Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What's the Magic Auction?

#1 User is offline   iandayre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-August-11, 13:08

This is not a criticism of GIB. It probably made a sound choice given the information it had.

http://tinyurl.com/q88xjnt

The standard auction - as I and most others bid it - led to a lead and the defense taking the first 5 tricks. I did well not to lose another trick, winning 0.9 IMPS.

Only one declarer made 3NT. My first thought was a direct 3NT response. But where that occurred, W played AK of and another, once again taking the first 5 tricks. So what was the "magic" auction that deflected the D lead? A direct (non-forcing) 2NT response holding 14 HCP! So in order to win 12.2 IMPS all you had to do was grossly misstate both your shape and strength.

That's bridge sometimes.

#2 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-11, 13:48

The real magic auction gets you to 4 I suspect, not sure you can do it with GIB. Do you know which side 3N was made from ? I suspect somebody creatively found a diamond bid on the way.

#3 User is offline   iandayre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-11, 14:25

View PostCyberyeti, on 2015-August-11, 13:48, said:

The real magic auction gets you to 4 I suspect, not sure you can do it with GIB. Do you know which side 3N was made from ? I suspect somebody creatively found a diamond bid on the way.

I am not trying to be snarky, but please re-read the OP, your question is answered.

And yes 4H is the winning spot, but I have to admit that I also rebid 1NT with the N hand, with any partner.

#4 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-11, 15:30

View Postiandayre, on 2015-August-11, 14:25, said:

I am not trying to be snarky, but please re-read the OP, your question is answered.

And yes 4H is the winning spot, but I have to admit that I also rebid 1NT with the N hand, with any partner.

Sorry, I read your 2N as a question not an exclamation.

Using the system I play but changing the NT range (I normally play weak), we would bid 4 1-1-1N-2(asking)-2(3 minimum not denying 4)-2(4 and forcing)-3(4SF no stop)-4

I also wonder if 1N-2-2-3N would get the diamond lead, people often try to pick the major dummy doesn't have.

#5 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2015-August-12, 14:52

you cant bid 2N with 14 pts, you'lll miss easy games. plus opener will likely bid 3N anyways.
Just one of those hands.
Sarcasm is a state of mind

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users