BBO Discussion Forums: stayman and transfers after intervention - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

stayman and transfers after intervention

#1 User is offline   123600 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-August-10, 19:21

I have heard the expression syms off syms on after interference. i know 1nt-2C X is stole my bid and is stayman. ACBL says syms off after any int. bid. I can see with many conventional bids after 1NT it may not make sense to ask for a transfer to a major. BUT if you know your OPs CC why not bid X over 2D ( stole my bid) to transfer to H or bid 2H to ask for S. MY idea is to alert this. MY ftf partner play this way and today i was told in no uncertain terms i cannot do this and i was making an unsportsmanlike bid.
Please help

#2 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-August-10, 19:24

Your method may not be best, but I cannot imagine any jurisdiction where it would be illegal. The important thing is disclosure.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#3 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2015-August-10, 19:33

The reason not to do it is that there is usually a better use for the double, but of course it depends on what the opps are playing exactly. There are jurisdictions where it is disallowed to alert any double, but you didn't specify where you're from so we can't help you with that. I will agree that it is hard to imagine a jurisdiction where double showing hearts would be illegal.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#4 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-11, 03:29

doubling 2 to show hearts is 100% legal, though perhaps not a very good idea.

#5 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-11, 03:35

Your method is fine, just make sure to discuss:
- if double is hearts, how do you ask for a four card hearts?
- Is opener allowed to pass the double with 4+ diamonds and a doubleton hearts?
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#6 User is offline   frisbee 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-August-11, 08:09

In a standard ACBL GCC (General Convention Chart) tournament, Stolen Bid doubles are allowed and must be Alerted ... note that you "Alert", you do not announce "Transfer". The normal (ACBL GCC) meaning of the Double (except over 2) is Penalty, so the Double must be Alerted when it is not Penalty. You can play Stolen Bid doubles, but make certain that both partners understand what the subsequent bids mean ... too often, both partners know what the first bid means, but neither partner is certain what the next bids mean, which is a good reason not to play that convention.

Playing Stolen Bid doubles, when the auction goes: 1NT - (2) - 2 ... and you mean the 2 bid as a Transfer to , it must be Alerted by Partner.

As others mention, it is debatable whether Stolen Bid doubles are useful or not. The last survey that I saw (maybe a year ago) showed that the great majority of good, experienced tournament players used the Double as Penalty and most inexperienced players used the Double as a Transfer (Stolen Bid).

#7 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2015-August-11, 15:27

View Postfrisbee, on 2015-August-11, 08:09, said:

As others mention, it is debatable whether Stolen Bid doubles are useful or not. The last survey that I saw (maybe a year ago) showed that the great majority of good, experienced tournament players used the Double as Penalty and most inexperienced players used the Double as a Transfer (Stolen Bid).

I am surprised by this. Even where strong NT is common, I would have expected takeout to be a popular choice.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#8 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-12, 01:00

View PostVampyr, on 2015-August-11, 15:27, said:

I am surprised by this. Even where strong NT is common, I would have expected takeout to be a popular choice.

I would say especially where strong nt is common. If you play weak nt, opps are under more presure to bid with hands with points but dobious shape and suit quality, so penalty double becomes more attractive. And playing weak nt, it is less safe for opener to reopen which again makes penalty double more attractive.

I am not saying that you should play penalty double if you play weak notrump. But playing strong I think it is very clear that you should play take-out.

By the way, I am not convinced that stolen bid is so bad if you play strong NT. The advantage of making opener declare is much bigger when opener's LHO has shown a suit for his partner to lead.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#9 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2015-August-12, 05:26

Out of interest, have you considered a simple form of Rubensohl instead? For example, over a natural 2:-

X = takeout
2M = nat, competitive
2NT = clubs, INV+
3 = Stayman-like, GF
3 = 5+ hearts, INV+
3 = 5+ spades, INV+
3 = stopper ask
3NT = to play
(-: Zel :-)

#10 User is offline   Siegmund 

• Alchemist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Creator of the 'grbbridge' LaTeX typesetting package.

Posted 2015-August-12, 10:05

It's not a scientific survey, and I do play in a relatively oldfashioned part of North America... but don't be surprised: I can't remember ever having a partner propose 2-level takeout doubles over a strong notrump when we filled out our card. I do know a couple of weak notrumpers who do it.

I've had plenty of people play it as takeout against me -- almost all of them beginners who had no idea that 1NT-2D-X might be different than 1H-2D-X. The ones who haven't yet been taught Stolen Bid by their friends. Heh. (There are a few good regular partnerships who do it, but they are an invisibly tiny minority where I am.)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users