BBO Discussion Forums: playing in NT instead of the known Major suit fit - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

playing in NT instead of the known Major suit fit GIB bidding error

#1 User is offline   frisbee 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-August-08, 17:06

I have been asked to post (within reason) clear bidding errors in Robot tournaments, so here is another ...

Clearly, the Robot should bid 4 over 3 instead of 3NT (because of the known 8+ card Major suit fit). The description (which you can confirm if you must insist on clicking on the picture) describes the 3NT bid as showing 4 s and no more than 3 s. If that is what the Robot actually held, then I would definitely agree with the 3NT bid. Here, however, the Robot holds 4 s and only 2 s.

I hope that GIB does not peek, since 3NT is cold against any defense and 4 can be defeated with any reasonable defense, but that is the only rationale that I can imagine for the Robot's 3NT bid.

#2 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2015-August-08, 17:47

yeah well south has 5. probably not making any game with 4. Gib is optimistic looking for game with 2 points. Even if south a max communication will make game difficult.
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#3 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-August-09, 00:56

Gib probably switched from rule mode to sim mode mid auction.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#4 User is offline   frisbee 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-August-09, 07:09

Yes, Steve, playing Results, you certainly belong in 3NT instead of 4. In a tournament, I would be rewarding such good fortune by assigning a Monitor to watch that Pair.

This hand was reported to try to have an apparent programming error corrected.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users