BBO Discussion Forums: ATB: Who misunderestimated most? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

ATB: Who misunderestimated most?

Poll: ATB: Who misunderestimated most? (22 member(s) have cast votes)

AtB

1. Entirely N to blame (1 votes [4.55%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.55%

2. Mostly N to blame (1 votes [4.55%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.55%

3. Equal blame (3 votes [13.64%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 13.64%

4. Mostly S to blame (8 votes [36.36%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 36.36%

5. Entirely S to blame (9 votes [40.91%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 40.91%

6. No blame (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

... and why? (multiple choice)

1. N should have bid something more encouraging than 3D (7 votes [15.22%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 15.22%

2. N should have advanced 1H over 1D (1 votes [2.17%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.17%

3. S should have started with 1N (9 votes [19.57%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 19.57%

4. S should have started with X (5 votes [10.87%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.87%

5. S should have rebid 2N over 2C (4 votes [8.70%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.70%

6. S should have rebid 3N over 2C (6 votes [13.04%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 13.04%

7. S should have bid on over 3D (bid what?) (14 votes [30.43%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 30.43%

8. Other (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-August-14, 13:30

MPs with two BBFers, but very few agreements.

N thought that S was derelict in failing to show a C stop or a balanced hand. S thought that N had only shown about an 8 count, so didn't want to admit to what he thought a poor stop unless N showed some extras. What should have happened?
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#2 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2015-August-14, 13:54

South gets the big share of the blame. I marked other because I think South missed the boat twice in the auction.

First, South has 15 HCP, a balanced hand, and a stopper. What's wrong with a simple 1 NT overcall unless you're playing that as something unusual?

Second, a cue of opener's suit by North shows at least 11+ value minimum and is unlimited. It's the normal way to show a game invitational or better hand opposite a TO double. Without that much, advancer simply makes a suit bid in 4+ card suit -- 1 of a suit 0-7, 2 of a suit 8-10 value.

After 3 , North bids 3 simply showing something in to go along at least invitational values. With stoppers in the other suits and a big fit, South has an easy 3 NT bid at MPs.

#3 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2015-August-14, 14:12

At least 33 beats 5D.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#4 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2015-August-14, 14:22

Eh, how is "North should have advanced 1" an option? With 12 points?

2 may or may not be the right bid but with "few agreements" you've got to shoulder at least some of the blame when you choose it and it doesn't work out.

Meanwhile, were the opps playing Acol or something? If opps are playing some sort of strong NT, 5-card major system there is really no reason at all to be fussy about your club stopper, Ax is more than sufficient.

It seems both partners set out to make the auction as difficult as possible, and both succeeded. No blame, only praise for achieving your goals. ;)
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#5 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-14, 14:24

While 2 may be murky, in context of south's hand it definitely creates a game force. 100% south.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#6 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-14, 14:33

Mostly south, partly north.

2c=lmt+ not 8, not gf
3c=extras, gf

clearly the big problem here is north thought after 3c they were in a gf situation and they were. South thought north had only 8 for some reason.

#7 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-14, 14:34

View Postmgoetze, on 2015-August-14, 14:22, said:

It would only make sense if you think 1 is forcing, obv. I don't know what, if anything, is standard here.

#8 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-14, 15:35

View PostJinksy, on 2015-August-14, 14:34, said:

It would only make sense if you think 1 is forcing, obv. I don't know what, if anything, is standard here.

Wait, for some reason I saw South having doubled rather than bid 1. I guess it seemed too absurd.

OK this is easy then, South chose the 3rd-best option and it clearly wasn't good enough.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#9 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-14, 16:55

Wait, for some reason I saw South having doubled rather than bid 1♦. I guess it seemed too absurd.

That was an error when I first posted, but I fixed it before anyone replied :\

#10 User is offline   BillPatch 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:income taxes, american history, energy

Posted 2015-August-14, 20:56

I ATB 95% to S, thus most of the blame. I agree with N's bidding, but anytime bidding blows up with no agreements I see some shared blame. Both double and 1NT would have been better, South's hand would have been ideal for a major suit game if partner had 8+ HCP and a five card major. the 3 club counter cue only makes sense if it offers a choice of 3NT, which South could have offered by bidding 3NT next. Without agreements partner might not misinterpret that sequence as a partial stopper rather than Ax, or whether counter cue allowed N to stop at 4 of minor after S bid 3NT. South's final pass deserves the majority of the blame, surely the 3 recue set up a force to 3NT if not to game. By the way, I attribute a bonus 50% of the blame to the problem setter; 10% for originally misquoting the auction, and 40% for not specifying whether they were playing MPs or "real bridge."

#11 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-15, 01:29

i don't like 3d but the pass is worse.

south should bid 3nt over 3d which describes his hand perfectly - balanced hand, weak club stop, values for game.

north has modest extras and a 4th trump, so i don't think there was much danger if he did something more productive, like 3s.

8 counts are not UCBs.

as for the orignal 1D, i don't hate it. i would hate 1nt.

#12 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-15, 02:00

View PostBillPatch, on 2015-August-14, 20:56, said:

By the way, I attribute a bonus 50% of the blame to the problem setter; 10% for originally misquoting the auction, and 40% for not specifying whether they were playing MPs or "real bridge."

Then I hope you will accept a further 40% for failing to observe the word 'MPs'.

#13 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-15, 02:04

View Postwank, on 2015-August-15, 01:29, said:

south should bid 3nt over 3d which describes his hand perfectly - balanced hand, weak club stop, values for game.

north has modest extras and a 4th trump, so i don't think there was much danger if he did something more productive, like 3s.

8 counts are not UCBs.

How would you rate an initial X?

#14 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2015-August-15, 02:28

i would just always x with the south hand, i pretty much think equal blame maybe a bit more to south but north hardly covers himself in glory either.
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#15 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-15, 02:42

100 % South
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#16 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-15, 05:03

Starting with 1NT seems best. I have a 15 count, a five card suit that can reasonable be expected to proved some tricks, and stops in every suit. It's true I like to have more nines and tens when I choose NT over a suit, but I go with 1NT. Having three cards in each major is an asset, since I will be delighted to accept a transfer whether it is on a weak hand or a strong hand. The fact that I only stop clubs once bothers me not at all.

Now suppose I start with 1D and partner bids 2C. I checked both that S should bid 2NT and 3NT. Myself, I think the 2C shows more than an 8 count. With an 8 count I raise diamonds if I have diamonds and either pass or bid something, maybe 1Nt, with a decent 8 count and scattered values. At any rate, I don't bid 2C.

So if 2C couold be on an 8 count then 2NT is a sensible response to 2C. If, as I think, 2C shows either a diamond fot and 10+ or else quite a big hand, then 3NT seems right.

There are choices, and there are agreements. We choose as best we can, but an agreement to bid 2C on an 8 count seems weird to me.
Ken

#17 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-15, 06:21

View Postmgoetze, on 2015-August-14, 14:22, said:

Jinksy is British and the most common agreement there is for a new suit to be forcing. You can also see this bias in 2 being assumed to be a UCB.

I think it is clear that South here takes the blame. There are lots of possibilities depending on what sort of agreements are in place but in my book North showed ~10-12 with a diamond fit and for South to pass that in 3 is difficult to support. At the end of the day though this comes down to expectation and the lack of agreements. South clearly thought North was showing ~8-9 with a diamond fit. If that is standard for the country/area where this pair come from then I will revise my opinion.
(-: Zel :-)

#18 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-15, 06:43

View PostZelandakh, on 2015-August-15, 06:21, said:

Jinksy is British and the most common agreement there is for a new suit to be forcing. You can also see this bias in 2 being assumed to be a UCB.

No, I'm sure even in Britain (1)-X-1 (the originally posted auction I was commenting on) is not forcing.

I do play (1)-1-1 as forcing myself... come to think of it most of the proponents of it being non-forcing that I've met have been British.
    -- Bertrand Russell

#19 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-15, 08:55

Not starting with 1nt is glass half empty bidding especially at mp's. 100% south for starting the rot and then hammering it home after a cue bid by north.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#20 User is offline   BillPatch 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:income taxes, american history, energy

Posted 2015-August-15, 09:01

View Postwank, on 2015-August-15, 01:29, said:

8 counts are not UCBs.

Assuming that you have another way to express a strong hand, most traditional systems don't, at least among English speaking
world.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users