• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Can you do better?

#1 User is offline   Shavit1 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-August-09, 16:41

Opening lead: Q.
Declarer won the Ace and led a trump to the Ace, dropping the Jack from West.
On the second round of trump, West discarded a small heart.
Declarer then ran the 10 for a finesse.
Can you find a better line?

#2 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-August-09, 17:19

I see an improvement.

Ruff a heart at trick 2 in case West has a singleton J or T.

you now have the entries in dummy to ruff 3 hearts and can play a trump coup against East when West shows out even if the club finesse fails.

Rainer Herrmann

#3 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-09, 17:43

Heart ruff at trick 2 is standard.

#4 User is offline   emalka 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-August-09, 23:57

Still only 11 tricks without club finesse: 7 spades, 1 heart, 2 diamonds, 1 club, but if East is 4-4-2-3 with club king it is 12 tricks.

#5 User is offline   WesleyC 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-August-10, 01:06

View Postemalka, on 2015-August-09, 23:57, said:

Still only 11 tricks without club finesse: 7 spades, 1 heart, 2 diamonds, 1 club, but if East is 4-4-2-3 with club king it is 12 tricks.

Even if you run the T and it loses to East's K, you've still got 3 club tricks on the table. If east is (say) 4432 or 4342 they can ruff the 3rd club but then you over-ruff, draw trumps and cross in diamonds to cash the final club winner making 7 spades 1 heart 2 diamonds and 2 clubs. There are some distributions where you might struggle if East can discard diamonds rather than ruffing (eg 4612 or 4522), but you should make it home against most common distributions.

#6 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2015-August-10, 15:10

I have the same question that I had on your other thread: why have you posted this hand? Do you want to learn something, if so what?

#7 User is offline   Shavit1 

• PipPip

Posted 2015-August-12, 02:00

Deleted

#8 User is offline   Shavit1 

• PipPip

Posted 2015-August-12, 02:39

View PostFrancesHinden, on 2015-August-10, 15:10, said:

I have the same question that I had on your other thread: why have you posted this hand? Do you want to learn something, if so what?

I know the solution but also got the idea that this is not the appropriate place to post such elementary hands.
Thanks!

#9 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2015-August-12, 10:47

Every few years we get someone that posts a book hand. Or several.

Its fine as long as you cite the source and don't seem clever about the presentation.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#10 User is offline   Shavit1 

• PipPip

Posted 2015-August-12, 11:15

View PostPhil, on 2015-August-12, 10:47, said:

Every few years we get someone that posts a book hand. Or several.

Its fine as long as you cite the source and don't seem clever about the presentation.

I have this hand (among hundreds) saved on my comp, not having even a single clue about its source. Can you direct me to the book where this hand is located? Appreciate your kindness!

#11 User is offline   Shavit1 

• PipPip

Posted 2015-August-12, 15:49

View PostWesleyC, on 2015-August-10, 01:06, said:

Even if you run the T and it loses to East's K, you've still got 3 club tricks on the table. If east is (say) 4432 or 4342 they can ruff the 3rd club but then you over-ruff, draw trumps and cross in diamonds to cash the final club winner making 7 spades 1 heart 2 diamonds and 2 clubs. There are some distributions where you might struggle if East can discard diamonds rather than ruffing (eg 4612 or 4522), but you should make it home against most common distributions.

How would you play against 5332 in East (assuming K is onside)?

#12 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2015-August-12, 16:17

View PostShavit1, on 2015-August-12, 15:49, said:

How would you play against 5332 in East (assuming K is onside)?

not suitable for the expert forum. it is trivial.

however:

The precise sequence depends on what East does as we elope with our trump (my first acquaintance with term 'elopement' was in Adventures in Card Play, but elopement has been a standard part of technique for a long time).

We start with ruffing a heart at trick 2: this is so basic that no self-respecting expert would fail to get this right if paying any attention.

Top spade, revealing the break.

We can no longer avoid a spade loser, since rho has J1087 and we hold KQ96x, but this is still basic

The precise sequence depends on when and with what East ruffs in. However, at some point we will end up pitching a diamond, letting him score his inevitable trump trick. We'd certainly start by hooking a club, ruffing a heart, hooking a club, and then trying to cash the club Ace, since RHO may be 2=3 minors, not 3=2, etc.

The point is that he cannot stop us eloping with our trumps unless we screw this up (as in not ruffing a heart at trick 2, for example).
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#13 User is offline   Shavit1 

• PipPip

Posted 2015-August-12, 16:41

View Postmikeh, on 2015-August-12, 16:17, said:

not suitable for the expert forum. it is trivial.

however:

The precise sequence depends on what East does as we elope with our trump (my first acquaintance with term 'elopement' was in Adventures in Card Play, but elopement has been a standard part of technique for a long time).

We start with ruffing a heart at trick 2: this is so basic that no self-respecting expert would fail to get this right if paying any attention.

Top spade, revealing the break.

We can no longer avoid a spade loser, since rho has J1087 and we hold KQ96x, but this is still basic

The precise sequence depends on when and with what East ruffs in. However, at some point we will end up pitching a diamond, letting him score his inevitable trump trick. We'd certainly start by hooking a club, ruffing a heart, hooking a club, and then trying to cash the club Ace, since RHO may be 2=3 minors, not 3=2, etc.

The point is that he cannot stop us eloping with our trumps unless we screw this up (as in not ruffing a heart at trick 2, for example).

...or as in not overtaking the 10 with the Jack in order to gain a vital entry. But, as you said, this is trivial :)

#14 User is offline   beautyleg 

• PipPip
  • Interests:I am finding advanced+ players to enjoy bridge together.

Posted 2015-August-13, 21:08

Of course the declare must try to lose his diamond loser on clubs of dummy. The contract would still go down with unbalanced trump fit and CK in 2+cards on east. But the main problem is the slam try of dummy. Is 18hcp+weak usually good for slam?

#15 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2015-August-14, 01:33

View PostShavit1, on 2015-August-12, 16:41, said:

...or as in not overtaking the 10 with the Jack in order to gain a vital entry. But, as you said, this is trivial :)

If you read his line of play, you see overtaking the club is implicit because the next trick involves playing a heart from dummy.

Hands that come up at the table - such as WesleyC's posted at a similar time to this - are far more interesting because they often have a theme that isn't covered in standard textbooks on play.
I would never expect to go down in your 7S contract if I was paying any attention. Going off with a trump suit of AKQx opposite J9xx by not forseeing a possible trump promotion in 6 tricks time is much easier.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users