

#4 User is offline   mr1303 

• Admirer of Walter the Walrus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, surfing, water skiing, cricket, golf. Generally being outside really.

Posted 2015-August-15, 20:40

Sorry, when I said 6D was cold I meant it was cold on the layout of the cards.

#5 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-16, 02:57

How about opening 1? You'd probably still get to 3NT, but the chance of a club lead would be a lot less.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#6 User is offline   wanoff 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-August-16, 05:23

With one partner 2 is limit+. Now 2 asks for any shortage.

#7 User is offline   BillPatch 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:income taxes, american history, energy

Posted 2015-August-16, 06:01

1 is systemic in BWS, which plays inverted minors without crisscross promising 4 card support. This finds any more minor suit slams on non-pancake hands, and at least 95% of the time pancake hands play better at NT above the partscore level opposite a hand with an ordinary distribution such as this dummy. As noted above, at least 1 may impede the club lead.

If your intermediate or intermediate+ raises in diamonds typically deliver 5 card support the 1 opener works better on average, particularly when not playing MPs, where the penalty for playing in the lower scoring minor is usually severe when both contracts make at the same level. Mike777's suggestions seem to work well for the 3 level limit raises. Similar bidding one level lower works with the intermediate+ single raise, and you can return to 3NT after investigating the other contracts which might be optimal at imps if responder were to have one more club,

#8 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2015-August-16, 07:14

Don't play 3D as a limit raise. Anything else is more complicated than justified, considering the alternative of not playing limit raises.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#9 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-16, 10:42

Many players hate inverted minors but the example hand shows how tough it can be to sensibly bid when play 1m3m as invitational (vs 1m2m as invitational +). I would definitely bid 3h with the south hand since clubs looks like a glaring weakness and the 3h bid at least gets the ball rolling toward a possible 3n and warns responder that you have a problem with nt (and it is not hearts). responder follows with 3s which should mean a club problem identical to yours. This is bad for nt but how to proceed sensibly from here is sketchy. You have a lot of extras but the combined potential of the partnership could still easily be the 4 level (depending on responders club length).

IMHO it is not a bad idea to try 4s asking responder to POC since slam looks highly unlikely opposite a limit raise. Responder should be more than happy to pass 4s with their Kxx and singleton club since they are near the bottom of their limit raise and their cards are not slam conducive.

#10 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-16, 11:55

View Postgnasher, on 2015-August-16, 02:57, said:

How about opening 1? You'd probably still get to 3NT, but the chance of a club lead would be a lot less.

My partnership specifically agrees to open 1 with this shape, even with a 4-card diamond suit. That way our 1 opener promises at least a bit of shape. Not perfect but works pretty well.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users