BBO Discussion Forums: How about a pased partner cuebing twice? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How about a pased partner cuebing twice?

#1 User is offline   gedikk 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-August-11, 05:05

IMPs table. N-S are playing 2/1, 5542 and weak jumps.
The auction went in this not very common format. North fell in love with his hand upon 1 opening and decided to probe for 3NT, despite the chance of losing a 9-trick part-score was not slim.
Redouble was ruled out due to 9+ fit and improbable penalizing of a lower level contract.
Instead of 2, a jump to 2NT would show a maximum fit as well, but place a wrong dealer of an eventual 3NT.
However, South had a hard time deciphering pd's message. Were North's 2...3 bids unarguably forcing with a fit in diamonds, or they could convey some other meaning? You are welcome to offer your view.

This post has been edited by gedikk: 2015-August-11, 08:49

#2 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-August-11, 06:10

a) the N hand would never have been passed by me, an ace and AKxxx is worth more than many flat 12 counts (K&R gives 12.7, I wouldn't rate it quite that high), in fact K&R rates it a full point better than the S hand

b) I'd have bid (or redoubled if that's all you have available to show a hand) over the double

c) to me 3 is very suggestive of that hand type, good diamond fit looking for 3N if partner has a heart stop.

#3 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-11, 06:52

Trouble was brewing early when xx was discarded for insufficient reason. There are many reasons xx can be used there and a later penalty is only one of those options. The main point of xx is to suggest to partner this is probably our hand (especially in the case of a passed hand) and then let the partnership comfortably keep the bidding low if both are minimum or game force if opener (or responder on other hands) is strong enough to force to game. Whi8le I probably would have passed Axx Kx Axx xxxxx the current hand with the AK concentrated in the 5 card dia suit makes not only for a great lead director but has the (imho) 2+ defensive tricks making life much easier for partner in any competitive bidding situation situation (just a side thought).

Since it is clearly impossible for partner to have long hearts and partner did p is almost assuredly not short in hearts your side should either try 3n or settle for 4d. The final result will be skewed somewhat sihnce responder spent the entire hand trying to make up for having passed and then no xx. I would probalby just bid 4d with my less than desirable minimum and speculative heart J and dia QJ since we strongly suspect dia length from p. If those speculative cards were converted to morte useful cards I would gamble 3n
and if we were vul 3n is much more appetizing.

#4 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2015-August-11, 12:22

The criminal action was North passing initially. IMO, North's hand 11 HCP with 3 QTS is always an opener. Once responder passes, he is essentially denying opening values. The subsequent cue bidding is North trying to make up for the initial bidding mistake. The problem is that opener will never believe responder has a hand equivalent to an opener.

What North bids is subject to partner agreement. For some folks, Redouble is the only way to show a good (10+) hand. For others, it implies values, but no fit. If it implies no fit, then another means is needed to show fitting hands. Many will play Jordan (2 NT=limit raise or better) directly over a takeout double in this situation. Others might retain playing inverted minors, so 2 over the double would show 10+, presumably 5, and no 4 card majors.

After Jordan, opener either bids 3 or 3 NT. With the T/O double bidder certainly holding the majors, opener holding major suit tenace positions under the doubler might well opt for 3 instead of 3 NT. The reason is that the major honors are likely to be offside with the lead going through opener's hand. As a result, the opening hand has lost some value.

In the actual auction, the 2 cue itself showed a max pass hand presumably a good 10 or 11 that's just under an opener. North should realize that opener (South) had the chance to bid 2 NT over the cue but didn't. South also had the opportunity to bid a stopper and didn't. Maybe North should consider just playing 3 since partner isn't exploring for NT.

But, of course, North pushed on trying to make up for previous underbids.

#5 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-11, 12:31

OK, north could use a bidding lesson, to say the least. All four of his calls in this auction were bad. I wouldn't call it interesting though.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#6 User is offline   ladydoc 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-August-17, 16:16

The bidding should be (omitting opps) 1D... 2D (absolute game force is the way we play it, no four card major).... 3 Clubs by north.. and 3NT by south... all pass
It seems simple.
I realize not all partnerships play our system (walsh, 2/1, with a few amendments, but this hand is a no brainer. Ace-King, Ace is always an opener.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users